Author Topic: Chad Ford: Upshaw's off-the-court issues more serious than initially thought  (Read 49490 times)

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I wouldn't waste a pick on this guy, especially at 16. You can still find a solid role player at 16 (assuming the C's actually don't move up or trade the pick which I find more likely to happen). The guy sounds like a knucklehead and quite frankly isn't worth the trouble imo. He wouldn't be the first talented player to amount to nothing. I'd rather use the late first rounders on possibly a young euro the C's could stash overseas for a year or two than waste it on this guy.

A solid role player compare to a kid with star potential just because of his troubled past. Were not going to win a ring if were not willing to work, and part if that work is keeping him in line.

Why settle for a role player? Is it because "he's not worth the trouble"? That's it? It because he's a clean cut dude? We'll pass on what Chard Ford himself said is a lottery talent just because we can't be troubled into making sure he's going on the right track?

We need talent, and a talented player could skip to us at #16, you don't pass on it, regardless of the red flags. You work with the red flags, not pass and get a dude with no red flags but would amount to salt best, a bench player.
It's way more likely that Upshaw never plays in the NBA than him turning into a rim protecting superstar. I'm also not sold on his as a player also. He's 21 and ridiculously raw. He's only played a handful of games in college and has basically played almost no competitive basketball the past few years as he's been kicked out if 2 schools. I just think he'd be a bad pick in general. If they really want him they can go waste a 2nd rounder. But they can find someone who could help at 16. Just my opinion.

No one is denying the risk that he could be out of the league. It will be up to us to to makesure he can stay.

As for not being sold, let me try and sell you.

Legitimate 7 footer.
He's got ridiculous wingspan and standing reach.
Mobile for grid position.
Averaged 4 blocks/40 in college.

He is raw, and to be fair, his defensive fundamentals are shot. But kirk you said, he's 21. He's young and has the physical tools to be a very good rim protector. The upside is there, which is why you don't pass on him if he's ghee at 16.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I wouldn't waste a pick on this guy, especially at 16. You can still find a solid role player at 16 (assuming the C's actually don't move up or trade the pick which I find more likely to happen). The guy sounds like a knucklehead and quite frankly isn't worth the trouble imo. He wouldn't be the first talented player to amount to nothing. I'd rather use the late first rounders on possibly a young euro the C's could stash overseas for a year or two than waste it on this guy.

A solid role player compare to a kid with star potential just because of his troubled past. Were not going to win a ring if were not willing to work, and part if that work is keeping him in line.

Why settle for a role player? Is it because "he's not worth the trouble"? That's it? It because he's a clean cut dude? We'll pass on what Chard Ford himself said is a lottery talent just because we can't be troubled into making sure he's going on the right track?

We need talent, and a talented player could skip to us at #16, you don't pass on it, regardless of the red flags. You work with the red flags, not pass and get a dude with no red flags but would amount to salt best, a bench player.
It's way more likely that Upshaw never plays in the NBA than him turning into a rim protecting superstar. I'm also not sold on his as a player also. He's 21 and ridiculously raw. He's only played a handful of games in college and has basically played almost no competitive basketball the past few years as he's been kicked out if 2 schools. I just think he'd be a bad pick in general. If they really want him they can go waste a 2nd rounder. But they can find someone who could help at 16. Just my opinion.

No one is denying the risk that he could be out of the league. It will be up to us to to makesure he can stay.

Legitimate 7 footer.

He is raw, and to be fair, his defensive fundamentals are shot. But kirk you said, he's 21. He's young and has the physical tools to be a very good rim protector. The upside is there, which is why you don't pass on him if he's ghee at 16.
I think he can come right in and help this team/play center in the NBA. He averaged 4.5 blocks a game in just 24 minutes, coming off the bench. He has the golden standard: 7' tall, 9'5'' standing reach, 7'5'' wingspan....except his wingspan is longer.Also he has leaned out and is a solid 258. Just to put it into comparison: SHAQ had a 7' tall, 9'5'' standing reach, 7'7'' wingspan. Shaq was dif in ways like 36 max while being 300lbs.

I think Upshaw has it.

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Legitimate 7 footer.

I think he can come right in and help this team/play center in the NBA. He averaged 4.5 blocks a game in just 24 minutes, coming off the bench. He has the golden standard: 7' tall, 9'5'' standing reach, 7'5'' wingspan....except his wingspan is longer.Also he has leaned out and is a solid 258. Just to put it into comparison: SHAQ had a 7' tall, 9'5'' standing reach, 7'7'' wingspan. Shaq was dif in ways like 36 max while being 300lbs.

