Author Topic: What was up with the rotation last night  (Read 1739 times)

What was up with the rotation last night
« on: January 28, 2021, 08:02:26 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Okay, I'm not trying to start another dump on Brad post, but what was that mess last night?

12 guys in the first half? Than he plays Grant Williams a bunch in the second half, after he's not on the court at all in the first half? How in the world can any player get in any kind of rhythm playing 5 minutes? Nesmith and Edwards off the bench, a few minutes, they're out, never to return. Than Green and Semi, I think. Than Teague, who I admit, I'm not loving.

As witnessed, they went from a 9 point lead to a 14 point deficit  while Brad was shuttling players in and out. Even Perk mentioned it during half time. No player can get in rhythm like that.

Please, figure out some kind of rotation and stick with it for a while. Give it a shot, and if it's not working, change it up between games, not during them.

I realize that they did not play great, but in this case, I put most of the blame on Stevens.

Re: What was up with the rotation last night
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 08:13:18 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Strangely enough I think Brad does this on purpose to see how guys react early season. There are many early season games where all of us are scratching our heads.

I personally think he's trying to figure out who are the 8 guys I can trust and play well together come playoffs. He never strikes me as a win all games but rather gather as much info type of coach.
ok fine

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 08:52:27 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
I think he's doing exactly what lots of posters complain he doesn't do..developing players in game, giving experience and reps to players.
The team has a need at back up wing, specifically a shooter. I think he's creating competion and hoping someone will emerge from that group of Nesmith/Edwards/Green. Add semi to that list to I guess.

For what it's worth, those guys came in played hard, created turnovers and made a bunch of mistakes. But they didnt lose the lead, the starters came in and stunk up the last 5-6mins of the half. The starters created the 15pt deficit.

As for G Will, Brad did it the game before and in the bubble. Didnt play him in the first half but brings him in the 2nd and in fact he often plays him some crunch time minutes. Grant was in for the third qtr turnaround and was part of the shuffling of centers in the final minutes.

Pretty sure Brad does this beginning of every year. Rotation tinkering, getting players reps to see what he has. He will somewhat slowly tighten the rotations up, hopefully get some bench players experience and find someone that can be a regular. By the Allstar break he will be riding his core more heavily.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 09:14:25 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Didn't bother me.

It was the vets who screwed up last night, at the end of the first half, and the end of the game.

They know it too.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 09:24:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Didn't bother me.

It was the vets who screwed up last night, at the end of the first half, and the end of the game.

They know it too.

Agreed.  The only thing that bothered me was when Brad sat both Jays at the beginning of the 4th.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 09:47:43 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
The idea that they went 12 deep in the first half didn't bother me.  No one on our current bench is that much better or that much worse than anyone else so to me, it doesn't matter if you play Nesmith or Green or both (for example).

What I did find interesting is that this is the first game where Tatum and Walker and all the other core players were available.  I was curious to see how much we went 1 big vs 2 big and how the lineups fared.  My definition for this is whether there is one or two of Thompson, Theis, RWilliams, GWilliams, Ojeleye on the court.

For this game, they played 22.4 minutes with 1 big (overall +18) and 25.5 minutes with 2 bigs (overall -22).  Thompson was the 1 big for 13.4 minutes (+2) and Theis was the 1-big for 9 minutes (+0).  For this game, the 1 big unit did much better if judged purely on +/-.  This is only one game against 1 roster but still interesting.  The biggest wild card in this is Kemba Walker, he was -16 all by himself.  Smart was -11.  RWilliams, GWilliams, and Ojeleye played only in 2 big line ups but this seems to be more about how well Walker and Smart played with the various units rather than how the bigs themselves played.

San Antonio played mostly with a 1-big line up also.  They paired Aldridge with Keldon Johnson (who is 6'-5") for 28.3 minutes (+9) but also used Poeltl and Gay a lot (kind of 1.5 bigs if you will).  The other big combinations (non-Aldridge/Johnson line ups) totaled 19.3 minutes for -5.  So our line ups (and their success) may have been a response to their roster/lineups.  SAS is even more depleted of bigs than we are.

Recognizing this is a small sample size, what these numbers are looking at if for example you take out say Theis and Walker and put in Williams and Ojeleye.  Position aside, the two bigs you are adding are much less talented than the 1 big and 1 other that you are taking out.  So I guess on this team, it is not surprising that we end up with less talent on the floor.  Also, Thompson did better than Theis as the 1 big, at least in terms of +/-.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 09:57:24 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 10:15:07 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I think he's doing exactly what lots of posters complain he doesn't do..developing players in game, giving experience and reps to players.
The team has a need at back up wing, specifically a shooter. I think he's creating competion and hoping someone will emerge from that group of Nesmith/Edwards/Green. Add semi to that list to I guess.

For what it's worth, those guys came in played hard, created turnovers and made a bunch of mistakes. But they didnt lose the lead, the starters came in and stunk up the last 5-6mins of the half. The starters created the 15pt deficit.

As for G Will, Brad did it the game before and in the bubble. Didnt play him in the first half but brings him in the 2nd and in fact he often plays him some crunch time minutes. Grant was in for the third qtr turnaround and was part of the shuffling of centers in the final minutes.

Pretty sure Brad does this beginning of every year. Rotation tinkering, getting players reps to see what he has. He will somewhat slowly tighten the rotations up, hopefully get some bench players experience and find someone that can be a regular. By the Allstar break he will be riding his core more heavily.

Yup. And you can find almost identical threads to this one from the start of every season since 2013-14. It's like clockwork.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 10:36:50 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No surprise as others have said BS (when there isn't injuries forcing a short rotation) will tinker for data. Usually he does it till a week after all star break. I hate it with a passion but it's a analytics thing.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 12:01:55 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I’m still convinced Edward’s is a bust lol

We have 8 surefire rotation players as far as I’m concerned:
Kemba/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Theis/Thompson/Timelord/Pritchard

The guys vying for the last 1-2 slots of the rotation are:
Teague/Green/Nesmith/Ojeleye/GWill

Usually, I think Ojeleye leads the pack there with the last spot being more situational (like injury or matchup)

I get CBS is tinkering but almost 20 games in, I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the ending rotation
- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 12:35:28 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
The starting lineup should be Tatum, Brown, Walker, Theis, and R. Williams. Marcus Smart and Tristan Thompson should not be starters. The starting lineup above consists of the teams best players in my opinion.

If you want to bring Smart, Pritchard, Nesmith, Ojeleye, and Thompson off the bench i think that might work (even though i would prefer we traded Marcus Smart). Jeff Teague, Grant Williams, Javonte Green, and Carsen Edwards should only be given emergency/injury minutes.

We have 3 centers on this roster so there should never be any point in the game where there is no center on the floor. Too often i'm seeing Grant Williams out there at center which is insane.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2021, 08:38:43 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Feels like Stevens does this every year early one. He loves long rotations but every season is different so he really gives everyone a chance to claim a rotation spot, sometimes to a detriment.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2021, 08:12:19 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
There really is not much homecourt advantage without fans.
There is no Red Claws season.The playing of Aron Nesmith is critical to his development.Playing with 2nd unit with an odd mix of vets and youth in garbage time can be counterproductive .I prefer Nesmith being mixed in with the starters at times learning to play the right way.
Development with no G League is like a wasted year for most.
With Smart and Pritchard down it gives time for further tinkering.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2021, 09:12:06 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
For me, Timelord has to be there 25 min a game, and TT is the odd man out with 10 mins a game.

Hope marcus gets back soon and pritchard as well so that we finally get our true rotation in rythym
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger