Author Topic: Hayward has definitively outplayed Morris in February - Implications?  (Read 6262 times)

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
So in February pre-ASG, Hayward is averaging:

27.3 mpg, 14.6 ppg 4.6 rpg 4 apg, on 57 / 52 / 90 % splits with .4 bpg .7 spg + 1.6 TO.

Morris is averaging:

30.3 mpg, 13.8 ppg 6 rpg 1.2 apg, on 47 / 33 / 83 % splits with .2 bpg .7 spg + 1.2 TO.

Hayward wins at everything with better efficiency except rebounding & TOs, but it's fine since his A/TO ratio is 2.5 vs only 1 for Morris.  So Mook only wins at rebounding.

If this continues, is it time to consider starting Hayward over Morris?  Or wait until we stumble & Morris' efficiency continues to fade while we lose a few?

Hayward is less selfish and would keep the ball moving better in the starting lineup, but he'd need to be aggressive and not afraid to shoot to improve the starters.  Morris should really still thrive in a 6th-7th man role, though ball movement on the 2nd unit could be dicey as GH-Rozier-JB seems a much better passing unit than Rozier-JB-Mook.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 07:52:41 AM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Re: Hayward has definitively outplayed Morris in February - Implications?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 07:48:44 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would start him, and decrease Rozier's minutes. I like Wanamaker alongside JB a lot more than Rozier. Wanamaker and Smart help him get the early touches he needs.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 07:57:26 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I would start him, and decrease Rozier's minutes. I like Wanamaker alongside JB a lot more than Rozier. Wanamaker and Smart help him get the early touches he needs.
Nah.  I think Hayward in the 2nd unit is working fine.  He is an unselfish player and works really well with Theis.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 07:57:48 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Smart
Hayward
Tatum
Morris
Horford.

Roll with that until Kyrie and Baynes are back.

Then try
Irving
Hayward
Tatum
Horford
Baynes.

I really like the Hayward Tatum wing pairing.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 08:06:32 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Nah.  I think Hayward in the 2nd unit is working fine.  He is an unselfish player and works really well with Theis.
He does, but I want to keep him away from Rozier. Seems to work better alongside other willing passers, which Rozier certainly is not
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 08:57:43 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I don't get the point of comparing Hayward to Morris.  Morris is playing as a big (even though he is more of a swing).  If you simply replace Morris with Hayward, we won't have enough size on the court.

It may be time to start Hayward but if he does, Smart or Tatum will go to the bench.  There is no perfect line up for this team with the roster they have.  Someone has to lose out.  But assuming Kyrie will be back, I would try a starting lineup of Irving-Smart-Hayward-Morris-Horford.  Still not much size as I would like but I like having the veterans in there and the younger players off the bench.

And I know, people think Tatum would sulk or whatever but too bad.  If Hayward keeps playing this well, we need to get him in the starting lineup.  Tatum-Brown-Rozier can form the most feared bench in the NBA and still get the same minutes they have been getting.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 09:14:39 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'd leave the line-ups as is and agree with VG's point that comparing the 2 doesn't make a lot of sense in that Morris is playing as a big.  I know Morris replaced Hayward in the starting line-up but having 3 wings and Al as the only big man starting was getting us killed on the boards. 

If Hayward continues to play like he has (or plays even better after the break, the implications from my viewpoint is that if Danny has to deal Tatum and Smart to get AD, then we should have a really fantastic starting line-up of Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Horford and AD knowing that Hayward's play is on the upswing and we shouldn't lose a beat by losing Tatum.  in fact, since Hayward's ballhandling and passing skills are far superior to Tatum's we should be even better (in theory).

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 09:22:07 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Hayward playing better and better, plus the team potentially not being able to put their 5 best players on at once, makes AD even more attractive. 

If it cost Tatum + RW3 + Yabu + MLE + 4-5 1sts, we'd roll with Kyrie, AD, Al, Smart/Brown, and a healthy Hayward.  That's a nutty lineup/6th man.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 09:25:34 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My vote is to keep the rotation the same except fewer minutes for Morris and Rozier, more minutes for Hayward and Wanamaker.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 09:33:42 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I prefer having Mook start for defensive and rebounding purposes currently. He does better against some of the forwards that can bother Tatum/Hayward.

If Hayward keeps getting better and gets closer to all-star status I'm all for starting him. Though at this point we might just use him as a Manu type sub who plays starter minutes for the rest of this season.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 09:42:44 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
If you're considering the starting lineup, I'm not sure that the comparison is all that relevant - only because Morris is more of a 3/4 where Hayward is a 2/3.  So if anything Smart might be the one to move to the bench - Kyrie at the 1, Hayward at the 2. 

But that aside, the big implication - and we're starting to see it - is more minutes for Hayward.  Last night was the 2nd of a back to back and he played 34. Granted, no Kyrie, but Hayward is getting more minutes - and if he keeps this up - a lot more minutes than he'd been getting.

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 09:51:35 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
He does, but I want to keep him away from Rozier. Seems to work better alongside other willing passers, which Rozier certainly is not

I never considered Rozier to be Hayward insurance, but now keeping Rozier makes more sense

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 09:56:57 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Totally agree with this.  Rozier is driving me nuts with his unwillingness to move the ball - especially in Hayward's direction.  Too many times this season it's looked like Hayward was playing the James Young role being the last option while Rozier is looking for his own offense or holding the ball too long.

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 10:02:09 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Morris is playing for his contract, not the Celtics.

He jacks up shots to try to up his average.

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 10:11:34 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If you're considering the starting lineup, I'm not sure that the comparison is all that relevant - only because Morris is more of a 3/4 where Hayward is a 2/3.  So if anything Smart might be the one to move to the bench - Kyrie at the 1, Hayward at the 2. 

But that aside, the big implication - and we're starting to see it - is more minutes for Hayward.  Last night was the 2nd of a back to back and he played 34. Granted, no Kyrie, but Hayward is getting more minutes - and if he keeps this up - a lot more minutes than he'd been getting.
TP for both of your points Kuberski.  My feelings exactly.