Author Topic: Do shoe brands make a difference?  (Read 3223 times)

Re: Do shoe brands make a difference?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 12:32:44 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I wouldn’t get a Walmart or Target shoes for any real sports activities.
But I don’t care if it’s Nike or adidas or any other brand name.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2018, 01:03:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I wear old school Cons on the black top ($19.99) and notice no difference.  My jumper is as inconsistent as ever.

Are you playing wheel chair basketball!?!?

When you say old school Cons I'm picturing these:

I use these because they're a great weight lifting shoe, with the flat, hard soles.  But my gym also has a basketball court which I'll try to hit up when I'm done lifting.  I notice a HUGE uncomfortable difference when I try to play basketball in these.  It's miserable jumping or cutting in those shoes.  So incredibly uncomfortable.  I have to put my regular sneakers back on before I hit the basketball courts at my gym, otherwise it's just miserable.

Same only low cut.

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2018, 03:07:50 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
I have structural problems with my feet and ankles, as well as very wide feet.

Unlike other brands New Balance comes in very wide widths. They give me the excellent support I need to walk and stand pain-free. They also wear better than other brands I have tried, because I tend to round out the outer heels quickly.

Also, their sizing is very consistent from model to model. It is the only shoe I can order in my size without trying them on and be sure they will fit.

Brand may not make a difference for everyone, but they definitely do for me.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2018, 06:38:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Bill Simmons wrote some interesting stuff about the possible alternate history of if Grant Hill had signed with Nike instead of Fila.

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2018, 09:31:17 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
Anyone who says shoes don't matter obviously never owned a pair of these:

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 09:32:36 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Are we forgetting Stephon Marbury played on the NYK in a pair of $15 Starburys? Not to mention being the greatest chinese basketball player in history.
I know because I also dropped my hard earned money to buy and use those as a kid.

Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 09:52:58 AM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Yes they do. If this stuff revs you up you might like this website: https://ballershoesdb.com/
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 10:03:59 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Are we forgetting Stephon Marbury played on the NYK in a pair of $15 Starburys? Not to mention being the greatest chinese basketball player in history.
I know because I also dropped my hard earned money to buy and use those as a kid.

Did you see the rereleased them? Now I kinda want a pair  ::)

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 10:58:46 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2018, 01:27:13 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Celtics' Gordon Hayward is “close” to signing a multi-year deal with Nike, per @ASherrodblakely

https://twitter.com/brkicks/status/1043544289064771584?s=21

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2018, 01:48:44 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
I’ve always messed up my ankles when wearing Nikes, so I don’t wear any Nike shoes anymore.  Now that I’m more apt to match brands I’ve pretty much gotten rid of all Nike in my wardrobe in favor of Adidas because their shoes fit me better

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2018, 01:52:21 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
It certainly does matter, but deciding which shoe is the right one is an individual matter. What works for one guy won't work for another.

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2018, 02:15:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I wouldn't necessarily say the brand makes a difference as much as the model within a given brand. I do a lot of running (and wear out a lot of shoes) and generally don't spend a lot on shoes; but Nike, Adidas, New Balance, and even Reebok all have a lower cost model or two that all feel pretty great and better than many of their more expensive counterparts. I think it just depends on feel for the individual.

Man, these were the worst. I've worn running shoes as bball sneakers for most of my post-high school life (38 y/o now) and I can definitively say that I've never felt such a lack of cushion AND support from a pair of shoes on the court. Luckily Steve and Barry's took them back. I was not a satisfied customer. But, all the props in the world to Stephon for sporting these shoes at the highest level (and succeeding!) - he's a better man than I.