Author Topic: Jaylen doesn't look like a star  (Read 6600 times)

Re: Jaylen doesn't look like a star
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2018, 02:05:12 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Just look at Aaron Gordon, for example, or Bradley Beal.  Plenty of guys take a few more before making a leap.  The good news is that Jaylen is already a valuable player, and he never adds too much more to his game, he could still be a player like Wes Matthews or Otto Porter, which is pretty valuable.

I like Beal for an example because he has always been talented so you can see what he added, a lot of it being off the dribble.  This year he is so much better off the dribble and it has opened up his game.

Porter has solidly gotten better every year as well.  I appreciate watching guys like that, who you can see evolve over the years. 

Jaylen seems to work hard and so far he is on that kind of path.  When he came in I did think he would be a stud going to the rim (and he can be, although has inconsistently) but his 3 point shooting for example has been a great surprise to see be a strength.  I think it shows him intelligently thinking about his game.  Seems like a smart guy so no surprise.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2018, 02:23:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If Jaylen was an 80% FT shooter instead of a 56% FT shooter he would be averaging 1 more PPG. Gotta fix that free throw shooting.

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2018, 02:27:39 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Boys and girls..... the kid has made steps forward this year... many... let him grow... he will be  a cornerstone player at the age of 24... he is already one of the best defenders in his position... and his ball handling will improve every year

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2018, 02:37:20 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
For the record, I will go ahead and define "star".  If we set an over-under of 2 all-star appearances, I am going to take the under.  Like I said, I'm not trying to kill the guy because I think he can be a good player on a good team.  Maybe a third best player on a good team. 

I just don't see a multiple all-star due to some glaring weaknesses related to his handle (which is still basic and loose) and his feel for the game.

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2018, 03:52:01 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think too early to say on way or another. He's made a giant leap this year compared to last year so that is a step in the right direction. The key is whether he can continue to make incremental leaps over the next couple of years. If so, I dont see why he cant be an all star type player.

He definitely has some holes/issues to figure out as mentioned by some in the thread already. Just have to hope the Cs develop him properly. He has a good head on his shoulder and good work ethic. I guess at worst, he could be a 3 and D guy.

« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2018, 09:15:55 AM »

Offline OGDanny

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
In Jaylen's second season he is currently averaging a similar stat-line to Jae Crowder at his best, while also playing a comparable level of defense (In my opinion). While Crowder was never a star he was a valuable 3-D player and Brown is that now. He is a decent starter now and with how strong his work ethic is, I really doubt he will fail to improve throughout his career. He only needs to improve a couple more skills and he is an all-star and I'm expecting it to happen many times.

Tatum is the new toy so everyone forgot about Brown, but I am more interested in and think Brown's ceiling is higher than Tatum's.

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2018, 07:20:44 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
If Jaylen was an 80% FT shooter instead of a 56% FT shooter he would be averaging 1 more PPG. Gotta fix that free throw shooting.

^^This. I am pleased with Jaylen's progress this year except the free throws. It just drives me absolutely insane when he consistently clunks the first free throw. They are easy to practice and he is a very smart kid so why doesn't he improve in this area?

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2018, 08:18:59 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Jaylen is a couple of skills away from being a star: ball handling and FTs. The free throws seem fixable. I hope he tightens up his handle next year.

- LilRip

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2018, 08:51:58 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Jaylen is a couple of skills away from being a star: ball handling and FTs. The free throws seem fixable. I hope he tightens up his handle next year.

pretty much. His handles are already better this year than last year, but still lacking. He fixes that, then alot of those lost balls and missed layup bunnies are points.

Free throws are certainly fixable.

Kind of rediculous for people to put a cap on a player at 21 in their 2nd year after they jumped from 6ppg to 14ppg in the offseason. He wont be in his Prime for another 4-5 years

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2018, 08:58:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I hope he tightens up his handle next year.

it a lot better than when he was rookie.

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2018, 10:03:00 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Why stop? Jaylen has been better than Jimmy Butler at basketball almost every year through 21 years.

Butler was a late bloomer, but why can't Jaylen become as good of a basketball player. I think they have similar attributes.

I really don’t get the comparisons to Butler other than similar build, well Brown still has a little ways to go to be rock solid like Butler, and that Brown has defensive potential like Butler.

On offense though Butler has a much more refined game with his dribbling, mid range, and post game playing mostly below the rim using power.

Brown on the other hand plays more above the rim while already seems like a better 3 point shooter.  Much more raw, but if he gets a step on his man might be more explosive.

Just to add what I was saying before I’m going to bring it back some for Jaylen Brown’s absolute max comp for myself if everything goes 100% right, Clyde Drexler.  A strong, fast, athletic above the rim 2 guard who could also shoot threes.  If Brown even comes close to Drexler wow. Only 21 he has the talent and work ethic to make big strides in his game the next few years.  It will be interesting to see how good he gets.  Even if he levels off to say prime Gerald Wallace player that’s still very good.