Author Topic: Just curious…  (Read 1728 times)

Just curious…
« on: April 07, 2009, 09:12:32 PM »

Offline keepthefaith

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
Is it legal to record a nba game from your tv and put that recording on a website?

and if it isn't..

Is it legal to film a nba game on your tv and put that footage on a website?

Re: Just curious…
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 09:21:31 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
at the end of game that dude says something like...

"all copyrighted material from the nba cant be shown in public without written consent from the nba".....sumthin like that

no u cant..i guess

*bout to crack 40oz*

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:46:49 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
at the end of game that dude says something like...

"all copyrighted material from the nba cant be shown in public without written consent from the nba".....sumthin like that

no u cant..i guess

*bout to crack 40oz*

Welcome back!

And as for what the guy says at the end, he isn't telling us the law (which is too complicated for me anyway).  He's telling us what the League wants us to believe.  He's not telling us about the Fair Use Doctrine and all that.  Just saying don't take that copyrighted material thing as truth.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 09:45:40 AM »

Offline keepthefaith

• The Green Kornet
Thanks for the fast answers BASS_THUMPER and Thruthelookingglass. Anyone else have any more insight?

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
It sounds like a "no".  It sure looks like they're pretty lenient about using stuff on YouTube, but I had some self shot video taken down from the Opening Night Banner raising.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 10:21:05 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If you're talking about an entire NBA game, the answer is pretty clearly no, without permission.  There are arguments you can make, in terms of you're not looking to make money off the game, but if you just take a 100% copy, that's in all likelihood going to be copyright infringement.

Highlights are a different matter, and taking clips and making them into a mix are different still.  There, you can get into arguments related to fair use and the transformation of the original work into something new.  I'm not an intellectual property / copyright attorney, so I don't know all the nuances, but I think a mix meant for public distribution, that brings no monetary gain to the creator, would be much more likely to be deemed legal.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 12:03:09 PM »

Offline keepthefaith

• The Green Kornet
Thanks all. Ive had a couple cool ideas in regards to breaking down a few aspects of the game and putting together a series of clips . Who knows if I will ever get around to making them.. Thanks again