Author Topic: What was that?  (Read 3607 times)

Re: What was that?
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 03:46:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ainge put 5 rookies on this team (not counting the 2 way players), only 1 of which should be getting minutes.  He didn't fill a roster spot and then with Hayward going down that created another open roster spot which he still hasn't filled.  So the team has essentially 9 players that should be getting NBA minutes (and I'm using should loosely when it includes players like Larkin), without Irving that is down to 8.  Ainge created this situation by putting together a cheap young bench that has no business playing real NBA minutes.  I'm guessing Ainge didn't believe the team was a real contender, which would explain this roster construction, but once the team started winning, and winning a lot, Ainge should have at least filled the 2 open spots with actual NBA players.
Said this all summer.

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 03:51:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Another thing, when Irving is on the bench or out of the game, the ball just does not move. It sticks at the top of the key in Larkin's, Smart's and Rozier's hands. All three basically try to play a 2 man PnR game and you get three players standing around waiting for a kickout for a three, most of which are hurried or contested.

Give Philly credit, they played great defense and without the good ball movement last night, they dominated the Cs defensively.

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 09:46:36 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
everybody is banged up right now.

I will say this though, the problems on offense have been there all year. yes the loss of kyrie was huge and we probably win that game last night if he played.

but the problem is this team really doesn't play "fast" on offense. and what I mean by that is we're too determined to get the ball to the PG after a defensive rebound so he can walk up the court and get in a half-court set.

we have Jaylen brown, if we get a defensive rebound and he's at mid court or further give him the ball so he can use that athleticism and he might have to only worry about getting around 1 or 2 guys.

obviously we don't want to turn the ball over and don't want to be throwing the ball all over the place but we're wasting 4-6 secs. on the shot clock on these plays we're we insist on getting the ball to the PG.

this would also help the 2nd unit if we didn't play this way.
I'm convinced this is why they lost the NOP game, they easily could have "outrun" them.  However, Philly can play up-tempo and it really helps them with Simmons being a non-shooter and JJ being out entirely.

this is more of a stevens' coaching issue imo. the offense had to play like this before this season because he didn't have the roster to play any other way.

but he's got players that are way more talented now, so I don't know what the reason is? unless he's just trying to limit turnovers, being that this is a very young squad.

which imo is the worst decision he could come up with. i'd rather these guys learn early on from their mistakes, instead of when it matters in the playoffs.

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 05:45:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

I will say this though, the problems on offense have been there all year. yes the loss of kyrie was huge and we probably win that game last night if he played.

but the problem is this team really doesn't play "fast" on offense. and what I mean by that is we're too determined to get the ball to the PG after a defensive rebound so he can walk up the court and get in a half-court set.

we have Jaylen brown, if we get a defensive rebound and he's at mid court or further give him the ball so he can use that athleticism and he might have to only worry about getting around 1 or 2 guys.

obviously we don't want to turn the ball over and don't want to be throwing the ball all over the place but we're wasting 4-6 secs. on the shot clock on these plays we're we insist on getting the ball to the PG.

I'm convinced this is why they lost the NOP game, they easily could have "outrun" them.  However, Philly can play up-tempo and it really helps them with Simmons being a non-shooter and JJ being out entirely.

this is more of a stevens' coaching issue imo. the offense had to play like this before this season because he didn't have the roster to play any other way.

but he's got players that are way more talented now, so I don't know what the reason is? unless he's just trying to limit turnovers, being that this is a very young squad.

which imo is the worst decision he could come up with. i'd rather these guys learn early on from their mistakes, instead of when it matters in the playoffs.
Without Irving, there are 8 NBA level players on the team.  The rest are the end of bench rotation type players at best.  No coaching in the world is going to overcome that game after game.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 06:15:09 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

Without Irving, there are 8 NBA level players on the team.  The rest are the end of bench rotation type players at best.  No coaching in the world is going to overcome that game after game.

I wasn't talking about this last game in my previous post. the offense has struggled at times even with Kyrie healthy. and this has been a consistent thing during stevens tenure before kyrie.... which I stated was understandable with the players he's had in the past.

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 08:51:28 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
We have been playing all but about 5  mins of the season without our second best player when the best player is also missing you get a game like this. You cannot lose your best two players in a game and not miss a bit.

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2018, 08:56:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

I wasn't talking about this last game in my previous post. the offense has struggled at times even with Kyrie healthy. and this has been a consistent thing during stevens tenure before kyrie.... which I stated was understandable with the players he's had in the past.
9 nba quality players and 1 of those is historically one of the worst offensive players in basketball history.  Again this isn't a coaching problem
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip