Author Topic: Kyrie Apologizes  (Read 4292 times)

Re: Kyrie Apologizes
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2019, 01:35:32 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Here's what I said about this on Reddit.

To be clear, this entire article is about Kyrie’s relationship with the media. They kept taking things he said out of context to make clickbait drama. I showed this in a recent video. He was justifiably ticked off at them and it was starting to show in his mandatory interviews. Meanwhile, people on Twitter/Instagram/Reddit were starting to turn on him based purely on out of context clickbait.

He made it clear that his gripes still stand about how some media manufacture drama, but he confessed he was disappointed in himself for displaying an example that he doesn’t want mimicked.

What he’s apologizing for is his behavior towards the media. If you watch his actual interviews, you'll see that as he got more and more irritated with them, his demeanor was getting progressively more standoffish (which does NOT mean he's standoffish towards his teammates). He’s admitting he hasn’t handled that aspect perfectly. He’s admitting it’s still tough for him and he’s actually had to cut himself off from social media to avoid seeing the nonsense being written about him. He’s specifically saying he wants to try to set a better example on how to handle this social media aspect - which he says former players have no experience dealing with.... and that’s totally true... this is uncharted territory. We’ve never seen a 24/7 NBA media circus like this.

What he is NOT apologizing for is his behavior towards his teammates... because frankly, he probably has nothing to apologize for. As I’ve said before, despite how the media overreacts to his interviews, we have little idea what kyrie is actually like behind closed doors. A lack of media savvy does not mean someone is bad teammate/leader. We’ve seen guys like Rozier refer to him as a great mentor. Marcus Morris said he was a total professional, that everyone on the team loved him and wanted him there. There’s plenty of clips online showing him supporting his teammates, laughing and joking with them in practice, etc. In-context, all of his interviews have consistently shown he believes in his teammates and thinks nobody can beat them in a 7 game series if they play the right way. He has nothing to apologize for here... and he’s not apologizing for it.

You’re going to see this presented as “kyrie apologizes for his behavior towards his teammates this season” and it’s not going to be accurate. Read the article. He’s admitting he hasn’t handled the media well - though I’d argue his behavior towards them has been warranted.

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 03:27:42 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Kyrie Irving with another hot-take after the Celtics loss to the Clippers "We know what we need to do. We need to get out of here. We need to get out of LA."

Somehow, it'll be turned into a jab at the city of LA and LA natives.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2019, 05:40:49 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Here's what I said about this on Reddit.

To be clear, this entire article is about Kyrie’s relationship with the media. They kept taking things he said out of context to make clickbait drama. I showed this in a recent video. He was justifiably ticked off at them and it was starting to show in his mandatory interviews. Meanwhile, people on Twitter/Instagram/Reddit were starting to turn on him based purely on out of context clickbait.

He made it clear that his gripes still stand about how some media manufacture drama, but he confessed he was disappointed in himself for displaying an example that he doesn’t want mimicked.

What he’s apologizing for is his behavior towards the media. If you watch his actual interviews, you'll see that as he got more and more irritated with them, his demeanor was getting progressively more standoffish (which does NOT mean he's standoffish towards his teammates). He’s admitting he hasn’t handled that aspect perfectly. He’s admitting it’s still tough for him and he’s actually had to cut himself off from social media to avoid seeing the nonsense being written about him. He’s specifically saying he wants to try to set a better example on how to handle this social media aspect - which he says former players have no experience dealing with.... and that’s totally true... this is uncharted territory. We’ve never seen a 24/7 NBA media circus like this.

What he is NOT apologizing for is his behavior towards his teammates... because frankly, he probably has nothing to apologize for. As I’ve said before, despite how the media overreacts to his interviews, we have little idea what kyrie is actually like behind closed doors. A lack of media savvy does not mean someone is bad teammate/leader. We’ve seen guys like Rozier refer to him as a great mentor. Marcus Morris said he was a total professional, that everyone on the team loved him and wanted him there. There’s plenty of clips online showing him supporting his teammates, laughing and joking with them in practice, etc. In-context, all of his interviews have consistently shown he believes in his teammates and thinks nobody can beat them in a 7 game series if they play the right way. He has nothing to apologize for here... and he’s not apologizing for it.

You’re going to see this presented as “kyrie apologizes for his behavior towards his teammates this season” and it’s not going to be accurate. Read the article. He’s admitting he hasn’t handled the media well - though I’d argue his behavior towards them has been warranted.

TP. My sentiments exactly. I think he's had his teammates back and they've had his back all season long, other than the Jaylen comment about not pointing fingers.

That said, Kyrie certainly has a lot of room for improvement when it comes to being the public face of a franchise that has huge expectations placed on it - he seems to take media reports a little too personally, particularly the insinuations he is not loyal/is going back on his promise in October of re-signing, all of which were precipitated not by anything he did, but by what someone else (AD) did. He could take a leaf from his mentor LeBum's approach when it comes to dealing with the media and letting it work for you, not against you. But he is young and I'm sure he will figure it out.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2019, 11:34:41 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Mods already wield a heavy hand on this board and are not always consistent. Certain opinion themes will feel pressure to moderate their views or face suspension. We don't need additional tools here to push down unpopular opinions.

Continuing to take not so thinly veiled shots at staff is a bold strategy.  Let's see if it pays off.

We don't suspend people simply based on differing viewpoints.  Plain & simple.   If people are getting suspended, its because of the delivery, simple trolling, or..., I don't know, telling the staff to take their warning and shove it up their you know what.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2019, 04:25:52 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Humble move by Little Mountain.

Looking forward to his handles, his talent AND his continued growth for the next 10 years or so in Green.