Author Topic: Did anyone else know Chris Webber taught a college class at Wake Forest?  (Read 6217 times)

Re: Did anyone else know Chris Webber taught a college class at Wake Forest?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 07:40:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Oh NBA class 101

"How to hate on the Celtics"

By C Webb

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 07:45:52 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Oh NBA class 101

"How to hate on the Celtics"

By C Webb

He gave Rondo much love back in the day - right as he was starting to come into his own in BOS.

RONDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 07:55:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
cmon man. Trigger warnings!

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 08:33:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
What class is he teaching?

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 08:49:16 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 09:13:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
How to take a time out

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 09:16:25 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
"sports storytelling" he seems qualified to teach it with all his experience at TNT.

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2016, 09:19:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Is it typical for colleges to hire people that plead guilty to lying to a grand jury for a class in story telling? Shouldn't story tellers be more successful?

Also...is he gonna stop smoking dope for this class?

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Is it typical for colleges to hire people that plead guilty to lying to a grand jury for a class in story telling? Shouldn't story tellers be more successful?

What could be more successful for a storyteller than an admission that they are telling stories?  Do doctors' patients think the doctors' are farmers?  Also, many of the great artists of the twentieth century were smoking dope. 

As an academic, I fully support wake forest.  This thread is just more evidence that other celtics' fans are effin losers.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

What could be more successful for a storyteller than an admission that they are telling stories?  Do doctors' patients think the doctors' are farmers?  Also, many of the great artists of the twentieth century were smoking dope. 

As an academic, I fully support wake forest.  This thread is just more evidence that other celtics' fans are effin losers.
Webber is an artist now? Academia...it can just do no wrong. Give him tenure already.

Also I really think you ought to issue a trigger warning before you say something like that here.

I wonder how much Webber will get paid. Maybe he's there to help justify their constant tuition increases. It's only about 60K per year to go there.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 09:52:25 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2016, 11:16:57 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
what is the school's ranking?

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2016, 11:26:34 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
who gets a degree in sports storytelling? Seriously.

If you apply for this degree, you deserve to be lectured by the likes of Chris Webber.

I would rather get the stories from the horse than from some nerd that rode the horse after the race.

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2016, 11:28:25 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Does he even have an associate's degree? Does he have any experience teaching on any level? Now he's gonna jump to a grad level course at Wake Forest?

Maybe grad level courses just aren't challenging

These types of "new-age" classes rarely are, especially in areas like sports. They're pretty much "gimmie" classes.
Like gimmie a ton of money or your first born and I give you a degree?

Like there's no real rigorous content or student knowledge evaluation involved. It's not on the same level for rigorousness as traditional college or university courses.

From my experience, the grading is very subjective, and areas like "student participation" are large components of the grade, in the sense that there's no real standard objective evaluation for these types of classes that are largely outside the realm of traditional post-secondary areas of education.

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2016, 11:42:05 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Looks like he's "teaching" a class on sports, race, and society. Other actual teachers and scholars will actually come and teach about the issues of class, culture, and race.

I find this to be highly irresponsible. I could see hiring Webber in a supporting role to give the students aspects regarding his experiences in sports, but having him as a professor without having so much as an associate's degree is totally uncalled for. Virtually every respectable college requires a Master's degree to teach, yet it looks like Webber has no more than a high school degree.

Beyond actually becoming a content expert with a degree, you also gain experience with how the college environment works. Does he have a teaching philosophy? Does he have a grading philosophy? Does he even understand the principles of effective teaching, or even how a college classroom should run? Does he understand how to effectively have a classroom discussion? Does he understand the facilitating role of the teacher? These are all things that one picks up through many years in academia that he's just not going to understand.

But as I said earlier, these types of classes are generally low-quality and not very rigorous in the first place, so it's whatever. I still find this absolutely crazy, and it's the same as famous people's children getting into Harvard and other prestigious schools when they're clearly not qualified.

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2016, 07:46:24 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
what is the school's ranking?
I think US News typically ranks Wake Forest up pretty high. Like around 26-37ish. They seem to compete with BC give or take.

But those rankings are not necessarily dependable because colleges aren't evaluated on outcomes. There's no testing for colleges.