Author Topic: What players would you be happy with in the draft  (Read 10631 times)

Re: What players would you be happy with in the draft
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 12:05:48 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Im not sure if this is the right place to post this, but why was Cliff Alexander the #2 prospect out of high school last year?

Ive been looking at him as a potential AB/Sully, who we would be able to steal late in the first due to a bad college season, but with those guys the upside was obvious. AB was an athlete, who could shoot, and play defense with the best of them, Sully was a great rebounded and was really really skilled/ gifted offensively and on the board. However, I dont see the upside that got this guy ranked so high.

I know it must be there, but could someone find it for me?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 12:11:42 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'll try to be realistic in who we are in range to get in the draft.

1.) Myles Turner - love the upside. Needs some work, but the potential is sky high to be a player on both ends of the floor.

2.) Robert Upshaw - I have driven this bandwagon for as long as I have. A lot of red flags but insane upside. I'd be really happy if we get him.

3.) Bobby Portis - I have said before that he may not have a ton of potential, but I love his motor. At the very least, he could be a great 3rd big man coming out of our bench. Think of it as Marreesse Speights who plays on both ends and just never quits on plays. That's going to be a solid pick up.

4.) Jerian Grant - Another kid who I think would be a decent starter and a good bench combo guard. Love his size and his feel for the game.

5.) Montrezll Harrell - I don't dig the lack of shooting, but I adore the way he plays. He's non stop action, goes hard everytime and I believe that he's going to be a player who will have a contagious effect on the others with his energy.

6.) Christian Wood - Mainly due to potential. Great skill set for a 6'11" dude but needs a ton of work, especially physically. This is a kind of pick who we can stick in the D-League for maybe a year and groom, and once he's physically ready, we can move to the main roster. Can't go wrong upside wise. A lengthy Forward who can dribble and score anywhere on the court.

7.) Anthony Brown - potential 2nd round steal. Not a ton of upside, but could be a Danny Green type shooter - defender with size at 6'6".

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 12:13:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Winslow ....... One of the next generation super stars....them all but Smart Danny !   He ll be the LeBron shut down machine in the East.

And

UpShaw .......possible huge gamble ....go for it Danny !

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 12:15:52 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Harrell reminds me of Kenneth Faried which is not a bad thing...getting Wood or Upshaw with the 28th pick would be good
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2015, 12:26:30 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Winslow, Hezonja, Johnson, Turner, RHJ, Upshaw, Portis, Grant
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 12:34:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Im not sure if this is the right place to post this, but why was Cliff Alexander the #2 prospect out of high school last year?

Ive been looking at him as a potential AB/Sully, who we would be able to steal late in the first due to a bad college season, but with those guys the upside was obvious. AB was an athlete, who could shoot, and play defense with the best of them, Sully was a great rebounded and was really really skilled/ gifted offensively and on the board. However, I dont see the upside that got this guy ranked so high.

I know it must be there, but could someone find it for me?

The photo is vs 6-8 Paul White

I don't think people realize that he's a lot more athetic than he's given credit for. He's also a very powerful player, something that other high school players couldn't match. He's an amazing rebounder and has great second and third jumps.

Even though he didn't have the (1/2) season people thought he would, he still posted the following per40 numbers:

PPG 16.2
RPG 12.0
BPG 3.0
FG% 56 .6
FT% 67.1

Age 19

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 12:41:22 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
With trades my current draft day masterpiece is as follows;

Stanley Johnson @11. Traded up using Sully, Turner and 16. Pacers to take Payne at 16. Sully, Turner and Payne for SJ should be very reasonable.

Bobby Portis @18 via the trades of AB and 33 for 14. Which then was traded to Rockets for 18, 32 and D-Mo. Rockets take Grant 14.

Upshaw @ 25 for pick 28 and 45. C's leap Lakers and Grizzly get the guy they want in Martin at 28.

Jaiteh @ 35. Via trade of 32 for 35 and 37. I shed a tear as Vezenkov becomes Philly's stash player. But 35 and 37 will work for us.

Richaun Holmes @ 37. Via Philly trade above.

*Of course I'd throw a max offer to Middleton or Butler to play SG. Fall back would be a 2nd tier SG there are plenty to choose from (Green, Henderson, Thornton, Mathews, Affalo, Ellis) I would favor Danny Green out of second tier.

