Author Topic: Celtics Should Draft Poku Man!  (Read 4805 times)

Re: Celtics Should Draft Poku Man!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 11:39:47 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Aleksej Pokusevski (Poku) really interests me.  It seems every other year or so, an intriguing Euro 7 footer is in the draft.  Dirk.  Darko. Zinger. Bender.  Win some, lose some.

Check out his tape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaTyP_DzaiE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUgJwV06pV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnH3gHnOeO0

Measurements: 7' Height, 7'3" Wingspan, 200 lbs weight.

Pluses:  Great handle, floor vision, passer, weak side defender, decent hip mobility so switchable on defense.

Minuses: Weak league (Div 2 Greece, same as Greek Freak), shooting percentages pedestrian, very light (should weigh 20-30 lbs more).

This guy has the highest upside of anyone in this draft, IMO.

I see his role as point forward, similar to Ben Simmons, but with much better upside in terms of shooting.

Given that we have 3 first round picks, this guy just makes so much sense. Could stash him for a year if necessary, due to roster availability.

Would like to know your thoughts.

Hands down the toughest player in this draft to project.

my big questions,

- how much weight can he add to his Brandon Ingram like frame?
 - even if he adds 35lbs who does he defend in a playoff series vs the current Bucks? Healthy 76ers, Raptors? Giannis, Simmons, Siakam will be to strong/quick for him and Embiid, Gasol, Lopez will run him over.
 - how does he handle being defended by an NBA wing? Does the athleticism and length of the typical 6'7 NBA wing neutralize Poku's unique guard like skill set?

My bottom line,

At the Memphis pick 14-17 I want a little more certainty. While not a strong draft the end of the lottery could yield a nice guard prospect or P Williams who while also a project has a clearer path to the NBA given his physical skills. After that pick I have no issue with the Cs taking a shot on Poku with the understanding that he is likely a bust.

My one question for the Poku lovers,

If Jaden McDaniels was playing in the greek 2nd division and Poku was playing for Washington how that effect their rankings?

Granted McDaniels is a year older but both will likely have to play the swing/4 in the NBA and will need to gain weight. The last measurements for Mcdaniels from 2018 had him at 185lbs but Washington listed him at 200. This puts his measurements in line with Tatum's. 

McDaniels lacks the feel for the game Poku evidences.  Poku has vision of a point guard.  McDaniels not so. Very different players.

Both are low floor high ceiling guys, but that is where the comparison ends.

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 11:54:46 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Aleksej Pokusevski (Poku) really interests me.  It seems every other year or so, an intriguing Euro 7 footer is in the draft.  Dirk.  Darko. Zinger. Bender.  Win some, lose some.

Check out his tape:

Pluses:  Great handle, floor vision, passer, weak side defender, decent hip mobility so switchable on defense.

Minuses: Weak league (Div 2 Greece, same as Greek Freak), shooting percentages pedestrian, very light (should weigh 20-30 lbs more).

I see his role as point forward, similar to Ben Simmons, but with much better upside in terms of shooting.

Given that we have 3 first round picks, this guy just makes so much sense. Could stash him for a year if necessary, due to roster availability.

my big questions,

- even if he adds 35lbs who does he defend in a playoff series vs the current Bucks? Healthy 76ers, Raptors? Giannis, Simmons, Siakam will be to strong/quick for him and Embiid, Gasol, Lopez will run him over.
 - how does he handle being defended by an NBA wing? Does the athleticism and length of the typical 6'7 NBA wing neutralize Poku's unique guard like skill set?

My bottom line,

At the Memphis pick 14-17 I want a little more certainty. While not a strong draft the end of the lottery could yield a nice guard prospect or P Williams who while also a project has a clearer path to the NBA given his physical skills. After that pick I have no issue with the Cs taking a shot on Poku with the understanding that he is likely a bust.

If Jaden McDaniels was playing in the greek 2nd division and Poku was playing for Washington how that effect their rankings?

Granted McDaniels is a year older but both will likely have to play the swing/4 in the NBA and will need to gain weight. The last measurements for Mcdaniels from 2018 had him at 185lbs but Washington listed him at 200. This puts his measurements in line with Tatum's. 

McDaniels lacks the feel for the game Poku evidences.  Poku has vision of a point guard.  McDaniels not so. Very different players.

McDaniels is a scorer and can get his own shot just like Tatum.  It is a difficult skill to come by in this league

Also he is a very solid shooter

All the facilitating Poku can provide doesn't overcome these two qualities McDaniels brings to the table imo

Celtics also have enough facilitators and a sure scorer like McDaniels off the bench would be a welcomed addition

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 01:06:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Check out his tape:

my big questions,

My bottom line,

McDaniels is a scorer and can get his own shot just like Tatum.  It is a difficult skill to come by in this league

All the facilitating Poku can provide doesn't overcome these two qualities McDaniels brings to the table imo

Celtics also have enough facilitators and a sure scorer like McDaniels off the bench would be a welcomed addition

Yeah, I see McDaniels a total bust. I have very low confidence he will be an NBA player of note.

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Something tells me Poku will be better than Kelly O, based on his facilitating being next level compared to Kelly (who is not a bad passer).

But he'd have to project as an above average shooter from outside for me to want him on the Celtics.  Tough call on his longterm outside shooting potential, but that's the make or break risk factor that should top the list of evaluations.

I'd lean toward Achiuwa if available..(assuming P. Williams gone). 

Overall, a Poku pick and possible stash would not alarm me.

Lately I'm wanting Reed at 26 or 30 if no P. Williams.  After watching his highlights I found myself calling him "The Disrupter".

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2020, 01:36:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Calling it now:  Poor Man’s Dario Saric.

;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 02:05:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Check out his tape:

my big questions,

My bottom line,

Yeah, I see McDaniels a total bust. I have very low confidence he will be an NBA player of note.

you serious??  6'10 player with his reach/skills .. I would say worse case, a solid producer off the bench

see below...

McDaniel highlight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq3MO1So_0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZcrwHQFWOA
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 03:54:39 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 02:57:21 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Check out his tape:

my big questions,

My bottom line,

I agree that they are not the same style of player. Other then playing the same position and providing help side shot blocking they are very different.

My question is how much hype McDaniels would have as a Euro playing in a weak division and how much Poku would be picked apart playing in the PAC-12.

Ultimately I think both players are likely to bust and not make it to a second NBA contract. McDaniels I feel more comfortable projecting into the NBA.  As long as he is willing to fit into a more limited offensive role. The league is desperate for 6'8+ long wings who can shoot from the perimeter and punish close outs off the dribble.

Poku has a lot of talent but his game is much harder to project into the NBA.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet