Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413178 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1185 on: August 22, 2017, 03:23:55 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I wanted to see if anyone besides me actually believed that they were on the island for more than one night? The travel time is one reason. But the biggest second reason for me thinking that it was longer than one night was that some of them were sleeping. There is no way in hell I fall a sleep the first night being surrounded. Now the second night do to exhaustion and the fact the enemy didn't cross the first night I might take that chance to sleep.

When I watched the episode I had assumed they were on the island for at least 3 or 4 days before the fighting began.  While it was a stretch that Daenerys got there in time, it is plausible  https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/6u75t3/lets_do_the_math_on_how_long_it_would_take_a/

The only thing that annoys me about the whole timing is that the Directors could have easily added a line in to address it, such as "We've been stuck here 4-days, and ran out of food this morning.  What are our options at this point?"

Zombie stew? ;)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #1186 on: August 22, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
@green_bballers13
Compared to the previous seasons. The last episodes were one cliché after the other. Totally different from the other seasons where you got plenty of completely unexpected turns of events. Ned died, the red wedding  Now you know that someone will save the day. 

As I ve said I still enjoy watching it but the story suffers without Martin

« Reply #1187 on: August 22, 2017, 03:46:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Has Benjen been stalking them?  Pretty unlikely he just shows up then.  Unless Gendry sent a raven to him as well.

Can Bran summons him? I think the prior Three Eyed Raven did, right? Or am I making that up?
you're not making it up

and it the ONLY way it makes ANY sense

He could be keeping tabs on the Night King - if that was the case the whole army moving back toward that lake (remember they were there earlier in Bran's vision) would've gotten his attention, and even if they hadn't the massive dragon attack would.  It makes some sense - he can't cross the Wall so what else is there for him to do up there?

« Reply #1188 on: August 22, 2017, 04:19:18 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
@green_bballers13
Compared to the previous seasons. The last episodes were one cliché after the other. Totally different from the other seasons where you got plenty of completely unexpected turns of events. Ned died, the red wedding  Now you know that someone will save the day. 

I disagree. I don't think the story is suffering. Nor do I think its a big enough deal that you will stop watching it. I do, however, think you are using hyperbole to criticize a widely popular show.

I had no idea that there would be a wight dragon before this episode. I also didn't know that Dany would fly her dragon over the wall.

Granted, I haven't read the books and I do not speak Dorthraki. If you are devoting a lot of your time to this show, I could see how these are cliches. For the other 95% of people that don't have time to devote to a weekly hour long fantasy tv show, I think this season has been solid and entertaining.

« Reply #1189 on: August 22, 2017, 04:32:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I disagree. I don't think the story is suffering. Nor do I think its a big enough deal that you will stop watching it. I do, however, think you are using hyperbole to criticize a widely popular show

The only way that one would conclude this happening is you have not read the books which you admit, too.    I get that they are on a budget to finish the show before salaries come up again because costs would be astronomical.   

Do you think the show is as good as it once was?   I sure as heck don't.   It is still entertaining and fun to watch.   But the show feels rushed and the dialogue is not as strong as it used to be in the past.   When one bases a show on something, they inherently like the artist's work and believe it has potential.   It is bound to suffer a lot without said artist.

Martin's books are not perfect, either.  They dwell on storylines that are boring and not integral to the overall plot.  The show has helped in that regard.

The all-time dumbest stuff the show has ever done was the Sons of the Harpy aka rich guys with masks and daggers making short work out of the supposedly elite Unsullied.

« Reply #1190 on: August 22, 2017, 04:39:56 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Yeah, I have always liked the show, but by no means have I become obsessive. I sometimes check the GOT wiki page for explanations, but that's about it....

I can see how the show has been rushed. I also realize that it is show business and art/business do not always gel perfectly.

Comparing your expectations to reality can be frustrating. I think if you take the show at face value, your enjoyment factor might rise, and you'll be able to let other things frustrate you rather than a TV show.

« Reply #1191 on: August 22, 2017, 04:53:57 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
I disagree. I don't think the story is suffering. Nor do I think its a big enough deal that you will stop watching it. I do, however, think you are using hyperbole to criticize a widely popular show

The only way that one would conclude this happening is you have not read the books which you admit, too.    I get that they are on a budget to finish the show before salaries come up again because costs would be astronomical.   

Do you think the show is as good as it once was?   I sure as heck don't.   It is still entertaining and fun to watch.   But the show feels rushed and the dialogue is not as strong as it used to be in the past.   When one bases a show on something, they inherently like the artist's work and believe it has potential.   It is bound to suffer a lot without said artist.

Martin's books are not perfect, either.  They dwell on storylines that are boring and not integral to the overall plot.  The show has helped in that regard.

The all-time dumbest stuff the show has ever done was the Sons of the Harpy aka rich guys with masks and daggers making short work out of the supposedly elite Unsullied.

I think it's a little different. It seems like there's less character development and more action than in previous seasons. But this makes sense to me.... we already know about the Lannister/Stark/Targaryen back stories. I'd rather watch dragons burn stuff at this point then focus on the esoterica of some zany author's creation.

Maybe the unhappiness that I'm reading on this blog has to do with the story coming to an end. To this point, I agree.

