Author Topic: Donny Marshall  (Read 6234 times)

Re: Donny Marshall
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2009, 12:04:48 PM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
Sorry, didn't mean to make that last post, but don't know how to delete it.

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2009, 06:22:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
When Tommy retires I hope CSN is smart enough to get Cedric Maxwell as color guy. On television he tones his act down and is actually very, very good. Sean Grande probably wouldn't make a bad play by play guy on television either, again, as long as he can tone it down as well. Sometimes you just have to let the pictures do the talking and I think he would need to learn that.
Please, god, no. I'll never get over all the quacking.

The guy I'd really want after Tommy retires is McHale, but I guess that's a pipe dream.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2009, 06:26:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
He makes me want to watch Celtics games on mute, Gorman is the reason I don't. He was an NBA scrub he hasn't won anything and hasn't coach anyone worth noting. Why does he think he is qualified to tell guys what they are doing wrong when they're probably twice the NBA player he ever was.
And Mike hasn't even played in an NBA game, so what gives?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When Tommy retires I hope CSN is smart enough to get Cedric Maxwell as color guy. On television he tones his act down and is actually very, very good. Sean Grande probably wouldn't make a bad play by play guy on television either, again, as long as he can tone it down as well. Sometimes you just have to let the pictures do the talking and I think he would need to learn that.
Please, god, no. I'll never get over all the quacking.

The guy I'd really want after Tommy retires is McHale, but I guess that's a pipe dream.
Max has done the C's on CSN several times and I don't think he quacked once. Thank god. Your right though. If he were to bring his whole radio schtick to CSN he would be awful, but the times he has done television, he's been very very good.

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2009, 07:30:03 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
He makes me want to watch Celtics games on mute, Gorman is the reason I don't. He was an NBA scrub he hasn't won anything and hasn't coach anyone worth noting. Why does he think he is qualified to tell guys what they are doing wrong when they're probably twice the NBA player he ever was.

Yeah but Gorman does the color commentary and Donny is supposed to provide the insight and analytical stuff. He is supposed to be providing his knowledge of the game where Gorman does the play by play. I'm not saying that you need to have certain credentials in order to be able to provide this but just pointing it out. I actually don't mind Donny that much and I absolutely love Max.

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2009, 10:25:24 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Yeah but Gorman does the color commentary and Donny is supposed to provide the insight and analytical stuff. He is supposed to be providing his knowledge of the game where Gorman does the play by play. I'm not saying that you need to have certain credentials in order to be able to provide this but just pointing it out. I actually don't mind Donny that much and I absolutely love Max.
You're getting things confused here. Color commentary and play-by-play commentary are two distinctly different positions.

On CSN, Gorman typically does the play-by-play (which means commentary when the game is in progress), and Heinsohn/Donny do the color (commentary when the game is not in progress).