Author Topic: Did anyone else know Chris Webber taught a college class at Wake Forest?  (Read 6233 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I don't think he's in any way qualified to be a college professor, but the quality of higher education is so low now, that maybe it will work out.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/chris-webber-says-he-will-be-a-committed-teacher-for/article_56af8274-400f-5cf9-a85e-5d0cf975a5ca.html

Re: Did anyone else know Chris Webber taught a college class at Wake Forest?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 05:21:45 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thanks for posting this.

I believe he'll make an OUTSTANDING teacher.

As the gentleman in the video is saying - Chris has experienced the highs and lows of the sport - from the high school - college - and Pro level.

He's played with a wide assortment of players.

He's had considerable success - and failure - at each level.

He's had to battle through injuries.

He's an intelligent and learned human being as well.

He will be able to bring a considerable variety of experience to such a position and I wish him well.

The students will benefit from him doing this.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 05:34:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Does he even have an associate's degree? Does he have any experience teaching on any level? Now he's gonna jump to a grad level course at Wake Forest?

Maybe grad level courses just aren't challenging

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 06:00:38 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
http://www.chriswebber.com/theman/

We have to trust that if a prestigious institution like WF is doing this that they're only bringing in someone who can benefit them and the students.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 06:02:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I don't mind optimism, but I don't think it's quite the same as when Columbia brought in Al Gore to teach a course in journalism.

It might be a better deal than when Elizabeth Warren got paid like 300K to teach a course at Harvard.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 06:11:25 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
I don't mind optimism, but I don't think it's quite the same as when Columbia brought in Al Gore to teach a course in journalism.

It might be a better deal than when Elizabeth Warren got paid like 300K to teach a course at Harvard.

Elizabeth Warren is AWESOME.

All I know about her is that just about every time I see her on TV she's taking care of business. She's impressive.

But back to Chris - from what I've read about him I'm certain that bringing him onboard will be beneficial to those students.

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 06:32:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

All I know about her is that just about every time I see her on TV she's taking care of business. She's impressive.

But back to Chris - from what I've read about him I'm certain that bringing him onboard will be beneficial to those students.
If we can equate taking care of business with grandstanding then she definitely takes care of business.

Maybe next we could have Leo Dicaprio teach a class at Boston College about the environment.

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 06:48:42 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

If we can equate taking care of business with grandstanding then she definitely takes care of business.

Maybe next we could have Leo Dicaprio teach a class at Boston College about the environment.

Mr. Leonardo Dicaprio can do NO wrong.

"Catch me if you can" says so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4H2E2YfM_Y

If he wants to teach on the environment I'll sit in on that class.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 06:57:59 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I don't think he's in any way qualified to be a college professor, but the quality of higher education is so low now, that maybe it will work out.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/chris-webber-says-he-will-be-a-committed-teacher-for/article_56af8274-400f-5cf9-a85e-5d0cf975a5ca.html

As a university employee (staffer), I can tell you that teaching experience and a college degree aren't always necessary in order to teach a college class. College programs tend to focus not just on knowledge but on career preparation, and sometimes it helps to bring into the classroom someone who's not a teacher per sé, but is a longtime professional in whatever particular field the class is about. "Industry experts," I guess you can call them. There are, of course, people who are both—trained teacher and industry expert—but that's not always the case.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 07:00:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Did anyone else know Tim Duncan is a published social psychologist? Co-wrote a chapter with his adviser.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/tim-duncans-other-career-as-an-academic-psychologist-1468268919

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 07:10:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Did anyone else know Tim Duncan is a published social psychologist? Co-wrote a chapter with his adviser.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/tim-duncans-other-career-as-an-academic-psychologist-1468268919

Oh really? Did not know that.

Maybe THIS man was one of his subjects.

Or maybe the other way around...

Man I'm going to miss those two.

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 07:14:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I knew he got a degree in psych from Wake

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 07:16:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

As a university employee (staffer), I can tell you that teaching experience and a college degree aren't always necessary in order to teach a college class. College programs tend to focus not just on knowledge but on career preparation, and sometimes it helps to bring into the classroom someone who's not a teacher per sé, but is a longtime professional in whatever particular field the class is about. "Industry experts," I guess you can call them. There are, of course, people who are both—trained teacher and industry expert—but that's not always the case.
Great. Get Bieber and Maculay Culkin!

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 07:23:41 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Does he even have an associate's degree? Does he have any experience teaching on any level? Now he's gonna jump to a grad level course at Wake Forest?

These types of "new-age" classes rarely are, especially in areas like sports. They're pretty much "gimmie" classes.

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 07:32:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

These types of "new-age" classes rarely are, especially in areas like sports. They're pretty much "gimmie" classes.
Like gimmie a ton of money or your first born and I give you a degree?