Author Topic: Hayward sign-and-trade completed  (Read 62458 times)

Re: Hayward sign-and-trade completed
« Reply #435 on: November 29, 2020, 09:43:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
So what is our overall turnover this offseason?

Out: Gordon Hayward, Enes Kanter, Brad Wanamaker, and Vincent Poirier

In: Tristan Thompson, Jeff Teague, Aaron Nesmith, Payton Pritchard

Plus a 28.5 million dollar TPE, and the BAE and Kanter's 5 million TPE

How do you guys rate that as a whole?
worse team right now, but have to see if anything comes of the TPE's.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #436 on: November 29, 2020, 09:47:11 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
When they shed kanter and VP I said they needed 2 bigs.  One C and one PF or PF/C.  I think they are still lacking that, but now have several options to get them now or later in the year.  Better overall, but 1 player short of hanging with the lakers, especially with how big they are.

« Reply #437 on: November 29, 2020, 09:48:40 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Offseason plus draft is a C- to me.

This can change if the TPE turns into something.
Also if Kemba is somehow healthy in the playoffs we might get back to the ECF.

« Reply #438 on: November 29, 2020, 09:49:55 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

We've taken a step back. Teague and Tristan are upgrades over Kanter and Brad, but I think we're underestimating the loss of Gordon. Yes, I know he was injured often, but the possibility of Gordon raised this team's ceiling quite a bit. We were a healthy Gordon away from a Finals appearance, so it's obvious that we need a player that can fill that void and we haven't done anything to replace him yet.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #439 on: November 29, 2020, 10:09:19 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

We've taken a step back. Teague and Tristan are upgrades over Kanter and Brad, but I think we're underestimating the loss of Gordon. Yes, I know he was injured often, but the possibility of Gordon raised this team's ceiling quite a bit. We were a healthy Gordon away from a Finals appearance, so it's obvious that we need a player that can fill that void and we haven't done anything to replace him yet.

I think our style of play will change a bit. And I also think our safest bet for a marked improvement is simply allowing JB and Tatum to keep getting better.

« Reply #440 on: November 29, 2020, 10:18:55 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

The greatest improvement to this team was always going to come from within the roster we already have. (The hope is that) Growth by Tatum, Brown, Williams, Williams, and Langford would more than mitigate any loss by Hayward. I still hold out hope that Pritchard or Nesmith can offset some of the loss as well.

The rest of the players are a wash or slightly in favor of the new additions.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 10:30:07 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #441 on: November 29, 2020, 10:47:27 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
to help those among us who love to propose trades, here is a list of nba salaries over the next few years. have fun.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html

I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #442 on: November 30, 2020, 02:36:34 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Will probably expire or used to get a bad contract and a 1st rounder. Don't have faith it will be used on a good player.

I think the reason 75% of these don't get used is because the conditions have to be right - you have to find the right team (trapped in mediocrity or over the salary cap) in the right situation (deciding to rebuild or tank) trying to offload a good player (one that isn't already a trade target for other teams with expiring contracts to trade) to create cap space for themselves. It's not like you can just walk up to Washington and say "hey here's a trade exception can you give us Bradley Beal". Washington has to have decided they want to rebuild, they have to have entertained offers for Beal from other teams and decided that getting a trade exception that comes off the books is the best way forward for them, rather than getting 2 or 3 players in exchange for Beal.

That's why it's much more likely that it will end up being used to get a expiring of our own and maybe a draft pick. Or maybe it gets used in bits and pieces, rather than trying to get a near max player. Obviously our own cap situation will influence the decision as well. But hey, stranger things have happened  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #443 on: November 30, 2020, 02:47:41 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123

This may be true in a sense, but to me there were two key differences in how this team performed:
* When the team played the right way we were blowing teams out and looked like we could beat anybody, even without Hayward. 
* When the team resorted to isolation, silly turnovers and chucking contested threes we looked like we were lucky to make the playoffs. 

I don't believe Hayward was ever going to be the difference maker in either of those two scenarios.  When the team played right they were amazing, with or without Hayward.   

« Reply #444 on: November 30, 2020, 05:33:18 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

This may be true in a sense, but to me there were two key differences in how this team performed:
* When the team played the right way we were blowing teams out and looked like we could beat anybody, even without Hayward. 
* When the team resorted to isolation, silly turnovers and chucking contested threes we looked like we were lucky to make the playoffs. 

I don't believe Hayward was ever going to be the difference maker in either of those two scenarios.  When the team played right they were amazing, with or without Hayward.   

If there was one player on the Celtics who always played the right way and gave the right example it was Gordon Hayward. So that exact reason made him a difference maker. We're going to miss that maybe more than we realize.

Tatum, Walker and Smart can play the right way but they can also become ball stoppers or shot chuckers, when they feel the offense isn't flowing. 

« Reply #445 on: November 30, 2020, 09:00:28 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

If there was one player on the Celtics who always played the right way and gave the right example it was Gordon Hayward. So that exact reason made him a difference maker. We're going to miss that maybe more than we realize.

Tatum, Walker and Smart can play the right way but they can also become ball stoppers or shot chuckers, when they feel the offense isn't flowing.

Exactly how I feel.  TP.

« Reply #446 on: November 30, 2020, 09:19:13 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Unfortunately, the timing of receiving this TPE may have come too late. The Celtics no longer have multiple future first round picks to package with the TPE, so that will definitely limit the quality of player we could get back in return.

« Reply #447 on: November 30, 2020, 09:32:39 AM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
Hayward missed games, but so did Brown and Tatum.  In the past, it seemed only one player was out at a time and the other two picked up the slack.  That will not be the case this year.  Better hope Brown and Tatum stay healthy because the third cog will not be as good of a player as Hayward.  I think the team is still a year or two away.

« Reply #448 on: November 30, 2020, 11:21:57 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Losing Hayward does have some impact.  But what he actually contributed to the team over the last few years was not commensurate with an all-star, max contract player.  This was due to injuries and him adjusting to a role plus other factors but whatever the reason, the fact remains.

I think Charlotte overpaid and will regret this.  I don't think he is a $120M player anymore.  He may prove me wrong, we shall see.  The Celtics are still a good team.  The core remains intact.  I am more worried about Kemba's knee than I am losing Hayward.

« Reply #449 on: December 01, 2020, 07:45:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Did Hayward admit that the Hornets tampered with him?

Gary Washburn @GwashburnGlobe
about 7 hours ago
Hayward on opting out: "I just think that after speaking with family and with my agent and to the #Hornets organization ... it really was really powerful and make me think more about it. I decided to go for it. "#Celtics

That could be sloppy reporting, but it seems like Hayward is suggesting that contact with the Hornets influenced his decision to opt out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes