Author Topic: What will the Cavs do with the LBJ exception and the two picks  (Read 5669 times)

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553
From what I can tell it is likely that Cleveland keeps the first pick and takes Kyrie Irving, but I'm not sure what it does with the 4th pick.  Is Cleveland working the phones and seeing what it can get for the 4th pick and using the James trade exception so that a team can essentially just dump money or are they just going to keep #4 and see if the exception can get them something when free agency starts?

Is #4, #32, Erden (or other players like him), and the exception enough to land Rudy Gay?  I know the draft is weak, but that has to be appealing to Memphis on a number of levels.  If not Rudy Gay, who else could be available for a package like that?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: What will the Cavs do with the LBJ exception and the two picks
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 11:50:18 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2414
Not enough for Rudy Gay. That would be a very bad trade for Memphis.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 11:59:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Not enough for Rudy Gay. That would be a very bad trade for Memphis.
I don't know about very bad, though it probably isn't enough.  Cnnsi.com has the 4th pick as Enes Kanter, 32 would be a pretty good player, Erden showed some ability, and they save a ton of a cash so they can re-sign Marc Gasol. 

I guess I just have no idea what the market for Rudy Gay is.  He is a great scorer no doubt, but he does have a lot of money left and Memphis nearly made the WCF without him making him a bit expendable on their end.

I guess if the Cavs can get Irving and Kanter, they should probably just go that route and then maybe use the exception to pick up some more future picks, i.e. take on someone a team wants to get rid of and get some picks and cash for the trouble (Artest comes to mind though I don't think the Cavs would do that particular move, though something like it).

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 12:03:31 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I'd like to see the Cavs be aggressive in trying to move Hickson while he still has value. I don't think this kid has the mind to make it as an impact player.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 12:09:20 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The Cavs are a mess right now. In a stronger draft I would say keep both picks but I dont know if they can get enough value even at the 1 and 4 to start up the rebuilding process. Hickson wont be a star player but he can be a valuable roll guy for a team that is starting to rebuild. They really should do everything they can to trade Davis and Jamison, get young, and just start over.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:17:32 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I don't think the fourth pick has much value. Outside of the top two guys, there are no sure things in the remainder of the lottery. A lot of unknowns, high risk players and undeveloped / raw players.

I don't think any team will trade an established star for that pick. Not unless they are trying to get rid of someone.

I think the pick is worth a high level role player / veteran or a solid but unexceptional prospect who is still on his rookie contract. Say a young veteran like Aaron Brooks or a Jeff Green. Or a prospect like DeMar DeRozan or someone of that ilk.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 12:19:05 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Gilbert has shown he is willing to take risks and take on additional payroll in order to improve the Cavs. He could carve up that exception bit by bit like Sam Presti did with the Sonics/Thunder, using it to leverage draft picks from teams desperate to drop payroll.

Or, he could swing for the fences, and try to use it to land a marquee player on a long-term contract.

I also wonder whether he might be able to persuade Minnesota to drop down from #2 to #4, assuming that Minnesota really wants Kanter and not Williams.

Who's Utah targeting at #3? Williams, if he's there, right?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 12:22:06 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Gilbert has shown he is willing to take risks and take on additional payroll in order to improve the Cavs. He could carve up that exception bit by bit like Sam Presti did with the Sonics/Thunder, using it to leverage draft picks from teams desperate to drop payroll.

Yes, this is what I expect them to do with the trade exception.

I also wonder whether he might be able to persuade Minnesota to drop down from #2 to #4, assuming that Minnesota really wants Kanter and not Williams.

That would be a great move by Cleveland.

Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams would be quite the haul ... especially from a draft as weak as this.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 12:30:27 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams would be quite the haul ... especially from a draft as weak as this.

What might the price tag for #2 be? Minnesota really doesn't need any cap help. Would Cleveland have to add a 2012 pick to move up from #4?

Minnesota does not have a 2012 pick.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 12:32:21 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Who's Utah targeting at #3? Williams, if he's there, right?
I would assume Irving and Williams would be 1 and 2 on Utah's list (in that order).  I could certainly see them taking Kantor or Knight, and I wouldn't be surprised if they gambled on one of the foreign players. 

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 12:36:18 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

What might the price tag for #2 be? Minnesota really doesn't need any cap help. Would Cleveland have to add a 2012 pick to move up from #4?

If I'm Cleveland no way I give up a first in 2012 to move up 2 spots for Derrick Williams unless the pick was top 20 protected (or something like that). 

I could honestly see Minnesota dropping back 2 spots for #32 and 3 million in cash.  Cleveland could even take on money if Minnesota wanted to get rid of someone (though it isn't like Minny has an Artest type contract). 

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 12:39:40 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

If I'm Cleveland no way I give up a first in 2012 to move up 2 spots for Derrick Williams unless the pick was top 20 protected (or something like that). 

I could honestly see Minnesota dropping back 2 spots for #32 and 3 million in cash.  Cleveland could even take on money if Minnesota wanted to get rid of someone (though it isn't like Minny has an Artest type contract). 

In a draft where most are claiming a large drop off after the top two prospects (Williams and Irving), I just can't see Minnesota taking that kind of offer to drop down to that second tier of players.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 12:43:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Just for fun, if you were Cleveland, would you give up the #1 pick and Varajao for Rondo?  Would you do that if you were Boston?

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 12:45:19 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

In a draft where most are claiming a large drop off after the top two prospects (Williams and Irving), I just can't see Minnesota taking that kind of offer to drop down to that second tier of players.
depends on how much a drop off they think it is.  I'd actually be surprised if 5 years from now Williams is the second best player in this draft.  I just don't think his game will translate all that well.  I'd put him in the Marvin Williams/Jeff Green type category.  You know a tweener with a lot of athleticism, but that just can't put it all together.  He should be a solid pro, but I don't see him being #2 pick worthy.  Maybe he will prove me wrong, but I'm just not sold.  

Irving on the other hand seems to have all the tools and is clearly the man to take at #1.  

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 12:46:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Just for fun, if you were Cleveland, would you give up the #1 pick and Varajao for Rondo?  Would you do that if you were Boston?

I probably would make that trade if I'm Danny Ainge.  Gives the C's a nice young banger to compliment KG and a PG of the future (have West start next year while you work Irving in).