Author Topic: Big “shot clock” change for 18-19 season: after OffensReb, only 14 seconds left  (Read 7020 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24454530/nba-expected-pass-rule-changes-including-changing-shot-clock-14-seconds-offensive-rebound
I don’t think the new clear path or  hostile act changes are as big as the shot clock change

The NBA's board of governors are expected to pass rule changes for the 2018-19 season that include resetting the shot clock after an offensive rebound to 14 seconds from 24, simplifying the clear-path foul rule and expanding the definition of the "hostile act" to more easily trigger instant replay, league sources told ESPN.

The NBA believes that the resetting of the shot clock to 14 seconds after offensive rebounds will increase shot attempts, especially at the end of close games. The NBA studied FIBA's implementation of the rule in 2014, as well as its use in G League, WNBA and NBA summer league games.

Under the changes to the clear-path rule, a clear path to the basket would be in play in these three instances:

• "A personal foul is committed on any offensive player during his team's transition scoring opportunity."

• "When the foul occurs, the ball is ahead of the tip of the circle in the backcourt, no defensive player is ahead of the offensive player with the scoring opportunity and that offensive player is in control of the ball or a pass to him has been released."

• "The defensive foul deprives the offensive team of a transition scoring opportunity."

In the instance of a clear-path foul, the team is given two free throw attempts and possession on the sideline closest to where the foul happened.

The NBA says that rule would eliminate the need that a play start in the backcourt. Referees would no longer "need to make a judgment call on whether a defender was 'between' the offensive player and the basket, or, if a defender is ahead of the player being fouled but not 'between' the offensive player and the basket, whether such defender had the opportunity to position himself between the ball and the basket."

The expanded definition of the "hostile act" to trigger instant replay would now extend beyond interaction with another player to also include a hostile interaction with a referee, coach or a fan.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I like the idea in general. Should make the game more exciting. (Yes, I know it already is).
Celtics fan for life.

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I like the proposed Clear Path rule and "Hostile Act" replay review. I always thought it was strange that a defender fouling to stop a 2-on-1 or 3-on-1 break was not punishable.

I don't like the proposed shot clock rule. I think it lessens the importance of defensive rebounding at the end of close games (makes the defending team "hurt less" if they give up an offensive rebound at the end of a game and perhaps gives said team a fast break opportunity if the offensive team rushes a shot attempt).

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
We would have won game 7 of the 2010 Finals if this shot clock rule was in place back then.

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I like the proposed Clear Path rule and "Hostile Act" replay review. I always thought it was strange that a defender fouling to stop a 2-on-1 or 3-on-1 break was not punishable.

I don't like the proposed shot clock rule. I think it lessens the importance of defensive rebounding at the end of close games (makes the defending team "hurt less" if they give up an offensive rebound at the end of a game and perhaps gives said team a fast break opportunity if the offensive team rushes a shot attempt).

Valid point on the shot clock change.  I think the league's focus on these rule changes though is to keep the pace of the game up, and increase shot attempts as well as offensive opportunities.    Offense is a bigger seller than defense is, and although most hoop heads appreciate a good defender, the casual fan appreciates pace and scoring, and the casual fan is the main money maker for the NBA.

The change is pretty drastic, but I don't have a major problem with it.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I like the rule changes.

Now they need to widen the court.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like it as well.  It forces a faster paced game, while also rewarding a defense for forcing a missed shot, even if they don't get the rebound.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
What a terrible rule change.  The shot clock is fine, so they screw with it.  The absence of traveling calls is a joke, but that goes unaddressed.

What the hell is wrong with these leagues that they feel the need to fix what's not broken, and to ignore what needs fixing?

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I like the shot clock change. It's what my national league uses, and it hasn't caused any trouble at all.

I also like the crackdown on those annoying fouls that would result in a open lay-up, but I hope it's implemented correctly
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
What a terrible rule change.  The shot clock is fine, so they screw with it.  The absence of traveling calls is a joke, but that goes unaddressed.

What the hell is wrong with these leagues that they feel the need to fix what's not broken, and to ignore what needs fixing?

Travelling probably doesn't really bother as many people as you think

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
We would have won game 7 of the 2010 Finals if this shot clock rule was in place back then.

Maybe, but maybe it wont stop the LAL from grabbing another rebound when they shoot it at 14  ;D

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
what if you get multiple offensive rebounds on the same possession do you then reduce the time on the shot clock. First rebound, shot clock goes to 14 seconds. Second OR and shot clock goes to 10 seconds. Third OR and shot clock goes down to 5 seconds. That will speed up the pace. I think the shot clock change is huge.

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

I doubt that.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I doubt that.
It definitely bothers basketball purists, of which this blog is mostly made up of. However, there are many more casual fans nowadays than there have ever been. These people typically don't care about Harden taking 3 steps on a step back jumper, or LeBron dunking it on someone after taking 3-4 steps, because it looks cool
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I like it!!
The only color that matters is GREEN