Author Topic: Biggest Draft Bust?  (Read 6329 times)

Re: Biggest Draft Bust?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2015, 09:35:54 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
WCS.

Would be a mistake to trade up to take him. I could give a flip what Bird says about him. Smokescreen.

That doesn't make sense. Bird made the comment to WCS privately and WCS blurted it to the media. Bird was always known to see the game plays in advance, but not even the legend could've planned for this, game of thrones type of cunning foresight/smokescreen.

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2015, 09:37:29 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Oh, this isn't a thread about the worst bust ever. I can't read.

No you can. That is what I thought.  Another acceptable answer would be Anthoney Bennett

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2015, 09:38:17 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Jahlil Okafor or Emmanuel Mudiay.
I don't think Okafor will be a bust. I think his floor is quite high. I think Okafor should be able to become an Al Jefferson type player at the least. I am not really convinced on Okafor being much more than that though. His athleticism & defense seem too limited. I was disappointed by his speed and mobility. I thought he was meant to be more athletic than that when entering NCAA.

I think Mudiay has definite bust potential. I also think he has star potential (more so than Okafor) and I would roll the dice on him at #2 ... but he has serious flaws with jump-shot, midrange / perimeter scoring, decision making, turnover prone. He could turn into another MCW type PG (Mudiay's floor) if he cannot fix those weaknesses.

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2015, 09:40:32 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
On the flip side one of the biggest steal of the draft has been Isaiah Thomas (last pick of the 2nd round).  Dummy Kings team ,let him walk without getting anything back in return

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2015, 09:41:06 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
WCS.

Would be a mistake to trade up to take him. I could give a flip what Bird says about him. Smokescreen.
Yeah, I think WCS has some bust potential too.

A junior in college were most of the top athletes he is competing against are 1-2 years younger than him and all he can do is 9ppg, 6.5rpg, 1.7bpg in 26mpg. I expect more from someone with his athletic and experience edge.

A junior (nowadays in this weaker NCAA were most top talents leave as freshman or sophomore) should be dominating college competition to high degree if he is going to be a big-time player in the pros.

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 09:45:14 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
WCS.

A junior in college were most of the top athletes he is competing against are 1-2 years younger than him and all he can do is 9ppg, 6.5rpg, 1.7bpg in 26mpg. I expect more from someone with his athletic and experience edge.

A junior (nowadays in this weaker NCAA were most top talents leave as freshman or sophomore) should be dominating college competition to high degree if he is going to be a big-time player in the pros.

But he did dominate. Stats aren't a clear indication of the major impact he had. Defensively he was guarding a lot more perimeter players this year so his block numbers suffered.

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 09:46:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
WCS.

That doesn't make sense. Bird made the comment to WCS privately and WCS blurted it to the media. Bird was always known to see the game plays in advance, but not even the legend could've planned for this, game of thrones type of cunning foresight/smokescreen.

I think you need to use your own judgement/conclusion instead of going by what DE, Bird, Jordan, Etc. says

WCS has bust potential. He is a mediocre rebounder and lacks offensive skills.    If it was not for his height , he is a 20-25 talent level prospect. 

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 09:48:22 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
WCS.

But he did dominate. Stats aren't a clear indication of the major impact he had. Defensively he was guarding a lot more perimeter players this year so his block numbers suffered.

WCS played well. I don't think he was dominant.

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 09:52:01 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If you depend wcs to be your only big guy on the floor i think teams will be disappointed. But if you put him beside Cousins, Aldridge (talented offensive players) that is where his pros will really shine.

Kings are not passing him up imo

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
WCS.

Bird is not a smokescreen kind of guy.   He would tell you exactly what he would do before he would do it, when he would do it and guys still could not stop him.  I don't see him laying smokescreens.

On WCS, I think he will be a better pro than college player.   Pro game is not about zone, it is about mobility.   Guys will guard them one on one, not pack in a zone.   With his athletic ability he might be able to beat a lot of guys with his speed.  It is true he lacks skills but he also has the athletic ability of a small forward in a center body.   

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 09:58:51 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
WCS.

I think you need to use your own judgement/conclusion instead of going by what DE, Bird, Jordan, Etc. says

WCS has bust potential. He is a mediocre rebounder and lacks offensive skills.    If it was not for his height , he is a 20-25 talent level prospect.

I think you should re-read the entire quotes again because your response doesn't make sense.

Also, the height is silly. If it weren't for his height Kaminsky would be Harangody.

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 10:02:04 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
WCS.

Bird is not a smokescreen kind of guy.   He would tell you exactly what he would do before he would do it, when he would do it and guys still could not stop him.  I don't see him laying smokescreens.

On WCS, I think he will be a better pro than college player.   Pro game is not about zone, it is about mobility.   Guys will guard them one on one, not pack in a zone.   With his athletic ability he might be able to beat a lot of guys with his speed.  It is true he lacks skills but he also has the athletic ability of a small forward in a center body.

Bullseye!

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2015, 10:12:38 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
WCS.

I think you should re-read the entire quotes again because your response doesn't make sense.

Also, the height is silly. If it weren't for his height Kaminsky would be Harangody.

Does Harangody even have any handles? His footwork sucks also

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2015, 11:36:11 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
I think you have to weigh draft position when considering a player a bust or not. For example, Porzingis at around 10 was a good value, but now that he's shooting up the draft boards (#3 on the new DraftExpress board) and some teams have even ranked him equal to Okafor , he has legit bust potential.

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2015, 11:50:44 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think you have to weigh draft position when considering a player a bust or not. For example, Porzingis at around 10 was a good value, but now that he's shooting up the draft boards (#3 on the new DraftExpress board) and some teams have even ranked him equal to Okafor , he has legit bust potential.

There is logic to the Sixers taking him at 3, because he will need time to develop, and they can be bad for another year and then draft a quality PG.  They also have the rights to Saric.  The Sixers are going to set themselves up well for the long term. You can hate how they are doing it, but they are patient, and going to stock up with a lot of talent.  They will be the team to beat in the East in 3 years, and for a very, very long time....