I think Upshaw has it.

Which is why you take him if he slips at #16. Basketball wise, he has the potential to be special. The red flags are indeed a risk, but this is the #16th pick we are talking. There's not a lot of stars coming in the 16th pick, and he could potentially be one on that spot, so swing for the fences.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
What needs to be discovered is, are we talking the continual recreational use of marijuana, including sale? Or addiction to a hard drug. When I say addiction, I'm asking the question is he an addictive personality in reference to drugs. 
Is that why he went to stay at a drug rehabilitation center or not? Or was it a introduction to the dangers of Marijuana type of thing. Totally different problems as far as I'm concerned.

Don't tell me Danny and other GM's don't know the answer to this question. Any GM that is seriously considering drafting him, would be lax if they didn't investigate if the kid is an actual addict. 

If he's a drug addict, sorry it would be no go for me. That's a life long battle.

If we're talking about smoking pot, and getting caught a few times, (I would hope they tested other members of the team), because I wish I had a dollar for every basketball player, high school, college, or pro's that has smoked marijuana. Many of these kids come from inner city low income lifestyles.

Hopefully he now understands that he will be under scrutiny from the NBA for his entire career and has learned his lesson. Smarten up, be an adult, Case closed.

Yeah, 'cause it's rare that middle class, suburban white kids ever smoke pot.

Obvs. That's why the war on drugs only really targets people from inner city low income lifestyles, because they're the only ones doing it.

Oh dear god - wow :o.

Should I have added (Sarcasm) to that? I thought it was fairly obvious.

You know, it sounded like it was sarcastic, and I was certainly hoping that it was, lol ;D, but I wasn't sure.  This is why I use (sarcasm) and emoji's - to convey tone, even though I guess that that bothers some people on here. 

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What needs to be discovered is, are we talking the continual recreational use of marijuana, including sale? Or addiction to a hard drug. When I say addiction, I'm asking the question is he an addictive personality in reference to drugs. 
Is that why he went to stay at a drug rehabilitation center or not? Or was it a introduction to the dangers of Marijuana type of thing. Totally different problems as far as I'm concerned.

Don't tell me Danny and other GM's don't know the answer to this question. Any GM that is seriously considering drafting him, would be lax if they didn't investigate if the kid is an actual addict. 

If he's a drug addict, sorry it would be no go for me. That's a life long battle.

If we're talking about smoking pot, and getting caught a few times, (I would hope they tested other members of the team), because I wish I had a dollar for every basketball player, high school, college, or pro's that has smoked marijuana. Many of these kids come from inner city low income lifestyles.

Hopefully he now understands that he will be under scrutiny from the NBA for his entire career and has learned his lesson. Smarten up, be an adult, Case closed.

Obvs. That's why the war on drugs only really targets people from inner city low income lifestyles, because they're the only ones doing it.

You know, it sounded like it was sarcastic, and I was certainly hoping that it was, lol ;D, but I wasn't sure.  This is why I use (sarcasm) and emoji's - to convey tone, even though I guess that that bothers some people on here.

I understand it may not be your intention, but on the Internet, frequent emoji use like that tends to convey the sense that you are laughing at the other person / find them ridiculous.

It's tough, though.  It can be easy to accidentally come across as more gruff or humorless than you intend, too.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
A large amount of the Celtic's smoke weed. I also know for a fact that JR Giddens has smoked weed dipped in embalming fluid . I also know that he said after the loss to the Magic in 09 was that the team was ok to smoke again and that was what most of the were doing( could be bs).

My source is a best friend and never has lied to me. My source does not know about the other players smoking weed first hand, just what Giddens told my source. BTW My source smoked with Giddens.

I wish I could say more, usually Id love to, but this person is very close to me and I could not say any more info.

BTW I have stated this before but it seemed with the Upshaw topic that I say it again.

Lol at Giddens ;D. Man, he's winning like Charlie Sheen.  Wow.  Embalming fluid, though? :o What!?  That's nuts.  It's so nice to see that he's wised up after that stabbing incident (sarcasm) ::)?

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
If he is available at 28 or 33, I am sure they will look hard at him.  That is part of the value of having all of these picks, you can take some chances.

