Author Topic: Do the Celts affect your career location? In particular, 'us' vs LAL.  (Read 1908 times)

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
In many ways, the Celts have had an effect on my career decisions.

Some time ago, I'd gotten a great job offer from Houston and I almost took it. For me, I'd have no issues living there... enjoying the plethora of fine dining est, reasonable & friendly people, warm winters, and watching the Rockets (or any of the neighboring cities' teams, Spurs/Mavs) play. And the prices of homes were really on par w/ my budget. For swimming in the ocean, however, one needed to make a ~2 hour trek to Corpus Cristi but that's ok.

All and all, I didn't go and stuck it out w/ my local job and sometimes, I have lingering thoughts on if that other job might have been a better choice.

Now, on the flip side, a similar type of job opportunity arose in Southern Cal but I had no problems turning them down for the combination of taxes, road traffic, idiot residents, and the Lakers were a turn off from the get-go. The difference, however, was that the office was friendly and perhaps a bit less cut throat then some of our Boston locals and transplants.

All and all, the issue was clear... the Rockets, Spurs, etc, are the good guys of the league, the Celt's sun belt cousins, whereas the Lakers (& sometimes the Knicks, but a little less so) represent the anti-thesis of Celtics nation.

Re: Do the Celts affect your career location? In particular, 'us' vs LAL.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 11:16:15 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
For me, I can say it hasn't.  I moved from New England to New Jersey (first Yankees / Knicks country, then Phillies / Sixers).  I definitely miss the Celts (and will be returning "home" soon), but I figure that things like the internet and league pass allow me to stay connected to sports.

However, I don't think I could live in southern California.  It just doesn't appeal to me, and the Lakers are only a part of that.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 11:51:48 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I wish I had a career that afforded me that luxury, but unfortunately, no.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 12:11:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I have lived from VA to CT, and every state in between except NY.  It hasn't been effected by the teams I watch.  Just so easy now a days to keep up with out of market teams.

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 12:24:52 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I have lived in the Boston area my whole life so far, so this hasn't affected me much yet.  Although I have lately been considering moving out to Boise (my GF went to school there, and is pushing for it...and the house prices are a nice motivator), and one of the major cons has been having to give up my season tickets to the C's.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 01:10:34 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
I have lived in the Boston area my whole life so far, so this hasn't affected me much yet.

Yep, same here, and it's the most difficult hometown to leave. Many, who'd moved out for better job opportunities, whether it be in the NYC-to-Richmond corridor, the West coast, or even the Sunbelt, eventually want to come back home. All and all, the only non-New England place where Bostonians seem to like long term is Colorado: Denver, Boulder, and the Springs.

Although I have lately been considering moving out to Boise (my GF went to school there, and is pushing for it...and the house prices are a nice motivator).

That would be quite a change, a completely different pace of life than on the east coast.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 03:39:23 PM »

Offline BBS

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 11
 LA Lakers have nothing to do with this but here is how the Celtics affect me.

Once I quite my job so I could watch the Celtics Playoff run 2002 I think. One year I was in a town that the cable company didn't have ComcastSportsNet so I had to sit out in a cold van all winter durring Celtics games to listen to it on AM radio out of Boston and I was 6+ ours away from there but on most nights it came in quite clear to my suprize.
 As soon as the opertunaty presented it self I moved. This move put me a half hour drive longer than before to get to work just so I could watch the Celtics from the comfort of my couch and not a cold van.
 Now that DVR is availible in our area I don't have to quit a job to watch games. I just have to avoid hearing the score untill I can watch the game.
I also have a whole room in my house devoted to the Celtics. Celtics chairs, posters, pictures, shoes, banners, cereal boxes, basketballs, jerseys ect. ect. I gotta thank my wife for that.

I have won tickets to Celtics games 3 times and tryed to hitch hike the 6+ hour drive 2 of those times only to be stranded in the cold about half way from home and the Garden. The other time I made it. I had no licence at the time.

I think you get the picture.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 04:22:11 PM by BBS »

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 08:54:44 PM »

Offline Greeny

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
  • LETS DO IT AGAIN!
I remember getting out of college and my friend and I were looking to move to Miami and get season tickets their inagural year.
After living in MA my whole life, and now being married with 4 kids, it would be a dream to move somewhere else. Cant move away from family/friends now....
I hate the weather here for the next 6 months, but I love the people here and most of all...the CELTICS!
Being at Game 6 of the 2008 NBA finals was a dream come true after never being able to afford going to the C's more than once a year in the 80's.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 11:20:55 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
As a lifelong (for better or worse) New England resident I moved closer to the C's and Boston 19 years ago but during the lean years I might as well have been living in Ypsylanti or Des Moines. So it's a wash.

I am not a big fan of LA (other than the agreeable weather) but I could/would move to San Diego in a heartbeat. There's not a lot of Faker fans, it's far enough from LA that embracing anything connected with LA is viewed with suspicion, and I could get the satellite package. I'd feel no more disconnected from C's fans than listening to WEEI non-stop about JD Drew's contract two weeks after the Sox were eliminated and five days before the C's opener. And the scenery is nice.

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 12:06:35 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I did not look for jobs elsewhere while I had season tix. Now I would consider moving home to NYC, or even elsewhere for professional reasons. I was a Celtics fans in NYC for most of my life. I would have to watch a lot more illegal streams of games, I suppose.