Author Topic: Jackie Mac on Lowe Post, Talking Celtics  (Read 6085 times)

Re: Jackie Mac on Lowe Post, Talking Celtics
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2018, 08:07:02 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Jaylen had Smart, Rozier and Morris all angry with him against N.O. and deservedly so.   Everyone seemingly buying into their roles and making the right play consistently except for Brown.  He is forcing things and playing selfishly and that don't sit well especially with Smart.  Jaylen needs to put his supposed intelligence to work on the basketball floor, as of right now he is displaying far and away the lowest BBIQ on the team.

That was one play that he screwed up.  I want him playing aggressively and attacking the rim.  He has been doing that since he returned which is reflected in his stats.  He's shooting 57% from the field and been getting to the line.  The problem with the team had been guys weren't selfish enough.  No one was going to the rim.  They were just passing the ball around and settling for jumpers.
It was not 1 play.  He caused the 24 second violation on the 2nd to last possession of the 1st half followed by blowing up the last possession by being out of position.  He made a bunch of dumb basketball plays prior to those 2 including his many blind drives and not knowing time and situation at the end of the 1st qtr..
And yet he made the right decisions and played great in the 2nd half.
He did nothing in the 3rd qtr. except brick a couple mid range jumpers and commit his 3rd, 4th and 5th fouls before being pulled near the end of the qtr..  Yes he hit a few shots and played solidly in the 4th when the game was pretty much on lock, prior to that he was awful.  Not trying to hate on Brown here, just telling it like it is. 

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2018, 09:09:42 PM »

Offline celtics4ever33

• NGT
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Jaylen had Smart, Rozier and Morris all angry with him against N.O. and deservedly so.   Everyone seemingly buying into their roles and making the right play consistently except for Brown.  He is forcing things and playing selfishly and that don't sit well especially with Smart.  Jaylen needs to put his supposed intelligence to work on the basketball floor, as of right now he is displaying far and away the lowest BBIQ on the team.

That was one play that he screwed up.  I want him playing aggressively and attacking the rim.  He has been doing that since he returned which is reflected in his stats.  He's shooting 57% from the field and been getting to the line.  The problem with the team had been guys weren't selfish enough.  No one was going to the rim.  They were just passing the ball around and settling for jumpers.

Brown will be taking his talents somewhere else anyway. He will get paid and be starter on another team. He doesn't have to take stuff from anybody come contract time.
If Brown isn't traded, he will be resign by the Celtics. Danny and Brad love the kid and his potential.

How much do you think he will sign for? I think he is already gone, paying Irving, paying Horford, already paid 50 mil for Smart. Hayward who will want to get minutes and start,,,, who is out ? Brown won't have that, he is going to get paid and will get a promise to be a main guy. No way he will resign here.
Are you forgetting he will be a restricted free agent? Any big money contract would be matched. Read the posted article. Brown loves Boston and being on a championship caliber team and will just push himself to play better and get his starting job back. He is going nowhere, especially since ownership has already stated they have no problem paying luxury tax for a championship caliber team.

They won't match. Secondly, all the stuff you said means nothing, you don't know him, I don't care what he says, it all changes because it comes down to business. He can say all the good things now. When it comes down to pay day, or what the team wants, they all will decide and unless somebody is getting traded, Jaylen won't be here unless he is promises a bigger role and a lot of money to come his way.
So I am to ignore what Brown says and about what his coach and GM and the owners of the team actually say and just believe your baseless speculation?

Yeah, I will bow out of this conversation.

Smart decision on bowing out.

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2018, 10:49:35 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
That's kinda the trouble with these kids overachieving last season.  They went further than they had any reasonable right to go.  Bucks were coached terribly and we got by them.  Philly was more talented, but they celebrated their Round 1 victory like it was the culmination of the process and came into the series against us emotionally drained and completely unprepared - we kicked them in the teeth.  We gave the Cavs a good fight in the conference Finals until LeBron closed it out.

I think the biggest adjustment was Rozier and Brown.  Those two thinking they were world beaters and now they are being asked to sit down and know their roles.   It's less of an issue with Tatum, because Tatum's role all season was smaller than it should have been - we knew he'd get more touches this year.  It's the other kids that have struggled to adapt to the "new reality". 

You know, when Boston formed the late 00s Big 3 of Pierce, Ray and KG, there had been concern that having too many alphas might cause problems.  The rebuttal to that was that all three of those guys had already spent years as "the man" and got it out of their system.  They were in their 30s now and ready to just sacrifice individual stats for the greater good...  That's a harder sell for a 22 year old like Jaylen Brown who has visions of himself making all-star teams, getting shoe contracts, and being a personality that stretches beyond basketball.   I'm not sure if he's going to be able to just accept being 6th man long-term here.  It could be a problem.
I think this is a pretty good point. Its easier to ask 30 soemthing ear lds to sacrifice for the greater good thanguys in their early twneties. the big three made their money, made their all star teams, where regarded as stars with established reputations. the only thing they didnt have wa sthe championshi. As much as we as fans want to sit here and say that every guy should be willing to sacrifcie for the team there is simply more to i than that. Its a career. You wnat to make as much money as possible, be reocgnized as one of the ebst in your feild and be in a situation that makes you happy. I'm not even sure i would blame jaylen or terry if they decided to go soemwhere else and get a bigger role.

