Author Topic: *** The Bash Rondo Thread ***  (Read 18557 times)

*** The Bash Rondo Thread ***
« on: January 24, 2013, 12:51:09 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
 Rondo is not having a good year all-around. At least for his standards. I don't know what is wrong with him, but there is something definitely wrong with him.

His defensive rating is 103. Which is still GOOD, and above average, but well below is 99 mark last year. He also doesn't get as many steals as he did 2 years ago.

His shooting percentages are up from last year, but still down compared to 2009 and 2010.

His usage rate this year is a career high. His assist percentage and assists per 48 are down from last season.

His turnovers are a career high. His free throws attempts are a career low.

I don't know what is going on with Rondo, and he is still playing like a GOOD basketball player. Yet, somehow, he has regressed from his productivity in the past couple of years, when he SHOULD be getting better.

EDIT: Why is there an advertisement in the word 'career'? And how do u get rid of it?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:23:14 PM by OttawaCeltic »
Jameer an elite PG?Please, ask that to his garbage highlights.

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

Re: *** The Bash Rondo Thread ***
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 12:58:25 PM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
OMG finally a place on Celticsblog where I can bash Rondo.  ;)

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 01:03:11 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
He still can't hit free throws even when he DOES get to the line. 64%? The heck?

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 01:06:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

EDIT: Why is there an advertisement in the word 'career'? And how do u get rid of it?

That is a bug in your browser amigo.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 01:07:55 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
He still can't hit free throws even when he DOES get to the line. 64%? The heck?

Apparently its because he has big hands. Thats why him, KD, Dirk and CWebb couldn't make those freebies... [dang]

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 01:09:40 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday

You know what it is! Dont take me in a wrong way, I even bought my lil bro Rondo merchandise, but for a guy getting paid over 9mill a year and never getting blamed for this season. C'mon, even Bradley is hinting this guy isn't reliable. ::)

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 01:18:48 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
soooo.... he's a bad free throw shooter, but you want him to get to the line more. More like a few years ago when was getting whacked with impunity and hurt constantly. You'll take all those ankle sprains because what you really want to see is a few more bricked free throws.

and... you mad because he's not improving his game... after years of this board screaming for him to develop a jump shot. Now that he's hitting 48% from mid range.

and... his defensive and assist numbers are going down. You don't think it makes sense for that to be happening now that Allen is gone and Garnett and Pierce are falling apart.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 01:43:49 PM »

Offline henr1k

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58
Rondo is a VERY good basketball player, but unfortunately for us, Celtics fans, he is not THAT good. He is not on a Paul/Rose level where he can be the number 1 guy and carry a team on his shoulders. The sooner everyone here except that - the better.

He is what he is, a pass-first, 'shoot if I really have to', point guard who is perfect for a team with multiple offensive treats (like a 2008 BOS team) - when he can run the show, gets everyone involved and still can be somewhat dangerous on offense when attacking the basket with his speed and athleticism.

I love Rondo, he is my favorite player to watch, but I don't think you can build around a guy like Rondo, at least not with these personal on the roster.

KG and Pierce are 35 and 36 years old and its ludicrous to expect them to carry the load at this stage of their careers. Rondo was supposed to be a leader of this team and take larger burden offensively but he hasn't done anything to prove that he can do that. He is still passive most of the times, avoiding to attack the basket prolly because he doesn't won't to shoot FT. Leaders should lead by example on and off the court, they don't bump or throw balls at officials.

So, if this team is still around .500 before all-star break what is Danny's best move looking forward?

Do we hope they can still turn it around, stay put and maybe add a buyout guy like Dalembert to help with rebounding/protecting the basket?

If this team struggles now without any major injury, what can we expect next season when Doc will have to work with what he has now (no cap space) and KG and PP will be a year older.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 01:50:20 PM »

Offline OttawaCeltic

• Jrue Holiday
soooo.... he's a bad free throw shooter, but you want him to get to the line more. More like a few years ago when was getting whacked with impunity and hurt constantly. You'll take all those ankle sprains because what you really want to see is a few more bricked free throws.

and... you mad because he's not improving his game... after years of this board screaming for him to develop a jump shot. Now that he's hitting 48% from mid range.

and... his defensive and assist numbers are going down. You don't think it makes sense for that to be happening now that Allen is gone and Garnett and Pierce are falling apart.

so...... we never talked about driving in more, we were talking about hitting them more, so that premise doesn't make sense.

and..... we never said we didnt admire his improvement in his J. We congrat him and tell him to improve on other major aspects in the game.

and.... his indivual defense stats don't include the other guys on the team. For his assists, he doesn't only use the two aging men, its called 'leading a team' not 'leading the big 3.' there are multiple assets on this team to use. Maybe Doc has a bit of blame in this problem, but who knows?

PAUL PIERCE, NO!

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 02:11:34 PM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
He needs to facilitate for guys like Jeff Green, Jared Sullenger, Courtney Lee, Avery Bradley and Jason Terry. They need to score baskets. He needs to stay in front of his man on defense just like the aforementioned players.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 02:17:16 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
He gets those guys open look ALL the time, they're just missing.  Those guys are the ones who need to get their act togethere.  It has nothing to do with Rondo

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 02:33:03 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Rondo is not having a good year all-around. At least for his standards. I don't know what is wrong with him, but there is something definitely wrong with him.

His defensive rating is 103. Which is still GOOD, and above average, but well below is 99 mark last year. He also doesn't get as many steals as he did 2 years ago.

His shooting percentages are up from last year, but still down compared to 2009 and 2010.

His usage rate this year is a career high. His assist percentage and assists per 48 are down from last season.

His turnovers are a career high. His free throws attempts are a career low.

I don't know what is going on with Rondo, and he is still playing like a GOOD basketball player. Yet, somehow, he has regressed from his productivity in the past couple of years, when he SHOULD be getting better.

You need to look at why the numbers might be different (even down). For instance, how is defensive rating calculated? Is it based on opposing pg production, and if so wouldn't the fact that he frequently guards opposing SGs affect this? His shooting percentage is down, but that's not because he's shooting worse, it's because he takes more jumpers than he used to and even good shooters make fewer jump shots than layups.

As for his assists and turnovers, the numbers are only slightly off from last year (earlier this year they were  slightly up from last year) so that's merely fluctuations that all players see in their stats. Any time Rondo has a stat that drops from 1 year to the next people love to call that regression, I guess that's based on the (ridiculous) assumption that most stats for other players either stay the same or go up every season.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

You know what it is! Dont take me in a wrong way, I even bought my lil bro Rondo merchandise, but for a guy getting paid over 9mill a year and never getting blamed for this season. C'mon, even Bradley is hinting this guy isn't reliable. ::)

Never blamed? Every other thread is about Rondo. That's not even an exaggeration... I was over on the Kings' SB Nation page recently (offering condolences about the team getting sold) and even they were commenting on how Rondo's being scapegoated.
And Rondo makes $9m? So what. That's a bargain. Look at what other PGs make around the league - Rose, Westbrook, CP3, Dwill, those guys make between $16m and $19m. Heck, Paul Pierce makes $16.7m.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 02:46:01 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Wow.

I'm really sorry but something feels so wrong about coming to a Celtics fan forum and seeing a thread focused solely on bashing any one of our players.

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 02:54:52 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
Wow.

I'm really sorry but something feels so wrong about coming to a Celtics fan forum and seeing a thread focused solely on bashing any one of our players.
It's very efficient though, right?

Honestly I don't care about his FT% -- I love Rondo despite his flaws --  I just wanted to participate.