Author Topic: CB Long Term Keeper H2H League (Looking for ONE owner)  (Read 634022 times)

CB Long Term Keeper H2H League (Looking for ONE owner)
« on: August 18, 2010, 02:28:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
About the Salary Cap
The Salary Cap is $250.  The cap only applies to the auction.  Once the auction is over you can go over the cap.  Since we are starting fresh, we will all start the auction with zero dollars.  In future years you will see the value of quality, low priced keepers.  For now you just need to budget for 15 player.  As your roster fills You must keep a minimum of $1 per open slot.  Hypothetically you could bid $236 on one guy, and $1 for 14 guys, but that would be dumb.
The Auction

The auction will be held Monday-through-Friday on this thread.  All free agents are available for bidding.

Bidding starts at as low as $1.  If you want to outbid someone you simply repost with a higher bid highlighted in red.  Bidding will continue for any given player until midnight of the calendar day following the most recent bid. If there are no more bids on a player by the expiration time the high bidder is awarded the player at the salary of the high bid and that amount is counted towards the $250 cap. "Each day's bidding ends at either midnight or 15 minutes after the last bid, whichever is later.  The 15 minutes restarts with each bid that's made, even if it's after midnight." Players won in the auction have 2 year contracts, with a 3rd year option.

*Bids may occur during Saturdays and Sundays, but the expiration of an auction may only occur on weekdays.  Players not receiving bids will go into the free agent pool and be available once the auction is over.

There may end up being a ton of players up for auction simultaneously so don't get caught spending in too many places at once and plan according the schedule.  YOU MAY NOT RETRACT A BID. *One exception is if you bid the same amount as another player and your bid shows up after the initial bid - in which case you will have to rebid or pass.

Trades will be allowed during the auction, but CUTS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED until all rosters have been filled.

Roster Considerations

We do not use positional requirements.  My feeling has always been that basketball players don't have to stand in a set position and flow freely quite often between their stated positions, so why stick them to a slot.  It's their stats we're after, not their position.  Chances are if you draft a bunch of centers you're going to do well in blocks and rebounds...Basically, mold your team however you like.

The Future

Sadly a lot of the long term stuff of this league won't really kick in until the 2nd or 3rd season.  I don't want to get too bogged down with the keeper rules just yet, but feel free to ask any questions.

I'm sure I'll think of more stuff, but I wanted to get this down while I had the wherewithal.

I've been running a keeper roto league for 19 years (time flies).  Over the years we've made quite a few tweaks, but in recent years not so many.  I believe we have finally achieved an excellent balance with this league.  It's a bit complex at the start, but the long term decision making, trade possibilities, college drafts etc...add a nice mix.

What I'm interested in doing is trying he basic keeper formula of the roto league for a Head to Head league.

There generally are two preseason events - the college draft and the annual auction to fill out rosters (you bid on players and fit their salaries under a cap).  To start the league from scratch we'd forgo the college draft (since a great part of the college draft is based on reverse standing from the previous year).  All player would be bid on for year one.

Because of all of the variable info needed for this type of league we use CBS.  They cost some money, so there would be a $10 fee per team (my roto league plays for a pot too, but we'd forgo that until the league decides they want to). 

What I foresee for the early stages of the auction is dedicating a page for it here for the early stages then finishing up if necessary in a dedicating CBS draft room.  We can hash out the protocol once we've established that there's interest in doing this.

I'm looking for 11 more owners in addition to myself.  I'd like for you to only do this if you're into doing something for the long haul.  The joy of these type leagues for me, is seeing how teams develop over the years.  I'm looking for level headed owners.  I don't like dealing with turmoil.  It's a game!  Please don't jump on board unless you're cool with that.

Here are the rules.  I tweaked what I could from the Roto league (I may have missed a few things).  A lot of these rules are based on minuscule things that have come up over the years. I'll put some notes in red.

ROSTERS & ROSTER MOVEMENT:

Illegal rosters,or illegal moves will result in a $5 fine (FAAB money FAAB is a free agent auction system used during the season) .

ACTIVE is for your 12 active players. If a team is left with more than 12 active players, a fine will be levied, and the most recently activated player will be reserved for that day.