The difference between a first round pick (28) and a second round pick (33) comes down to contract.  A second round contract will be less guaranteed money but he will reach UFA sooner so we don't have him tied up as long.  I actually think the 28 pick could be the best one to use on him.  You get him under control at pretty short money for the potential.  If he busts, the money won't hurt the cap space all that much.

As always, it depends on who else is available and about 100 other factors but I would not be upset at all if they were to use 28 or 33.

Okay, I really don't understand the argument concerning whether or not we should give him a guaranteed contract when rookie deals are chump change to NBA teams.  It's not like he's signing for the max or even the mle.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
A large amount of the Celtic's smoke weed. I also know for a fact that JR Giddens has smoked weed dipped in embalming fluid . I also know that he said after the loss to the Magic in 09 was that the team was ok to smoke again and that was what most of the were doing( could be bs).

My source is a best friend and never has lied to me. My source does not know about the other players smoking weed first hand, just what Giddens told my source. BTW My source smoked with Giddens.

I wish I could say more, usually Id love to, but this person is very close to me and I could not say any more info.

BTW I have stated this before but it seemed with the Upshaw topic that I say it again.

No one in the real world cares about whether or not you smoke pot, as long as it doesn't affect your job performance -- and, since NBA players are public figures/role models/NBA Cares representatives, that's why no one really talks about it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I understand it may not be your intention, but on the Internet, frequent emoji use like that tends to convey the sense that you are laughing at the other person / find them ridiculous.

It's tough, though.  It can be easy to accidentally come across as more gruff or humorless than you intend, too.

Oh.  Sorry, I didn't realize that.  If I put this ;D next to a sentence, or even a part of one, it's only because I thought that that particular bit was funny.  Similarly, I use ;) in an attempt to convey wit, and ::) indicates that it's something about which I'd roll my eyes or find ridiculous, but it's not a part of some grand plan of insulting or ridiculing another person through the use of emojis like the Da Vinci Code, lol ;D. If that's what you've taken from my responses to your posts in the past I'm terribly sorry, as I can assure you that it certainly is/was not intentional.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
If that's what you've taken from my responses to your posts in the past I'm terribly sorry, as I can assure you that it certainly is/was not intentional.

No worries.  I figured that was the case, which is why I thought I'd let you know.   8)
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

No one in the real world cares about whether or not you smoke pot, as long as it doesn't affect your job performance -- and, since NBA players are public figures/role models/NBA Cares representatives, that's why no one really talks about it.

Can you imagine if the NBA had a draconian drug policy with weed the way the NFL does?
- Mark Twain

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I don't see how he is available with our second or third pick. It an't happening , he is long gone ....weed or no weed.

I think we'd be dang lucky to land Upshaw at 16 .

I'm stopping .......at trading UP for him ........16 is where I take him

I like moving up for a 6-8 type player ......but if Kamansky , WCS etc fails ....then I would take him over Looney .....

UpShaw has some Cousins like game.   ....without giving up our two best players and three firsts

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Can you imagine if the NBA had a draconian drug policy with weed the way the NFL does?

We would be watching a lot more FIBA, I think.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
My bad for getting fiesty Dos, sorry.

No Problem! Easy to get snippy over the internet (I do it a lot).

Hypothetically, if Upshaw turned out to have a serious cocaine problem, when would you be okay with drafting him?

Yes, but only if we give him #30.

Not funny.

Do you get this torn up about everyone that's died before you were born? Must be awful, going around with so much pent up grief for the billions of dead people that existed before you.

You know what?  You're absolutely right - it's a ton of fun to not only joke about people dying, but especially someone who passed away via drugs, and whose death ultimately resulted in the demise of the Celtic dynasty (sarcasm).  That's hilarious (sarcasm)! ::)

Never made a Darwin award joke in your life, eh?

I suspect at least some members of this forum have had friends and/or family die of drug use or drug addiction. I hope you are not one of them, but if you happen to find yourself in that sad circumstance, you might walk away with a touch of dark humor about the whole thing.

I appreciate all your posts, you may even be my favorite poster. But my father passed away from substance abuse when i was 17, and the years leading up to it were even more difficult than his passing. I didn't find the joke funny, but rather in poor taste.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
If that's what you've taken from my responses to your posts in the past I'm terribly sorry, as I can assure you that it certainly is/was not intentional.

No worries.  I figured that was the case, which is why I thought I'd let you know.   8)

Thanks :). Btw, I've always wondered - why did you pick Ernst Stavro Blofeld, played by Charles Gray (I googled it, lol ;D), to be your avatar?  Just curious.