Now I don't know if its gonna be a problem or not. Right now Jayen is saying all the right things. And he  seesm to reocgnize he needs to prove himself. And he may simply get good enough that even on this team he gets more oppurtunities and  it becomes a non issue. If I had to guess I'd say he's on the team a long time, but who knows.

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2018, 10:59:29 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548

It was not 1 play.  He caused the 24 second violation on the 2nd to last possession of the 1st half followed by blowing up the last possession by being out of position.  He made a bunch of dumb basketball plays prior to those 2 including his many blind drives and not knowing time and situation at the end of the 1st qtr..
He did nothing in the 3rd qtr. except brick a couple mid range jumpers and commit his 3rd, 4th and 5th fouls before being pulled near the end of the qtr..  Yes he hit a few shots and played solidly in the 4th when the game was pretty much on lock, prior to that he was awful.  Not trying to hate on Brown here, just telling it like it is.
I see complainst about basketball IQ alot with jaylen and to be honest I don't get it at all. He takes the right kind of shots (mostly 3's and at the rim), he doesnt commit a lot of turnovers, he is usually in the right place on defense, he reocgnizes and acknowledges what he doesnt do well and seems to wnat to be better at it. Not being able to make the right pass deep inthe paint, or reecognize when you need need to get rid of the ball eitehr a step sooner, or hold it a step longer to draw the defense isnt an IQ issue, its an experience and skill issue. As Brown gets more skilled he will have a greater colletion of passes in his toolkit, and as he gets more epxerience he will better know how to use them. He my never be a 6 assist a game kind of guy, but he will get better. Its one of the hardest things to learn. Even relatively good offensive players like Donovan Micthel or Jayson Tatum struggle with the concept, and its probably even harder for Brown given that he doesnt get a alot of ball handling repsosnbilities. As the article Jackie Mac write, its more about the game slowing down (ie experiecne and skill develpemnt allowing you to rpocess the game and make the right decsions) the it is that Jaylen has n idea what he is doing.

I think more than any other opinion i see on this board the Jaylen Brown has a low basketball IQ thing confuses me more than anything else. Its a clear misdiagnosis of the issue.

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2018, 01:04:43 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

I see complainst about basketball IQ alot with jaylen and to be honest I don't get it at all. He takes the right kind of shots (mostly 3's and at the rim), he doesnt commit a lot of turnovers, he is usually in the right place on defense, he reocgnizes and acknowledges what he doesnt do well and seems to wnat to be better at it. Not being able to make the right pass deep inthe paint, or reecognize when you need need to get rid of the ball eitehr a step sooner, or hold it a step longer to draw the defense isnt an IQ issue, its an experience and skill issue. As Brown gets more skilled he will have a greater colletion of passes in his toolkit, and as he gets more epxerience he will better know how to use them. He my never be a 6 assist a game kind of guy, but he will get better. Its one of the hardest things to learn. Even relatively good offensive players like Donovan Micthel or Jayson Tatum struggle with the concept, and its probably even harder for Brown given that he doesnt get a alot of ball handling repsosnbilities. As the article Jackie Mac write, its more about the game slowing down (ie experiecne and skill develpemnt allowing you to rpocess the game and make the right decsions) the it is that Jaylen has n idea what he is doing.

I think more than any other opinion i see on this board the Jaylen Brown has a low basketball IQ thing confuses me more than anything else. Its a clear misdiagnosis of the issue.

I agree. I think his basketball IQ is fine, I think he struggles with overthinking the game and then will swing too far the other way and winds up forcing things. When he's making quick decisions and reacting to the defense, though, you get games like the last couple he's had which were fantastic.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2018, 06:59:28 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

I agree. I think his basketball IQ is fine, I think he struggles with overthinking the game and then will swing too far the other way and winds up forcing things. When he's making quick decisions and reacting to the defense, though, you get games like the last couple he's had which were fantastic.
Once Jaylen gets the visions of him being the next Kobe out of his head he will be fine.  He shows signs all the time of not having a low BBIQ and then reverts back to forcing things and doing dumb stuff.  Hopefully he accepts his role soon because somebody is going to bite his head off if he don't.

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2018, 02:10:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Boy, was he awful last night. Forcing everything and then flinging wild bail-out passes. And then he couldn't even hit the open shots he had.

He needs to react better to what the defense is giving him and look for teammates more. When he sees the defense closing in, he has to make that pass sooner. I don't think he's selfish (he seems to have accepted the "demotion" in stride) but it does feel like he's not as aware of his teammates as he should be.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2018, 02:28:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I’m not worried about last night’s game. He had been ill. Let’s see how he does the next few games.