Author Topic: Last night, Tommy wanted to see if Lester Hudson could run 2nd unit as PG  (Read 4862 times)

Re: Last night, Tommy wanted to see if Lester Hudson could run 2nd unit as PG
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 11:04:27 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Tommy is a Hall of Fame player/coach. The thing he understands, that Doc does not, is the regular season is good for experimenting. Let Hudson play some extended minutes with the 2nd team. What could it hurt? Can't be any worse than House running the team.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 11:15:29 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Tommy is a Hall of Fame player/coach. The thing he understands, that Doc does not, is the regular season is good for experimenting. Let Hudson play some extended minutes with the 2nd team. What could it hurt? Can't be any worse than House running the team.

That's my feeling.  Especially at this point in the season.  Come games 60-82 I wouldn't want to be experimenting, but right now, it's not gooing to hurt this team at all.
do it

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 11:16:38 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He's also in retirement age. We love Tom, and he's an invaluable character to have on the broadcasting team, but more often rather than not his comments on basketball sound like they should be taken with a grain of salt. He also hasn't coached an NBA game in quite a lot of time.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
I disagree. Tommy might see things a little "green" sometimes, but that is all for tv. Home team announcers do that. At least successful ones. As far as Tommy's basketball IQ right now, I think it's very high. Especially on the Celtics. The guy goes to practice, talks to players and coaches, and watches every game. He's in the mix, not just some old man spouting off nonsense like, "When I played there were peach baskets instead of rims."
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 12:32:04 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Doc will probably give as many minutes to Hudson as Coach Heinsohn gave to Ben Clyde, Jerome Anderson, Phil Hankinson, Steve Downing, Tom Boswell et all.

Do you know who those guys were, Chief? They were Tommy's late pick rookies when he was coaching good teams.

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 03:21:41 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
Doc will probably give as many minutes to Hudson as Coach Heinsohn gave to Ben Clyde, Jerome Anderson, Phil Hankinson, Steve Downing, Tom Boswell et all.

Do you know who those guys were, Chief? They were Tommy's late pick rookies when he was coaching good teams.

Wasn't Tom Boswell the dad off Happy Days? Maybe that was Tom Bosley?? Actually, no I don't, that was a little before my time. I do know that Tommy had some loaded teams, especially at guard. We don't. House is not cutting it. So let's give Hudson a look for a game or two.

Larry Bird

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 04:31:50 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Last night after Doc inserted Lester Hudson, Tommy noted that he would love to see Doc give this rookie some time to see if he can effectively run the second unit as its PG to give it some rhythm and flow.

Glad to hear that I and others on this board were not alone.

Would love to hear Tommy's opinion if Lester Hudson gets some time to see what Hudson's strengths and weaknesses, and his opinion on whether Hudson could fill this role as the season plays on.

Really? Lester running the 2nd unit? Maybe (maybe!) in a blowout win, but I can't envision him coming in to play meaningful minutes. For a guy that loves to jack his shot is pretty weak. How's a shoot-first PG in the NBA EVER going to find ANY meaningful minutes in this league?

I think Danny might be trying to showcase Lester and Giddens. Package them both with Tony Allen for ANYBODY (Nate Robinson? Marcus Camby? Tim Thomas?) and I'd be thrilled.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 06:08:09 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Tommy says that about any young player on the end of the bench. He said the same thing about Gabe Pruitt last year and how good pruitt can be.  He is the epitome of a homer, I don't see Hudson getting playing time any time soon.

Tommy Heinson knows talent.  He may have taken over for Johnny Most in terms of his announcing.  You should recall that he used to do Nationally televised games for CBS.
However, Tommy did play with the likes of Bob Cousy, Bill Russell and John Havelicek.  He did win two championships as a coach.  And he has watched more talent and players in this league, than anyone on this board.  If Tommy says give him more time,,,give him more time.  Certainly, it can't hurt.
Eddie House, and Brian Scalabrine can't slash and can't play point guard.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-