Author Topic: What was that?  (Read 3604 times)

What was that?
« on: January 18, 2018, 09:30:19 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
80 points??

No Hack-a-Simmons down the stretch?

Larkin and Smart the go-to guys...seriously?

Just a all around bad game by players and coaches. Throw it out

Re: What was that?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 09:31:25 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
A bottom third of the league or so offense without it's head and shoulders best offensive player.  And bad execution as well.

As I keep saying: some of you guys think Tatum is just being held back by Stevens and could go out and run an offense.  You're wrong.  He's a rookie.  Looked like it tonight.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 09:31:53 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Rubbish.  I hope they're happy with themselves. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 09:39:23 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642
A bottom third of the league or so offense without it's head and shoulders best offensive player.  And bad execution as well.

As I keep saying: some of you guys think Tatum is just being held back by Stevens and could go out and run an offense.  You're wrong.  He's a rookie.  Looked like it tonight.

Bolded for emphasis.  He's a hell of a prospect.  He's not ready to carry an offense like a large part of this site thinks. 

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 09:59:14 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Bolded for emphasis.  He's a hell of a prospect.  He's not ready to carry an offense like a large part of this site thinks.

Yeah I really don't say it to be critical on him.  I am very high on him.  In part because he already does things like defend, so later when he can grow off the dribble he already has a two way base to work off of.

He is thriving as a guy who works off Kyrie getting doubled mostly or working over bench players at times, but he is not a consistent guy who can create offense yet.  Wouldn't be surprised if as soon as next season he was, but I just tire of the criticisms from some like Stevens is just not letting him do it.

It think tonight we saw how much these guys are thriving off Kyrie doubles.  Even if Kyrie doesn't have big assist numbers on the year, he moves the ball and gives it up when he is doubled and that allows others to score, with him getting often a hockey assist.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 10:57:04 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
That was like a cold shower.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 12:34:11 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
i had a bad feeling about this game , especially after reading Irving has a sore shoulder , would explain his bad shooting . 

it turned out every bit as bad as i thought it would.

im unpleasantly NOT supprized .

told the old lady before the game , not watching .....expect an unwatchable defeat tonght.

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 04:09:12 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
This game was the truth!
Just as we were dependant on IT last year to produce the majority of the offense, we demand from Kyrie to do the same this year.
Sure Big Al is nice complementary big, better than most.
Tatum looks talented.
JB improved his shooting.
But they demand the orchestrator and the backups can't bring it.

Smart is not the one, he just isn't an enough of a threat to score, to keep the defense honest. He scares no one, neither with shooting nor driving the ball (no explosion, poor touch on floaters).
Rozier has the explosion, but less vision than Smart. He is a good backup PG, but not a dynamo.

However, there is no reason to be down about all of this.
Once and whenever he returns, Gordon Hayward will help us a lot. Whether as a weakside threat, as a go-to scorer when Kyrie in on the bench, or simply to put other (role players) guys like JB and Tatum in their more natural, preferred offensive hierarchy.

Our record is already well above expectations. We are just facing some truth about this rosters (some players) limitations.

P.S. I don't agree that CBS was poor this game. What can you do when your starting PG is out and others turn it over 15 times in the 1st half.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 05:57:04 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Its obvious that this team is not as good as their record.  If it wasn't for Kyrie pulling it out of his butt in the last 5 minutes of most of the games we'd be a less than .500 team.  I guess I expect too much from them.  I want to see a real team playing well, consistently, passing, running....  Kind of like the Spurs.  Last night's game was a travesty and they should be ashamed of themselves.  Let's see, barely beat the 76ers after a week's rest, get beat at home by the Pelicans, now get your ass handed to you by the 76ers. 

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 06:27:55 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I will throw it out because of no Kyrie - you can't take a top-10 league offensive talent off the floor and not expect an issue (similar to @ Chicago game ).

Still - big concerns that I have is that this team is not good at shooting, plays lackluster at home, and these things will turn into blow-out losses in the playoffs.

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 06:51:43 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Bad effort all around. Terrible passes capped off by bringing Nader in and he runs over to pass ball in from out of bounds and he makes horrible pass to Philly resulting in a layup. I would have called time out and pulled Nader immediately. This group without Kyrie try to come back with 4 minutes left and if Al hits the 3 they would have had a chance but they didn't deserve it. Lazy, bad passes and no effort = they deserved to lose. Make Embid a star and let him tweet how great he is. Next we may face them in the playoffs and they feel they can beat us now.

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 07:01:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nader in and he runs over to pass ball in from out of bounds and he makes horrible pass to Philly resulting in a layup. I would have called time out and pulled Nader immediately.

I agree with you but CBS needs body.   I hope we cut Nader or trade him for a used peanut wrapper.   Guy gives zero effort on D.  That being said, he is not the reason we lost.

We were a team without our star, last night.   Philly wanted it more.   I think Tatum is in a little rookie slump.  Still we almost came back but could buy a shot down the stretch.   If we had played that way the whole game instead of being cute with Philly playing like we can come back, we could have won.

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 07:56:13 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
everybody is banged up right now.

I will say this though, the problems on offense have been there all year. yes the loss of kyrie was huge and we probably win that game last night if he played.

but the problem is this team really doesn't play "fast" on offense. and what I mean by that is we're too determined to get the ball to the PG after a defensive rebound so he can walk up the court and get in a half-court set.

we have Jaylen brown, if we get a defensive rebound and he's at mid court or further give him the ball so he can use that athleticism and he might have to only worry about getting around 1 or 2 guys.

obviously we don't want to turn the ball over and don't want to be throwing the ball all over the place but we're wasting 4-6 secs. on the shot clock on these plays we're we insist on getting the ball to the PG.

this would also help the 2nd unit if we didn't play this way.

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 08:14:29 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Just show u what a great player Irving is..when he's out Celtics have a 5% chance of winning
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 08:25:57 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Smart, Rozier and Larkin combined for 4 assists in 77 minutes.