Poll

Should smart start?

Yes
13 (86.7%)
No
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Should Smart start at the 2 permanently?  (Read 15978 times)

Re: Should Smart start at the 2 permanently?
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2018, 11:59:48 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If the plan is to [possibly] flip Brown and assets in a bigger trade after the season (AD, anyone?), then he really needs to be starting. I like what Smart brings to the team, but Brad is right - he is best used as an energy guy and distributor off the bench. He orchestrates the 2nd unit and is the identity behind that unit.

Forget the playoffs for a moment, the starting 5 of Irving, Brown, Tatum, Horford, and Baynes was fantastic last year. While I don't blame him, Hayward threw a wrench in how well the team ran (since they did it all without him). If he were Kawhi, it would be a different story - he clearly needs a lot more time to adjust and get some semblance of athletic ability back.

I would just run with that line-up for a while and let the bench do their thing. Smart, Rozier, Hayward, Morris, and Theis is a ridiculous bench line-up. If Rozier can't adapt, then deal him, but demoting Brown - our most versatile and athletic defender who showed a lot of growth last year - doesn't make the most sense to me.

« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2018, 12:30:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When asked if Smart will be starting going forward Stevens says the problem with that is they rely on his energy at the 6 minute mark.

Take that for what it is but it's definitely not a very good statement on the possibility of Smart starting long term.

They wouldn't need his energy at the 6 minute mark if they have a nice lead each night because he is starting   Especially if they have energy from the start of the game and the team doesn’t have to claw back from a double digit deficit.

Yep, and if it isn’t working in any particular game we can always give Smart a quick hook and we have options of bringing Hayward, Brown, of Rozier quickly off the bench.   

We have been getting torched by shooting guards like Oladipo that I think we should give this lineup a serious look for now.  The added benefit is Irving gets to play more off the ball.
Hey...I am just the messenger. At this point, try anything, but I am still convinced it all comes down to hitting wide open shots and the only two players doing that consistently has been Kyrie and Morris.

We won with Smart starting, not Brown, with Horford, Morris, Kyrie and Tatum. In Atlanta we won with Baynes, Morris, Tatum, Brown Kyrie. The only thing common in those two starts are Morris, Tatum and Kyrie, the three guys who hit the most open shots.

« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2018, 01:51:40 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
When Stevens talks about wanting Smart's energy off the bench, maybe he has to remember that this isn't the same bench he's coached in the past. This is the most veteran team he's ever had. Maybe it's ok to start Smart knowing that steady hands like some combination of Hayward, Baynes, and Morris will be coming in off the bench.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2018, 04:59:57 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Smart to start?

Let's look at history...in Boston.

Rondo
Allen
Pierce
Garnett
Perkins

Rondo and Perkins were not on the floor for offense...watch the games

They were there to facilitate three hall of fame scorers on the offensive end.

This structure worked. This years team is not the same, I'm talking about this as an example.

Smart
Irving
Tatum
Horford
Baynes

With this lineup Irving, Tatum and Horford's roles on the offensive end are defined.

Smart and Baynes, on offense are there to facilitate three top of the line scorers and then? Play defense which has been weak in this 20 game stretch.

Mr. Hayward and Mr. Brown can work it out off the bench and, I think they most definitely will....Hayward is already looking better, although, the process looks like April more than January.

Smart did ok on Holiday, let's see how this goes...maybe we have a trend here.

Irving's weakness = Defense
Smart's weakness = Offense

If Smart can help stop four points a night from the opponent's "best guard"....Uncle Drew's =/- just improved a lot

The Celtic's back court looked better the other night...not brilliant mind you, but, better.

« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2018, 06:27:22 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
What should happen with Smart on the floor instead of Jaylen is that Kyrie, Tatum, Al and possibly Morris, get more shooting opportunities. Jaylen and Gordon on the bench means they get more touches as well. Gordon had been subordinating himself to the other four guys on the floor when he was starting because there's too many players who need touches on the floor at the same time.

People who have to go to the bench or take less shots and are afraid they have regressing stat lines just have to swallow their egos like our Second Big Three did back in 2007-08:

Code: [Select]
Paul Pierce
Team Season Min PPG FGA Usage
BOS 2006-07 37.0 25.0 18.5 30.7%
BOS 2007-08 35.9 19.6 13.7 24.8%

Kevin Garnett
MIN 2006-07 39.4 22.4 17.6 27.4%
BOS 2007-08 32.8 18.8 13.8 25.5%

Ray Allen
SEA 2006-07 40.3 26.4 21.0 29.5%
BOS 2007-08 35.9 17.4 13.5 21.6%

This is what sacrificing for the greater good looks like. Pierce, Garnett and Allen all sacrificed their usage %, their minutes, their FGA because they had to, if they were to win a championship they had to be a champion team, not a team of champions. Ray's ppg went from 26 to 17 and he took 8 less shots than he previously did.

That's UBUNTU. That's what our players (and fans) need to accept. Don't compare their average and total stat lines from last year to this year. Look at their efficiency, shooting %s, etc. to see if they are making the most of the touches they have.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2018, 11:35:55 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Dismantled the cavs with smart starting

« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2018, 11:40:45 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'm all in on Smart starting. He and Irving compliment each other and starting Smart is like punching the other team in the mouth at the start of the game. Break their will, and you will win.

« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2018, 11:45:37 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Dismantled the cavs with smart starting
Which would mean something if Lebron was still on the Cavs.  Definitely worth trying but need to see how it works against teams with a pulse.    ;D 

« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2018, 11:50:41 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I'm all in on Smart starting. He and Irving compliment each other and starting Smart is like punching the other team in the mouth at the start of the game. Break their will, and you will win.
I think it would depend on who we're playing.  Probably good against teams where we can start Horford at C.  Probably not against teams like the Sixers where Baynes needs to start at C.   

« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2018, 11:52:49 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Gorman mentioned this last night, but it's something I noticed the past few games. Smart is shooting very well, including from 3 point territory, since entering the starting lineup.

« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2018, 11:56:31 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I like the idea of Smart starting until Hayward is close to being his old self.  The current starting lineup has a nice balance of scorers, play makers, and defenders.  Eventually I expect Jaylen to slide back into the lineup. 

« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2018, 12:23:25 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Put in a chicken as long as we win! IDC about feelings or anything else, I WANT TO WIN!!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2018, 12:41:54 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Kyrie has had exceptional chemistry with Baynes. It would be great to have those two on the floor together more going forward.

« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2018, 02:29:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
If he is shooting decent ,  lets not jinx that gig ....

I say ride that horse.

« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2018, 02:40:05 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
I like the idea of Smart starting until Hayward is close to being his old self.  The current starting lineup has a nice balance of scorers, play makers, and defenders.  Eventually I expect Jaylen to slide back into the lineup.

This. The value of Smart (beyond his perimeter defense and energy/intensity) is that he provides us with another perimeter playmaker that was supposed to be a role filled by Hayward. Being able to play Kyrie on and off the ball is huge for our offense. Having Smart fill that role until Hayward gets back to full speed makes a ton of sense.

I think the more interesting question is how to handle the Morris/Brown question, as Morris’ vet consistency and leadership has been equally important for our starting lineup.