Author Topic: Movies you're embarrassed to have never seen  (Read 28969 times)

Re: Movies you're embarrassed to have never seen
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2009, 06:49:33 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
The Godfather Movies....It really bugs me that I have not watched them. I felt the same about Band of Brothers and just had the opportunity to watch that series in the last few weeks. I love war movies and that series is honestly the best movie/show/series I have ever seen hands down,from the acting, graphics, realizm, etc....I cannot believe it took me that long to see it.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2009, 06:57:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The Godfather Movies....It really bugs me that I have not watched them. I felt the same about Band of Brothers and just had the opportunity to watch that series in the last few weeks. I love war movies and that series is honestly the best movie/show/series I have ever seen hands down,from the acting, graphics, realizm, etc....I cannot believe it took me that long to see it.

Setting aside the 3 and a half hours might have something to do with it!  Break em up if you have to (the first couple anyhow, part III is skippable)
Yup

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2009, 07:20:12 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The Matrix
Titanic
the Godfather Series
I've also not seen Titanic. However, rather than be embarrassed, I've always been rather proud of it.

i might take some heat for this, but Titanic is a good movie.  It has some really chick-flicky parts, but overall its a good movie. 

As for the Matrix, im not too big of a fan.

Edit: anyone who has a problem with me liking Titanic can speak to my associate pictured in my avatar.
Titanic is a great movie. For those who refuse to see it, I'm not sure how having "chick-flicky" parts is any worse than having mindless action. Powerful drama with well done special effects when the ship is sinking.

I can see how the movie wouldn't be comfortable for those who are uneasy with sentimentality, such as the 300 crowd (had to stop watching that mindless tripe after 10 minutes).

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2009, 07:24:41 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
citizen kane and casablanca
Citizen Kane bored me. I was more entertained by Casablanca, but I have a hard time getting into many of the older classics.

If you have already watched a lot of modern cinema, it is hard for older stuff to be fresh out of historical context.

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2009, 07:45:54 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The Matrix
Titanic
the Godfather Series
I've also not seen Titanic. However, rather than be embarrassed, I've always been rather proud of it.

i might take some heat for this, but Titanic is a good movie.  It has some really chick-flicky parts, but overall its a good movie. 

Edit: anyone who has a problem with me liking Titanic can speak to my associate pictured in my avatar.
Titanic is a great movie. For those who refuse to see it, I'm not sure how having "chick-flicky" parts is any worse than having mindless action. Powerful drama with well done special effects when the ship is sinking.

I can see how the movie wouldn't be comfortable for those who are uneasy with sentimentality, such as the 300 crowd (had to stop watching that mindless tripe after 10 minutes).

did you gentlemen just attempt to call titanic better than the matrix? um... geez... yikes.... so what do you guys think about adding jamario moon??
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2009, 08:50:19 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
ah, Caddyshack, I never saw that either, so sad

also adding to sports movies I haven't (but will see)

Brian's Song
Slap Shot

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2009, 08:55:43 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
independence day. sigh. it was an afternoon matinee and i had nothing else to do. i confess.  :'(

boy, the jingoism there was pretty bad. i beg forgiveness.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2009, 09:06:35 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
1.  Caddy Shack
2.  Animalhouse
3.  Reservoir dogs

I'm sure I'm gonna get pounded for that list, but hey at least I'm honest.  Mybe I'll be convinced to actually see them

i feel very sorry for you on all accounts

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2009, 09:57:05 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
naruto 1 and 2
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2009, 10:02:37 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
1.  Caddy Shack
2.  Animalhouse
3.  Reservoir dogs

I'm sure I'm gonna get pounded for that list, but hey at least I'm honest.  Mybe I'll be convinced to actually see them

i feel very sorry for you on all accounts

I wonder how Caddyshack would hold up as a first time viewing at this point.  I love it because all of the jokes are so memorable, but would they still be funny today seeing it for the first time.  I'd like to think so, but audiences are different now.
Yup

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2009, 10:26:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
The Matrix
Titanic
the Godfather Series

did you gentlemen just attempt to call titanic better than the matrix? um... geez... yikes.... so what do you guys think about adding jamario moon??
The first Matrix movie was great. I didn't say anything against it. The 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies were really bad, but the first one was a great movie.

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2009, 04:20:49 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Now an embarrassed movie I have seen is Best In Show, thanks to my wife and to this day she gets mad if I bring it up! She just had to keep watching "its gonna get better I promise, my Mom said it was good."
Well guess what my Mother-in-law has bad taste in movies!!!!
 Now Broke Back Mountain, I fell asleep within 10 minutes.....Thank God!

Man, I loved both Best in Show and Brokeback Mountain. 

The two biggies that I have never seen are Godfather II and Casablanca.  I have also missed several movies by greats like Alfred Hitchcock and Billy Wilder.

I'm not really familiar with John Cassavetes work, and I know people that swear by his movies. 

And I've missed out on a lot of foreign stuff, life Fellini, Bergman, etc.

But besides Godfather II and Casablanca, I don't really catch a lot of flack for the rest.  I do, however, catch hell for a lot of TV shows that I've never seen.  I have never watched any of the HBO or Showtime programs that everyone has raved about, or any of the stuff on FX (except for one season of It's Always Sunny... which I loved).  I haven't had cable in a couple of years, and when Ive had cable I've never had the premium channels.

But Ive been plowing through movies like a madman since starting a netflix account last month.  Once I exhaust all my movie ideas I'll have to start burning through some of these TV programs everyone raves about.

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2009, 06:43:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Now an embarrassed movie I have seen is Best In Show, thanks to my wife and to this day she gets mad if I bring it up! She just had to keep watching "its gonna get better I promise, my Mom said it was good."
Well guess what my Mother-in-law has bad taste in movies!!!!
 Now Broke Back Mountain, I fell asleep within 10 minutes.....Thank God!

Man, I loved both Best in Show and Brokeback Mountain. 

The two biggies that I have never seen are Godfather II and Casablanca.  I have also missed several movies by greats like Alfred Hitchcock and Billy Wilder.

I'm not really familiar with John Cassavetes work, and I know people that swear by his movies. 

And I've missed out on a lot of foreign stuff, life Fellini, Bergman, etc.

But besides Godfather II and Casablanca, I don't really catch a lot of flack for the rest.  I do, however, catch hell for a lot of TV shows that I've never seen.  I have never watched any of the HBO or Showtime programs that everyone has raved about, or any of the stuff on FX (except for one season of It's Always Sunny... which I loved).  I haven't had cable in a couple of years, and when Ive had cable I've never had the premium channels.

But Ive been plowing through movies like a madman since starting a netflix account last month.  Once I exhaust all my movie ideas I'll have to start burning through some of these TV programs everyone raves about.
http://watch-entourage.com/

If you look on the side you will find plenty of other shows, like Weeds, True Blood, Nurse Jackie, the Tudors, and a bunch of non-premium shows (lost, heroes, fringe, etc.)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2009, 07:18:53 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
If you look on the side you will find plenty of other shows, like Weeds, True Blood, Nurse Jackie, the Tudors, and a bunch of non-premium shows (lost, heroes, fringe, etc.)

I did just see a handful of Entourage episodes a few weeks ago, and I loved it.  Totally destroyed the preconceived notions I had of the show.

Have also heard good things about Weeds.  I have watched the first 3 seasons of Lost.  Love it.

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2009, 07:37:13 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Now, Citizen Kane is a great movie.

Titanic, on the other hand, was sickening. But any movie in which Leo DiCaprio dies has some redeeming qualities.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."