Author Topic: Myles Turner  (Read 11223 times)

Re: Myles Turner
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 05:14:28 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
He is a beast for my Celtics in 2K from some dudes draft class I downloaded. Then again PJIII was a beast for my Celtics a couple of years back too.

I hate these predictions, youŽll never know what these players will become.

YouŽll never know.

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 05:16:24 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
My thing with Turner has always been my concern for what his weird movement means for future injuries.

Also, saying that bigs don't need to be mobile evidences a certain lack of understanding for how the game is played today.  More than ever, bigs need to have lateral mobility in order to adequately defend the pick and roll as well as contest perimeter shots while still recovering to defend shots inside.

That, by the way, is Kelly Olynyk's biggest issue on defense.  Lack of lateral mobility.

I don't think his issue is lateral mobility, he just runs funny in a straight line. He's just raw and unpolished. He needs work on his defensive fundamentals... but he's 19, nod an old Olynyk.
I heard (maybe on this blog) that he attributes the funny run to the fact that he wore shoes like 3 sizes to small in high school and it messed with his run. So it should be pretty fixable.
My perception of why he runs like that is because he has extremely tight joints and ligaments due to his growth spurts.

He is working to correct the problem, here is an article by Draft Express on him going to a running doctor to have his movements analyzed and supposedly his awkward running can be fixed with simple exercises he does every day.
http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/5/13/8601391/myles-turner-2015-nba-draft-running-style-upside
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Human-Movement-Science-and-the-NBA-Draft-and-Myles-Turner--4961

I expect him to shoot up the draft boards.

Agreed.

Especially if he tests out decent athletically. He could be a top-10 pick unfortunately.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 05:18:22 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
There are other threads where we have talked about Myles Turner. Anyways. IMO he is the BPA in our range. I would be happy trading Avery to the Heat or Pacers to get him (and keeping our 16th).

He also compares well with Aldridge. 6'10'' w/o shoes, 7'4'' wingspan, 9'2'' standing reach. 84%ft shooter.

His shot is raw but he has a great stroke. IMO in time he will tighten up his stance and make his shot "his own".

Remember in the begining of the season when we were playing KO at center and our offense was great? This kid can help us do that AND THEN BE A RIM PROTECTOR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j63pqFDjC6k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHUf-Gyvdbc

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 05:21:32 PM »

• Ray Allen
My thing with Turner has always been my concern for what his weird movement means for future injuries.

Also, saying that bigs don't need to be mobile evidences a certain lack of understanding for how the game is played today.  More than ever, bigs need to have lateral mobility in order to adequately defend the pick and roll as well as contest perimeter shots while still recovering to defend shots inside.

That, by the way, is Kelly Olynyk's biggest issue on defense.  Lack of lateral mobility.

I don't think his issue is lateral mobility, he just runs funny in a straight line. He's just raw and unpolished. He needs work on his defensive fundamentals... but he's 19, nod an old Olynyk.
I heard (maybe on this blog) that he attributes the funny run to the fact that he wore shoes like 3 sizes to small in high school and it messed with his run. So it should be pretty fixable.
My perception of why he runs like that is because he has extremely tight joints and ligaments due to his growth spurts.

He is working to correct the problem, here is an article by Draft Express on him going to a running doctor to have his movements analyzed and supposedly his awkward running can be fixed with simple exercises he does every day.
http://www.burntorangenation.com/2015/5/13/8601391/myles-turner-2015-nba-draft-running-style-upside
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Human-Movement-Science-and-the-NBA-Draft-and-Myles-Turner--4961

Agreed.

Especially if he tests out decent athletically. He could be a top-10 pick unfortunately.
Thats why we trade one of our overachieving players ala Bradley to MIA or another team in order to select him.

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is a beast for my Celtics in 2K from some dudes draft class I downloaded. Then again PJIII was a beast for my Celtics a couple of years back too.

Using a video game to predict success in NBA?   Really?  I bet you don't win many bets.

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 05:28:48 PM »

• Ray Allen

Agreed.

In the draftexpress video I see that he has tightened up his shot( the base of it). I think this guy is going to have success at growing into his body....and his shot is butter.

What are teams going to do at the end of a game when our CENTER is shooting 85% from ft...who are they gonna hack then?

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 05:30:04 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84

Using a video game to predict success in NBA?   Really?  I bet you don't win many bets.

And you thought I was serious? I bet you donŽt know internet.

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 05:35:50 PM »

• Ray Allen
I really want us to trade up a few spots and grab this kid!!!! 

We NEED a center that can stinking block shots.  AND this kid can hit threes and hits his freaking FT's!!!!

http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2015/1/22/7869795/talkin-prospects-myles-turner

Thoughts?

Smitty77
Thanks for posting this. Myles Turner has been far and away my favorite prospect in our area of drafting/trading player/s for pick. TP

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 05:47:40 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
To be fair we can never assess the correct value in ANY of these prospects, that's why they have to play the NBA game first for us to get a sense of what they will develop into. You have to go with the player whose game you like and compliments your team.

And 2k is the leading basketball simulation in the market right now... the Association mode is realistic in it's own right.

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 05:51:03 PM »

• Ray Allen
To be fair we can never assess the correct value in ANY of these prospects, that's why they have to play the NBA game first for us to get a sense of what they will develop into. You have to go with the player whose game you like and compliments your team.

And 2k is the leading basketball simulation in the market right now... the Association mode is realistic in it's own right.
.....and Myles Turner tore it up you say? Well I was right we need to draft Turner. Even if we have to say goodbye to Avery.

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 06:49:16 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

If you sim 2k12 through a couple years the TWolves turn into a dynasty half the time with a lineup of
Rubio
Ellington
Beasley
Derrick Williams
Kevin Love

not really relevant to anything but I mean a guy whos nasty in a videogame just means the people making the video game thought he would be nasty.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 07:17:32 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 07:48:20 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I really like Turner.  I think he will improve athletically and his BBIQ will help close the gap so that he can be a very good interior defender.

If the Celtics can move up to get him, WITHOUT selling the farm, then they should go for it.

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 08:13:12 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I do somewhat like the idea of Turner, and Christian Wood, relatedly, but I always have serious concerns about guys that are too thin to take the court in the NBA. You can't teach size and physical strength, and that seems to weed out a lot of very talented guys at the next level.

Both are young, both are intriguing, but both seem to be some of the top boom or bust candidates in the draft. While they do both have upside and therefore (and just in general) I try to take NBA comparisons with a grain of salt, Myles and Wood are compared to Kaman and Henson right now, respectively. Not thrilled with that. Wood looks to be very athletic though, more so than Henson, with a tiny bit of Greek Freak-like athleticism (tiny). And both seem to have frames than can fill out.

At our draft positions, one or both could be worth taking a shot on. The other thread about RHJ sold me a bit on him, as well. Regardless, I'm finding this time of the year and all the draft talk very exciting. Same with FA potentials. Can't wait to see how it all pans out.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2015, 09:26:46 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I would love Turner. I've even seen a couple of mock drafts where he falls all the way to us at 16, so if we don't have to trade up that would be even better.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out