RESERVE is for your 3-man taxi squad

INJURED is for Picks, Farm players farm players would be your drafted rookie players but that will not apply to year 1, or Players on IR (who have missed 5 consecutive NBA games). There is no in-season limit to the amount of players/picks on this portion of your roster.

ELIGIBILITY: A player must officially be on an NBA roster to be eligible for a CB (I'll call this league CB) roster. When a current CB player ceases to be on an NBA roster he loses CB eligibility in 7 days , at which point he will be dropped unless another NBA team signs him in the interim.

A player who has previously been without an NBA team who is signed by an NBA team during the season is not eligible to be signed by a CB team until he has appeared in an NBA game. Once said free agent appears in a game he may be bid on that day (for activation the following day).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CBS Calendar
Take a look at your roster page and familiarize yourself with the columns. The date furthest to the left is the "current" day. CBS flips the calendar 5 minutes before the start of the days first game. We will follow this same system. A complete calendar is available on your homepage or here leaving this here now, but it's a lot simpler once we have a homepage

Farm Roster
again,will not apply to year 1)
Activating farm roster players is a one shot deal. Once you have activated a farm player he may not be placed back on the Farm Reserve. You can activate a Farm Player any day of the week, but you must either cut or legally place a player on IR to make room for him. You may not arbitrarily stash a player on this section of your roster.

Injured Reserve

You may place a player on IR if he has missed 5 consecutive games while on YOUR roster. An eligible player may be replaced by any legal means so long as the result is a legal roster. Once a player on IR plays in an NBA game again you will have 7 "Caboose" days (see CBS Calendar) to activate the player or he will be cut from your roster. The "UA" column on your roster page will list a pertinent date. The UA date is determined by adding 7 days to the date the player returned (ie: player returned on 1/4, the UA date would be 1/11). I update this manually and try to keep on top of it as best as I can, but if I happen to miss the activation date you are still ultimately responsible for activating the player with 7 CBKL days. If you fail to do so he will be cut regardless when I figure it out - even if it's retroactively (basically, keep an eye on your roster).

ADD/DROPS

We will be using CBS FAAB System (free agent auction bidding). Each team will start the season with $100 (plus any unused cap money from the Annual Auction) in FAAB auction money to bid on players. Minimum bid is $1. Tied bids are broken by reverse standings (standings are only updated for this purpose on a weekly basis). The tiebreaker list is posted on the add/drop page.

Cut players will have a 1-day waiver period before they may be picked up again.

Bonus dollars will be awarded to your auction budget for the following events and amounts: Triple-Double $3, Quadruple Double $15, Player-of-the-Week $1, Player-of-the-Month $5. Players must be on your active 12 man roster for the day of Triple Double or Quadruple Double or any day during the period for the P.O.W. or P.O,M. awards in order to be eligible for the bonuses. In the event of a player being on 2 or more rosters over the pertinent period(s) the bonus will be awarded to the owner at the end of the period.

Fines
Illegal transactions or illegal rosters will be subject to fines which will be deducted from your FAAB budget illegal rosters at the rate of $5 per infraction.

Free Agent Salaries

All free-agents, with one notable exception, will have a $5 salary and a 2 year contract. The exception is a player who has been cut and is picked back up before the end of the season at any point. Cut players will retain their contract/salary status for the remainder of the season.

TRADES
You may trade any amount of players or picks from any portion of your roster in exchange for any amount of players or picks from any portion of an opponents roster. You will have a one day's grace period to get your roster legal after a trade. This gives you the remainder of the CBS day from the point where the trade was processed and an entire second day to make your roster legal by any legal means necessary (ie; adding free agents, cutting players, activating a farm or IR player, making another trade etc...). You may not exceed 12 active players at any point. I believe the CBS systems defaults a certain amount of player to active or reserve after a trade anyhow, so I don't think this will be an issue. You may activate acquired players from the the taxi squad to make your roster legal during the week. You may NOT activate pre-existing players from your Taxi squad to make your roster legal during the week. If your roster is not legal by the end of the grace period you will be fined $5 per day. If you keep an excess amount of players on your roster for longer than the grace period players will be cut from your Taxi roster until it is legal (players will be cut in order of lowest salary to highest salary). Off season trading is allowed and carries no restrictions.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRE SEASON STUFF
College Draft not in year1

Each team starts the season with 2 Draft picks. These picks may be traded. Before the main draft, we will have our "College Draft". To be eligible for the college draft a player must be on a current NBA roster, but have never played in an NBA game. Drafted players will be given 2 year contracts with salaries starting at $20 for the first pick then $1 less for each succeeding pick until a $1 salary is reached (at which point the remaining picks will each be assigned $1 salaries).