« Reply #1192 on: August 22, 2017, 05:08:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I mean, questioning the believability of travel distances in a show about dragons and zombies and white walkers seems  a little silly - but part of what has made it a fun show is that, under the circumstances, it seems pretty believable.
I don't think so. All works of fiction have their established internal set of rules. In GoT, zombies and dragons are real. Warped time travel wasn't, at least not until they decided to go off the book. They could have established alternate rules for time and space early on, but they didn't.  Doing it now hurts the credibility of the show.

You are always so disagreeable. That's exactly what I said!
I thought you were saying that fast travel was pretty believable under the circumstances. Reading is hard.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1193 on: August 22, 2017, 05:11:42 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Maybe the unhappiness that I'm reading on this blog has to do with the story coming to an end. To this point, I agree.

Hey I'm enjoying it, it's just getting goofy and rushed. Those aren't things that make me dislike TV shows that are already kinda silly to begin with; they can add to my enjoyment to be honest. And I'm glad they're wrapping it up because no clear endpoint absolutely kills shows like this as the plot gets more and more contrived so every last dollar can be wrung out of the brand.

It could be turning into the Walking Dead, meandering around endlessly and taking itself WAY too seriously as it gets dumber and dumber because the money train keeps rolling. Instead, it still has a lot of fun character interactions and enjoyable action sequences, and we know the end is coming fast.

It just seems like those big "moments" are all they really focused on, this season in particular, and instead of having thousands of pre-written pages to draw from to connect those dots, they're just kinda winging it til they get the characters in place for the next big scene. But I still love the show and I'll be there til the end.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:20:58 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #1194 on: August 23, 2017, 02:40:44 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
@green_bballers13

I disagree. I don't think the story is suffering. Nor do I think its a big enough deal that you will stop watching it. I do, however, think you are using hyperbole to criticize a widely popular show.

I had no idea that there would be a wight dragon before this episode. I also didn't know that Dany would fly her dragon over the wall.

Granted, I haven't read the books and I do not speak Dorthraki. If you are devoting a lot of your time to this show, I could see how these are cliches. For the other 95% of people that don't have time to devote to a weekly hour long fantasy tv show, I think this season has been solid and entertaining.

The Deux ex machina moments are not cliches? Could you also show where I used hyperboles?

Btw I don't speak dothraki, I don't remember anything from the books and other than watching the episode reading this thread is the only time I spend  for Got.

« Reply #1195 on: August 27, 2017, 10:31:11 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Season Finale Spoilers below:

Theyyyy'rreee Heeerrrreee! (Called that ending, btw!)

To me the most interesting part was the Littlefinger backstory. So not only was Robert's Rebellion built upon a lie, which many of us figured, but it was Littlefinger and Lysa Arryn that started the Stark/Lannister conflict, too.

I also love the conflict that was set up between Jon and Daenerys now, too. With Jon being the rightful heir (to both the Iron Throne AND the North) and well-liked, there's going to be some drama there. Granted, I don't think both Jon and Daenerys both end up surviving.

We also finally get to root for Jaime, too!

« Reply #1196 on: August 27, 2017, 10:47:43 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

To me the most interesting part was the Littlefinger backstory. So not only was Robert's Rebellion built upon a lie, which many of us figured, but it was Littlefinger and Lysa Arryn that started the Stark/Lannister conflict, too.

I also love the conflict that was set up between Jon and Daenerys now, too. With Jon being the rightful heir (to both the Iron Throne AND the North) and well-liked, there's going to be some drama there. Granted, I don't think both Jon and Daenerys both end up surviving.

If anyone dies, I think it's Dany. She's too flawed to be the hero of the story and Jon's (or Aegon) is too good to not be that hero.

But for what I thought was a generally middling season, I think this was a great finale. I initially thought Arya had already killed Little Finger and was masquerading as him to Sansa 1 on 1, but I liked that plot twist even better. It sucks that we now have to wait so long for the conclusion. But it is a very unique situation where we have so much back knowledge from Martin's books and lore and so many fan theories without actually having the end solidified in terms of a novel.

« Reply #1197 on: August 27, 2017, 10:55:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

If anyone dies, I think it's Dany. She's too flawed to be the hero of the story and Jon's (or Aegon) is too good to not be that hero.

But for what I thought was a generally middling season, I think this was a great finale. I initially thought Arya had already killed Little Finger and was masquerading as him to Sansa 1 on 1, but I liked that plot twist even better. It sucks that we now have to wait so long for the conclusion. But it is a very unique situation where we have so much back knowledge from Martin's books and lore and so many fan theories without actually having the end solidified in terms of a novel.

TP. Agree with all of that.

What's interesting though is that for the most part all of the fan theories have now been covered, so unless the script gets leaked again, pretty much everyone should be going into the final season blind.

« Reply #1198 on: August 27, 2017, 10:58:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

TP. Agree with all of that.

What's interesting though is that for the most part all of the fan theories have now been covered, so unless the script gets leaked again, pretty much everyone should be going into the final season blind.
I will not be at all surprised if the HBO folks finished the show by just harvesting as many fan theories as they found interesting. What a thoroughly uninspired season.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1199 on: August 27, 2017, 11:24:51 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Buh bye Littlefinger

buh bye
Yup