Author Topic: Fab Melo is not Thabeet  (Read 17095 times)

Re: Fab Melo is not Thabeet
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2012, 09:36:06 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Just watched the video and it is clear Melo is a perfect fit for the Celtics. One of his main weaknesses -- doesn't put a body on guys and does not box out on the defensive end. No wonder Danny wanted him.

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2012, 11:13:11 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
No, Melo is not Thabeet because he doesn't run like he has thick rubber bands around his thighs.  Thabeet runs like a total stiff.    Melo isn't the most athletic guy but he's more mobile than Thabeet and his motor is also better.

Melo can't compare with Thabeet as far as college performance goes.  Thabeet was co-Big East player of the Year with DeJuan Blair his final season.  He was excellent in college although with concerns about his motor and weak hands on the boards.

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2012, 11:34:29 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Melo will be somewhat of a project but Boston is the best place he could have landed. If he doesnt pan out here its hopeless for him.
Bigs always take longer to develop, we'll see if he can learn rebounding fundamentals a little better.

A servicable center would be a great get at the 22nd pick..

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2012, 11:46:11 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Just watched the video and it is clear Melo is a perfect fit for the Celtics. One of his main weaknesses -- doesn't put a body on guys and does not box out on the defensive end. No wonder Danny wanted him.

Watch some more videos because he's an excellent box out rebounder. He has one of the highest rates of offensive rebounds in the NCAA. The defensive end isn't relevant to his true rebounding because they are playing a zone and he's often much higher than his team mates on the lower block. Give him a chance before you throw him under the bus. He's a project.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2012, 12:13:23 AM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
Melo will be somewhat of a project but Boston is the best place he could have landed. If he doesnt pan out here its hopeless for him.
Bigs always take longer to develop, we'll see if he can learn rebounding fundamentals a little better.

A servicable center would be a great get at the 22nd pick..

Yeah, I mean we got Perk at 27. And Fab's ceiling is much higher. Ainge knows what he's doing.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2012, 04:37:05 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
Watch some more videos because he's an excellent box out rebounder.

I'm incredibly, incredibly happy to hear that.

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2012, 07:30:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
6 rebounds a game is not expert by any means.   He might have good technique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBk-t40Db6Y

I just don't see it.  What I see is a guy who can grab a board right in front of him.   Who lazily lunging at the ball when boxed out.   I see mediocre hands.   He does grab the open boards with authority and shows some knock for timing on tips.  This of course, can be improved.  Hands are easy but they take work.