Draft order will be determined by reverse order of the previous season's standing, with the exception of the top 6 picks which will be determined by lottery as explained below:

All teams that finish out of the playoffs (below 6th place) will have a shot at one of the top 3 picks in the draft. The worst spot that the last place finisher can end up in the draft is 4th. We won't use actual Ping Pong balls (unless someone has a ton of spare ones) but the lottery allotment of chances will work as follows:

(% is odds of landing first pick)

7th:   5 (3.2%)
8th:  10 (6.5%)
9th:  20 (12.9%)
10th: 30 (19.4%)
11th: 40 (25.8%)
12th: 50 (32.3%)

155 Total "Ping Pong Balls" (don't worry I'll handle it - I love that sorta thing). Lottery will be held shortly after the regular season ends.

Top 3 spots get filled randomly, then the rest fall into reverse order of previous seasons standings (as usual). Second round will work in reverse order of standings.

Protected Players
Each team may protect a maximum of 8 Active players or 12 overall players (active and farm combined). A preset deadline will be given for cut-downs and contract decisions.

Salaries & Contracts
Active:
Keepers entering the option year of their contract must either have their contract re-upped for 1 year at $5 or they may play out contracts at their current salaries (thus becoming free agents at the end of the season).

Farm:
Keepers from the previous season's farm roster may either be moved to the Active roster (in which case their salary remains the same but the contract moves to the 2nd year) or maintained on the Farm Roster for an additional $5 salary (in which case they would stay on the 1st year of their contract)

Salary Cap
Cap is $250. This amount applies to the total of a team's keepers' salaries plus the salaries of the players acquired in the Auction. Teams must have a minimum of $1 per open slot entering the Auction to fill their remaining slots of the mandatory 15 player Active roster.

Auction
I'll get into detail on this once we find out what participation is going to be.

DUES

Annual dues are $10

PRIZES
(none for 1st year, we can vote for next year)

The Commissioner's dues are waived. CBS charges $100. Prizes above are based on a 13 team league.

TIEBREAKERS

we can work this out with discussion since these will be different from my roto rules)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:40:51 PM by Redz »
Yup

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Sounds very interesting, I love long haul type leagues and how teams develop over the years.

I also like to think I'm level headed  ;D

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Giddy up, I'm interested, and I'm wayyyyyy more level headed than KWhit10  :P

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Giddy up, I'm interested, and I'm wayyyyyy more level headed than KWhit10  :P

Perhaps we could add "Levelheadedness" as one of the categories.  ;D
Yup

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd probably be interested, though I've never used CBS at all.  I've found ESPN and Yahoo to be very good.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
I couldn't be more into this idea. Finally a chance to get in on a CB league from the ground floor!

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I'd probably be interested, though I've never used CBS at all.  I've found ESPN and Yahoo to be very good.

CBS is necessary for all of the doo-hickeys I have in the league.  It makes it very easy to have a creative league like this.
Yup

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
I am very interested. I have been running leagues for 15 years too. Our last keeper league just ended after 7 years. The last 5 years had the same winner. He miraculously got Lebron & Kobe back when Lebron first came into the league and always managed to draft very well. 3-4 Managers got tired of losing and decided to walk after last season. So I am looking for a new adventure and this sounds great.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Half way there for tentative owners.  Looking for a dozen.

1) Redz
2) Kwhit10
3) bdm860
4) Moranis
5) Potapenko Boxout
6) Timdawgg
Yup

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
return of the bumpasaurus
Yup

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
hmmm...six isn't gonna cut it

any thoughts on recruiting tactics?  patience on my part perhaps  ;)
Yup

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
I'd be interested.  Let me know what the plans are.  Count me in!
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

Offline rondolicious

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 0
I'm interested.

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
8 tentatives...looking for 4 morw

1) Redz