Roster after all the moves
Smart/IT/Pressey
Butler*/Young
Crowder/S.J./Wallace
KO/Portis/Holmes
Zeller/D-Mo/Upshaw/Jaiteh

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2015, 01:12:06 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

Stanley Johnson @11. Traded up using Sully, Turner and 16. Pacers to take Payne at 16. Sully, Turner and Payne for SJ should be very reasonable.

Bobby Portis @18 via the trades of AB and 33 for 14. Which then was traded to Rockets for 18, 32 and D-Mo. Rockets take Grant 14.

Upshaw @ 25 for pick 28 and 45. C's leap Lakers and Grizzly get the guy they want in Martin at 28.

Jaiteh @ 35. Via trade of 32 for 35 and 37. I shed a tear as Vezenkov becomes Philly's stash player. But 35 and 37 will work for us.

*Of course I'd throw a max offer to Middleton or Butler to play SG. Fall back would be a 2nd tier SG there are plenty to choose from (Green, Henderson, Thornton, Mathews, Affalo, Ellis) I would favor Danny Green out of second tier.

Smart/IT/Pressey
Butler*/Young
Crowder/S.J./Wallace
KO/Portis/Holmes
There is almost a zero percent chance that a team could make that many trades in a single draft.  Furthermore most of the trades are unrealistically in the Celtics favor.  Houston wouldn't trade D-Mo and the #32 just to move up from #18 to #14.  The Grizz would not move down three spots just to pick up the #45 pick.  The Sixers would not trade the #35 and #37 just to move up to the #32. 

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Smart/IT/Pressey
Butler*/Young
Crowder/S.J./Wallace
KO/Portis/Holmes
There is almost a zero percent chance that a team could make that many trades in a single draft.  Furthermore most of the trades are unrealistically in the Celtics favor.  Houston wouldn't trade D-Mo and the #32 just to move up from #18 to #14.  The Grizz would not move down three spots just to pick up the #45 pick.  The Sixers would not trade the #35 and #37 just to move up to the #32.
Well I disagree. My reasons are there are a few teams that are looking at Grant and D-Mo isn't in Rockets' future. We know Houston will do what it takes to get their guys. Grizz don't lose a thing moving down a few spots they still get their guy that they wanted at 25-28 range nothing bad about it of course unless you think they want a trade out. Philly one is of course all about Philly getting the best stash prospect. For Philly that is a huge plus.

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
1. (If we can trade up) Stanley Johnson or WCS. SJ is similar to Crowder but Crowder didn't get Ron Artest comparisons. While WCS won't likely be a DMC or Anthony Davis he could be a lesser Tyson Chandler or Noah.

2. (16) Portis, Dekker. Filling a need.

3. (28) McCullough, Mickey, Wood, Upshaw.

4. (33+45) International player (PF/C) to stash away. At least 4-5 guys at that spot projected late 2nd round.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 02:44:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Smart/IT/Pressey
Butler*/Young
Crowder/S.J./Wallace
KO/Portis/Holmes

While I mostly agree, I would not be remotely surprised if the Grizz moved down 3 spots to pick up #45.  Firstly, they have no 2nd round picks.  Secondly, here are draft-day trades in the past few years where teams moved up a few spots in the 20's.  Teams almost always gave up less than #45 in the same draft.

2014: Miami sends 26, 55, and a 2019 2nd to Charlotte for 24.
2013: There was a lot of movement between 26 and 30, with teams mostly trading around for cash/salary relief.
2012: Cleveland gave up 24, 33, and 34 to Dallas for 17.  That's a much bigger movement than we're talking about from 28 to 25, and it still only cost two seconds.  Philly gave up 45 and a future lottery protect 1st to get 27.
2011: Chicago gave up 28, 43 and cash to Minny for 23.  Nets gave us 27 and a 2013 2nd for 25.  Miami gave 31 and a 2014 2nd to Minny for 28.
2010: Washington gives Minny 30 and 35 for 23 and 56.  Nets give up 27 and 31 for 24.

Almost all of those trades above would be comparable to 28 and 45 for 25.  Again, since Memphis doesn't have a 2nd, this seems like a trade they would readily consider, even in advance of the draft starting.

