Author Topic: Hayward sign-and-trade completed  (Read 62457 times)

Re: Hayward sign-and-trade completed
« Reply #420 on: November 29, 2020, 07:40:23 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Apart from current contracts there's also the option of sign and trades to add a player (longterm) to the roster (which creates a TPE again for the other team). Some options next off-season:

Spencer Dinwiddie (Brooklyn), Josh Richardson (Dallas), Richaun Holmes (Sacramento), Victor Oladipo (Indiana), Evan Fournier (Orlando), John Collins (Atlanta), Lauri Markkanen (Chicago), Markelle Fultz (Orlando).

Some teams need the cap space for a big free agent (and have to renounce cap holds on their own free agent or sign-and-trade for a valuable TPE). Others are afraid to overpay for their free agent and would welcome a TPE instead.

Well using the TPE for a S&T would trigger the hard cap for the c's again next season. With Tatum's contract kicking in the c's have 109 million committed to Kemba/Smart/Tatum/Brown out of the 140 million (estimated) hard cap. And they'd still need to fill out the rest of their roster. So its hard to see them using a significant amount of the TPE on a S&T next year without dumping one of their core 4.

Good call, TP. Didn't realize that. It makes a S+T an unlikely option indeed.
So we may need to call Orlando about Gordon/Vucevic, Sacramento about Hield/Barnes or Memphis about Valanciunas?

Why do you have to spoil a great idea  ;D ?
Are you taking on Saltlover's role?

« Reply #421 on: November 29, 2020, 07:41:50 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I'd really love to get a stud player like Beal (not even sure he fits into a TPE) or Hield. Both of those guys would make us incredibly formidable on offence.

But I don't know if it's particularly realistic. I think the more likely move will be going after some vet experience, as our roster is quite young.

Beal doesn't fit into the TPE. To get him we would need to trade Walker (or give up way too many players and value).

Goodbye Kemba and the Knee.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #422 on: November 29, 2020, 07:46:35 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I'd really love to get a stud player like Beal (not even sure he fits into a TPE) or Hield. Both of those guys would make us incredibly formidable on offence.

But I don't know if it's particularly realistic. I think the more likely move will be going after some vet experience, as our roster is quite young.

Beal doesn't fit into the TPE. To get him we would need to trade Walker (or give up way too many players and value).

Just like that? After everything he's done?

« Reply #423 on: November 29, 2020, 08:09:34 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Just like that? After everything he's done?

For Beal..haha in a minute.

« Reply #424 on: November 29, 2020, 08:22:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Keeping him will sink the team ...need  his money on guys who can play ,  be on the court .  Not paying to watch 3 years.

« Reply #425 on: November 29, 2020, 08:37:42 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Keeping him will sink the team ...need  his money on guys who can play ,  be on the court .  Not paying to watch 3 years.

Yup, that was Hayward's job.

« Reply #426 on: November 29, 2020, 08:51:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Player's don't go from All-Star form to constantly out and sucking over arthritis in under a year. It's actually quite manageable and when he plays his game isn't going to suddenly fall a cliff. I fully expect Kemba to play over 60 of the 72 games and be the 19/5/4 player he usually is. He'll simply adjust his game a bit to be that player. Like maybe take more threes and do less of the shake and bake into the paint to create mid range jumpers.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 09:02:28 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #427 on: November 29, 2020, 08:54:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Player's don't go from All-Star form to constantly out and sucking over arthritis in under a year. It's actually quite manageable and when he plays his game isn't going to suddenly fall a cliff. I fully expect Kemba to play over 60 of the 72 games and be his the 19/5/4 player he usually is. He'll simply adjust his game a bit to be that player. Like maybe take more threes and do less of the shake and bake into the paint to create mid range jumpers.
More threes is definitely something I’d like to see out of him, as to me it should go along with an increase in playmaking duties to Tatum & Brown. Tatum especially.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #428 on: November 29, 2020, 08:56:29 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Player's don't go from All-Star form to constantly out and sucking over arthritis in under a year. It's actually quite manageable and when he plays his game isn't going to suddenly fall a cliff. I fully expect Kemba to play over 60 of the 72 games and be his the 19/5/4 player he usually is. He'll simply adjust his game a bit to be that player. Like maybe take more threes and do less of the shake and bake into the paint to create mid range jumpers.

