Author Topic: Should the Cavs have kept Wade, Crowder, and Rose?  (Read 2862 times)

Re: Should the Cavs have kept Wade, Crowder, and Rose?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 05:32:49 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
The better question is should they have kept Irving? Even if he got the Knee operated on like he threatend would your roster he ant worse? Maybe they could have talked him into coming back.

Looking back its amazing. Most of this fan base (including myself) were desperately anti trading IT. When the deal happened most felt we have dramatically overplayed. Even when the hysteria died down we as a fan base still felt we overplayed but accepted the long term doubts on IT. Now we're talking about how outrageous it is that they trade d Irving!

There was a vocal minority who were calling for this trade in the weeks leading up to it, hindsight makes them look great. I can't remember all of them but IanMello was definitely one of them
still looked like an overpayment based on info at that time. 
- IT was supposedly just in need of rest, not surgery, to return to form. 
- Crowder was a solid/decent SF that could play quality D when motivated.
- Zizic looked like a decent big man prospect.
- Brooklyn pick projected top 5 (or top 8 ) in a loaded draft.

only reason this doesn't still look like an overpay is IT is hurt worse than advertised last summer.  If he was able to come back to be 90% of what he was last year pre-injury, Cavs wouldn't have these scoring issues where Lebron has to carry the full load.  of course other playoff teams would pick on IT defensively like they did when he played for us the previous 2 years but that's a different story. 

It's also on Cleveland not being able to fully utilize Crowder.  The guy can play but they used him poorly.

That's just optics. Utilisation of Crowder is minor, the Brooklyn pick value was subjective. I watched the Nets when we got the top pick in 2017, they did not look like a team that would repeat that feat. How many times have guys with serious injuries not come back the same?

I'm just saying there were some who called it and that should be respected. We're all guilty of overvaluing our own at times, this was one of those times.

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 05:43:08 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I think Rose would have really helped them this series. Yes we would have destroyed him on defense, but they can't score or stop us when Lebron is off the floor. Rose can still generate points.

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 06:09:33 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
The better question is should they have kept Irving? Even if he got the Knee operated on like he threatend would your roster he ant worse? Maybe they could have talked him into coming back.

Looking back its amazing. Most of this fan base (including myself) were desperately anti trading IT. When the deal happened most felt we have dramatically overplayed. Even when the hysteria died down we as a fan base still felt we overplayed but accepted the long term doubts on IT. Now we're talking about how outrageous it is that they trade d Irving!

There was a vocal minority who were calling for this trade in the weeks leading up to it, hindsight makes them look great. I can't remember all of them but IanMello was definitely one of them
still looked like an overpayment based on info at that time. 
- IT was supposedly just in need of rest, not surgery, to return to form. 
- Crowder was a solid/decent SF that could play quality D when motivated.
- Zizic looked like a decent big man prospect.
- Brooklyn pick projected top 5 (or top 8 ) in a loaded draft.

only reason this doesn't still look like an overpay is IT is hurt worse than advertised last summer.  If he was able to come back to be 90% of what he was last year pre-injury, Cavs wouldn't have these scoring issues where Lebron has to carry the full load.  of course other playoff teams would pick on IT defensively like they did when he played for us the previous 2 years but that's a different story. 

It's also on Cleveland not being able to fully utilize Crowder.  The guy can play but they used him poorly.

That's just optics. Utilisation of Crowder is minor, the Brooklyn pick value was subjective. I watched the Nets when we got the top pick in 2017, they did not look like a team that would repeat that feat. How many times have guys with serious injuries not come back the same?

I'm just saying there were some who called it and that should be respected. We're all guilty of overvaluing our own at times, this was one of those times.

Ya I didnt think it was a massive overpay, based mostly on the fact I thought IT was a small guard who I didnt want to pay and I liked that moving Jae opened more minutes for young guys. I didnt like giving up the pick, but thats the cost of doing business. It turned out more lopsided than thought, and I didnt hate it.

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 07:24:57 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Crowder: possibly, but he was pretty bad on the Cavs. He could be a tad more useful now given that the Celtics' biggest advantage in this series has been their wing depth.

Wade and Rose: absolutely. Neither were good fits given that they're not good shooters or reliable defenders. As others pointed out, it was clear that Wade absolutely hated it there so his departure was inevitable.

If anything, the Cavs should have gone for more playoff proven vets. Getting George Hill wasn't a bad idea, but other possibilities were Wes Matthews or Tyson Chandler, who I think could have helped them.