Author Topic: Ray Rice  (Read 70308 times)

Re: Ray Rice
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2014, 02:34:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Raven twitter just tweeted that they've terminated Ray Rice's contract.
... because the footage got leaked to TMZ.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2014, 02:35:30 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
TMZ...wins again.

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2014, 02:35:36 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
First line from the Deadspin article is good.

The Baltimore Ravens, who are still pretending they hadn't seen video of Ray Rice slugging his fiancée until this morning, just announced that they have cut Rice.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 02:36:38 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Everyone who drafted him this year in fantasy is going to lose their league.  I don't even believe in karma or the supernatural at all, but I honestly believe that first sentence.  You just can't recover from it

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 02:45:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 02:51:26 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Raven twitter just tweeted that they've terminated Ray Rice's contract.

Wow.  And if I'm not mistaken, he can't serve out the remainder of his suspension (either the current one or if the NFL decide to increase it) until somebody else signs him.

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 02:52:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Didn't McDonald play for 49ers yesterday after his coach Harbaugh had said he had a zero tolerance for DV???

Whenever I see an NFL player do something crazy or violent I always wonder how we expect these players to be civil when they are trained to play a sport with the objective of taking each other out on almost every play. One play described the effects of an NFL game as akin to being involved in multiple motor vehicle accidents. We have already seen the effects of football on the human brain. The women that date these men literally take their lives in their own hands.

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2014, 02:52:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
suspended indefinitely now.  good luck with that one NFL.  Of course they might get around it because I can't see any team signing him for the foreseeable future anyway.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2014, 02:55:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
suspended indefinitely now.  good luck with that one NFL.  Of course they might get around it because I can't see any team signing him for the foreseeable future anyway.

Certainly not this season.

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2014, 02:56:29 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
First line from the Deadspin article is good.

The Baltimore Ravens, who are still pretending they hadn't seen video of Ray Rice slugging his fiancée until this morning, just announced that they have cut Rice.

That is a perfect summation of today

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2014, 02:57:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Well at least we can talk about it now, since it affects fantasy football.

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2014, 03:05:45 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

I wouldn't go that far.  Certainly could see him getting signed when some team has injuries and needs a fill in.  Won't be till the second half of the season, but I could certainly see it happening (if he wasn't suspended anyway).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Didn't McDonald play for 49ers yesterday after his coach Harbaugh had said he had a zero tolerance for DV???

Whenever I see an NFL player do something crazy or violent I always wonder how we expect these players to be civil when they are trained to play a sport with the objective of taking each other out on almost every play. One play described the effects of an NFL game as akin to being involved in multiple motor vehicle accidents. We have already seen the effects of football on the human brain. The women that date these men literally take their lives in their own hands.

I was a little shocked by that as well.  I know they can not suspend him until the legal part plays out, but they still could have put him on the inactive list. 

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2014, 03:07:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm glad for the outcome, though I would hope Rice could get a second chance down the road.  He did a horrible thing, and deserves to miss the season, but I believe with rare exception a person can always redeem themselves in time.

...but I also can't help but have qualms about the fact his penalties are dramatically shifting based on the amount of negative attention the NFL and Ravens are getting.  The team and league are making it clear the real offense wasn't hitting his wife, but hitting her in a way that embarrassed them publicly, and receiving an initial punishment that was tone-deaf to say the least.

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2014, 03:15:44 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I wouldn't go that far.  Certainly could see him getting signed when some team has injuries and needs a fill in.  Won't be till the second half of the season, but I could certainly see it happening (if he wasn't suspended anyway).

I'm not buying it.  It'd be PR poison for any franchise that signs him this season. 

Redemption won't happen this year.  It took years for Vick to get it back (obviously, jail didn't help) but with that video out there, no NFL owner is going to want to take on this loaded issue & the media spectacle that will come with it.