Agreed. It sounds like he's at a stage where it's still manageable and I think the early instinct of some to write him off and ship him out are a bit drastic.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #429 on: November 29, 2020, 09:13:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Player's don't go from All-Star form to constantly out and sucking over arthritis in under a year. It's actually quite manageable and when he plays his game isn't going to suddenly fall a cliff. I fully expect Kemba to play over 60 of the 72 games and be the 19/5/4 player he usually is. He'll simply adjust his game a bit to be that player. Like maybe take more threes and do less of the shake and bake into the paint to create mid range jumpers.

Wish I shared your optimism, Nick.  I'm afraid it is going to get worse.  Hope I'm wrong.  We are just going into year 2 of a 4 year deal. 

« Reply #430 on: November 29, 2020, 09:20:31 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
Apart from current contracts there's also the option of sign and trades to add a player (longterm) to the roster (which creates a TPE again for the other team). Some options next off-season:

Spencer Dinwiddie (Brooklyn), Josh Richardson (Dallas), Richaun Holmes (Sacramento), Victor Oladipo (Indiana), Evan Fournier (Orlando), John Collins (Atlanta), Lauri Markkanen (Chicago), Markelle Fultz (Orlando).

Some teams need the cap space for a big free agent (and have to renounce cap holds on their own free agent or sign-and-trade for a valuable TPE). Others are afraid to overpay for their free agent and would welcome a TPE instead.

Well using the TPE for a S&T would trigger the hard cap for the c's again next season. With Tatum's contract kicking in the c's have 109 million committed to Kemba/Smart/Tatum/Brown out of the 140 million (estimated) hard cap. And they'd still need to fill out the rest of their roster. So its hard to see them using a significant amount of the TPE on a S&T next year without dumping one of their core 4.

I thought they would only be hard capped this year, as I figured the BAE would only be used this year to cover Thompson's contract (as its only availble once every two years) and then next year's salary would come out of Boston's regular salary cap.   Is that not the case?

« Reply #431 on: November 29, 2020, 09:28:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I wonder how Pacers GM feels about all of this lol

This trade with the Hornets is better (control factor) vs Pacers package offer.  Plus the TT and Teague separate money saving signings

Good for Danny

Chris Gasper and Murray etc. have no clue what they are talking about

« Reply #432 on: November 29, 2020, 09:28:33 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Agreed. It sounds like he's at a stage where it's still manageable and I think the early instinct of some to write him off and ship him out are a bit drastic.
Isn’t the rationalization to move him now while his contract is movable vs next year when his contract might be “unmovable”?

« Reply #433 on: November 29, 2020, 09:28:38 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123

Wish I shared your optimism, Nick.  I'm afraid it is going to get worse.  Hope I'm wrong.  We are just going into year 2 of a 4 year deal.

I may be missing something, but I know that:

* Prior to coming to Boston Kemba was historically an extremely durable player, especially given his play style
* Kemba is a tough dude with a warriors mentality, and has seems to have a history of playing through injuries that others may sideline others
* Kemba played injured for some of last season and continued to be very productive, at upwards of 20 pts / 4 reb / 4 ast - impressive considering he was sharing the ball with Tatum (23 PPG), Brown (20 PPG) and Hayward (17 PPG).

I don't see any obvious reason to expect that his game will just crumble over the course of the next year or two.

That said, I haven't been playing super close attention to his health issue.  Is there more to this then I am seeing or is this just a case of standard Celtics fan negativity? 

« Reply #434 on: November 29, 2020, 09:31:31 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
So what is our overall turnover this offseason?

Out: Gordon Hayward, Enes Kanter, Brad Wanamaker, and Vincent Poirier

In: Tristan Thompson, Jeff Teague, Aaron Nesmith, Payton Pritchard

Plus a 28.5 million dollar TPE, and the BAE and Kanter's 5 million TPE

How do you guys rate that as a whole?