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 02:44:51 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Smart/IT/Pressey
Butler*/Young
Crowder/S.J./Wallace
KO/Portis/Holmes
Well I disagree. My reasons are there are a few teams that are looking at Grant and D-Mo isn't in Rockets' future. We know Houston will do what it takes to get their guys. Grizz don't lose a thing moving down a few spots they still get their guy that they wanted at 25-28 range nothing bad about it of course unless you think they want a trade out. Philly one is of course all about Philly getting the best stash prospect. For Philly that is a huge plus.
D-Mo played a significant role for the Rockets at over 28mpg.  I don't think they'd trade him for so little and they certainly wouldn't have to throw in the #32 pick.  Besides Grant will most likely be available at 18 assuming the Rockets even want him.  I don't see why the Grizz particularly want Martin.  They need more outside shooting.  Philly already has a much better PF prospect, Saric, stashed.  If they package the #35 and #37, it will get them a late 1st. 

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 03:08:59 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Smart/IT/Pressey
Butler*/Young
Crowder/S.J./Wallace
KO/Portis/Holmes
D-Mo played a significant role for the Rockets at over 28mpg.  I don't think they'd trade him for so little and they certainly wouldn't have to throw in the #32 pick.  Besides Grant will most likely be available at 18 assuming the Rockets even want him.  I don't see why the Grizz particularly want Martin.  They need more outside shooting.  Philly already has a much better PF prospect, Saric, stashed.  If they package the #35 and #37, it will get them a late 1st.
You are not changing my mind on this. D-Mo is heading into last year and Smith and Capella will take most of the PT going foward. I don't even care much about him he is kind of in between Sully and KO as he doesn't play above the rim. He also isnt a very young player with upside either and is likely at his peak already. I believe you are WAY over valuing him, he is a throw in not a deal breaker.
Grant on some sites is going before Payne in the 13-16 range. If they can think that, why can't I?
Grizz want Martin because Z-Bo is getting old and he has some good potential to play in their system.
Vez has already talked about getting faster to play SF. He has some skill and is young. With better training, diet and hard work he can improve his speed and athleticism to play SF.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:15:26 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 04:38:19 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Smart/IT/Pressey
Butler*/Young
Crowder/S.J./Wallace
KO/Portis/Holmes
You are not changing my mind on this. D-Mo is heading into last year and Smith and Capella will take most of the PT going foward. I don't even care much about him he is kind of in between Sully and KO as he doesn't play above the rim. He also isnt a very young player with upside either and is likely at his peak already. I believe you are WAY over valuing him, he is a throw in not a deal breaker.
Grant on some sites is going before Payne in the 13-16 range. If they can think that, why can't I?
Grizz want Martin because Z-Bo is getting old and he has some good potential to play in their system.
Vez has already talked about getting faster to play SF. He has some skill and is young. With better training, diet and hard work he can improve his speed and athleticism to play SF.
I'm not overvaluing D-Mo but him and the #32 pick is worth more than a 4 spot jump.  D-Mo is just 24 years old with 3 seasons in the NBA.  He fits well into Houston's chucking up 3s offense.  Smith isn't under contract so there is no guarantee that he'll remain in Houston.  Capella is a very raw prospect and unlikely to help them much next season.  I doubt Grant goes before 18 but if he does there are a number of other PGs for them to choose from. 

Regardless of our differing opinions on Vez, the 35 and 37 is too much to move up to 32.  Their 35 and 47 picks would do it. 

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 07:01:18 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Mine would be:

Upshaw, JMartin, RJHunter, and THarvey.  Think those would be doable with our current picks, and my favorites, with Upshaw the priority!  Gotta take a chance on Center of the future.  He's got the talent, and everything we need.  Gamble the BS can do his magic as far as his head problems!
The others are offensive players we desperately need!  JMartin has some of the best handles I've seen in a player his size!  His range is a bit limited, but he can get to wherever he wants middle to inside!  RJ and TH are just great shooters from deep--especially TH.  His shots always seem to get nothing but net---a mark, IMO, of a great shooter!  He's not as complete a player as RJ, but with a second round pick he'd be a steal!