Author Topic: What was that?  (Read 3606 times)

Re: What was that?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 08:36:09 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
everybody is banged up right now.

I will say this though, the problems on offense have been there all year. yes the loss of kyrie was huge and we probably win that game last night if he played.

but the problem is this team really doesn't play "fast" on offense. and what I mean by that is we're too determined to get the ball to the PG after a defensive rebound so he can walk up the court and get in a half-court set.

we have Jaylen brown, if we get a defensive rebound and he's at mid court or further give him the ball so he can use that athleticism and he might have to only worry about getting around 1 or 2 guys.

obviously we don't want to turn the ball over and don't want to be throwing the ball all over the place but we're wasting 4-6 secs. on the shot clock on these plays we're we insist on getting the ball to the PG.

this would also help the 2nd unit if we didn't play this way.
I'm convinced this is why they lost the NOP game, they easily could have "outrun" them.  However, Philly can play up-tempo and it really helps them with Simmons being a non-shooter and JJ being out entirely.

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 08:47:04 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Celtics very poor on pace which leads to taking tough contested ugly jumpers and instead of moving the ball you have players who just try to score, instead of the assist. As td450 said, 4 assists combined with Smart, Rozier and Larkin? Gross.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 08:57:27 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Ainge put 5 rookies on this team (not counting the 2 way players), only 1 of which should be getting minutes.  He didn't fill a roster spot and then with Hayward going down that created another open roster spot which he still hasn't filled.  So the team has essentially 9 players that should be getting NBA minutes (and I'm using should loosely when it includes players like Larkin), without Irving that is down to 8.  Ainge created this situation by putting together a cheap young bench that has no business playing real NBA minutes.  I'm guessing Ainge didn't believe the team was a real contender, which would explain this roster construction, but once the team started winning, and winning a lot, Ainge should have at least filled the 2 open spots with actual NBA players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 09:13:05 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Ainge put 5 rookies on this team (not counting the 2 way players), only 1 of which should be getting minutes.  He didn't fill a roster spot and then with Hayward going down that created another open roster spot which he still hasn't filled.  So the team has essentially 9 players that should be getting NBA minutes (and I'm using should loosely when it includes players like Larkin), without Irving that is down to 8.  Ainge created this situation by putting together a cheap young bench that has no business playing real NBA minutes.  I'm guessing Ainge didn't believe the team was a real contender, which would explain this roster construction, but once the team started winning, and winning a lot, Ainge should have at least filled the 2 open spots with actual NBA players.

But those players have to be available to do so. Other problem is the C's have assets that teams want but the C's aren't going to want to give up the LA/Mem pick, or Brown or Tatum just for an established player, that might be slightly better now but not in a couple years.

I'm sure he's been dipping his toes int he water to see what the temp is on some players, and it's probably a bit too hot right now. Nothing really gets done till around All Star break as we all no it. He'll use that  8 mill around that time when teams start to realize were they are at, and if they need to cut contracts.

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 09:32:59 AM »

Offline shake603

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 13
He didn't fill a roster spot and then with Hayward going down that created another open roster spot which he still hasn't filled. 
Ainge should have at least filled the 2 open spots with actual NBA players.

This is incorrect. The Disabled Player Exception is a cap/salary exception. Exceptions do not create additional roster spaces. We still only have 1 spot to fill as Hayward still counts to the 15 man roster (not including Two-Way Players).

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 10:29:05 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Smart, Rozier and Larkin combined for 4 assists in 77 minutes.

Bad.  However, I think you should be talking just Rozier and Smart (especially IMO Rozier).  Larkin I thought actually was in control and really turned the game around, sparking the last run.

I know some will scoff but with that kind of play I would put Larkin ahead of Rozer for my rotation.  Without Kyrie for sure but even with him.  I just know what I am getting and in part that's an actual back up PG.  I do appreciate Rozier's athleticism and defense but we need to have some guys who can pass and shoot and are consistent and in control off the bench.  Maybe I wouldn't do that every night but last night, yes I would play Larkin over him.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 10:42:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
He didn't fill a roster spot and then with Hayward going down that created another open roster spot which he still hasn't filled. 
Ainge should have at least filled the 2 open spots with actual NBA players.

This is incorrect. The Disabled Player Exception is a cap/salary exception. Exceptions do not create additional roster spaces. We still only have 1 spot to fill as Hayward still counts to the 15 man roster (not including Two-Way Players).
Ah thanks. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 10:42:49 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Not to make excuses...but the havoc the trip to England has made is rearing its ugly head.

First, the league office jams half a dozen games together almost back to back to make room for the trip overseas, then the team doesn't play another game after it for almost a week.

How about next year they choose Cleveland to go on this strictly egregious promotional trip.

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 11:00:03 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Not to make excuses...but the havoc the trip to England has made is rearing its ugly head.

First, the league office jams half a dozen games together almost back to back to make room for the trip overseas, then the team doesn't play another game after it for almost a week.

How about next year they choose Cleveland to go on this strictly egregious promotional trip.

I agree it's easy to blame that trip as a major part of our recent struggles, that being said that same trip will be paying dividends during the second half of the season. We have more rest scheduled than any other team.

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 12:32:30 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

I agree it's easy to blame that trip as a major part of our recent struggles, that being said that same trip will be paying dividends during the second half of the season. We have more rest scheduled than any other team.
In the post-game press conference, Stevens scoffed at a question about the impact of the trip, saying "Philly was with us in London".

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 01:01:07 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
There is NO EXCUSE for their play recently. 

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 02:10:47 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
For some reason the offense has got sloppy, too much one on one, bad shots, settling for jumpers.

THe big question to answer as we come out of the AS break. Who will be the 2nd scorer behind Kyrie?

I don't think Horford is that guy.
Brown isn't ready to be a consistent scorer because of his handle.
Tatum may hit a wall at some point and isn't ready.

Teams will make us find that person. It may be collectively but we need the right people taking shots. I miss the days when guys who make sure the ball was always in the hands of the scorers as the shot clock ticks down and let that player decide. Now, anyone is taking shots on crucial possessions. I kind of hate 3pt basketball...it encourages bad shooters to shoot.

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 03:11:26 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Two defeats to teams with tall talented centers.
I would like to see more of Baynes in these situations.

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 03:12:55 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
For some reason the offense has got sloppy, too much one on one, bad shots, settling for jumpers.

THe big question to answer as we come out of the AS break. Who will be the 2nd scorer behind Kyrie?

I don't think Horford is that guy.
Brown isn't ready to be a consistent scorer because of his handle.
Tatum may hit a wall at some point and isn't ready.

Teams will make us find that person. It may be collectively but we need the right people taking shots. I miss the days when guys who make sure the ball was always in the hands of the scorers as the shot clock ticks down and let that player decide. Now, anyone is taking shots on crucial possessions. I kind of hate 3pt basketball...it encourages bad shooters to shoot.
I agree on Tatum but ideally, Tatum is the 2nd scorer behind Kyrie,  Horford is 3rd with either a jumper or low post move, and Brown is the guy who can score off broken plays and on the break.

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 03:22:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Game like last night without Kyrie is when we sorely miss Gordon the most.