Author Topic: A chance Refs call a fair game?  (Read 2608 times)

A chance Refs call a fair game?
« on: June 10, 2008, 11:21:16 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
It seems like everyone accepts that it is a foregone conclusion that the refs will greatly favor the Lakers in this game.  But, isn't there a chance that the refs make an extra effort to call an even game for the following reasons:

- Phil Jackson has whined and moaned about horrible officiating, thereby calling the officials integrity out on a national stage.
- The national media has jumped on the bandwagon
- Fans trust in the integrity of officiating is seriously in jeapordy
- Bennett Salvatore is officiating ... before you jump on me for this one bear with me.  I firmly believe as someone posted on this site after game 6 vs. Detroit that Salvatore's bogus offensive foul call on Pierce was likely his reaction to all the negativity about the blown Brent Barry call.  He was trying to make a point that this phony flopping and drawing fouls won't be tolerated.  I could see Salvatore taking it upon himself to rectify this other "perception" that the refs are biased towards the home teams.
- Finally, I don't buy the conspiracy theory that the league wants 6 or 7 games.  As much as that seems true at times, I think trying to cover that up would be an impossible task ... and we've never once heard anything from any ex official or NBA exec that has ever suggested that.

This is not to say that the C's will win, but doesn't anybody agree that it's possible that the officiating is very impartial tonight?

Re: A chance Refs call a fair game?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 11:25:29 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
I agree with all of your post except the last part.

David Stern doesn't have to tell the officials anything and nothing has to be on record.

If the officials think there will be a reward for getting the boss what they think he wants. They will do it. Called sucking up! Stern is very powerful people will try to please him.

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:37:30 AM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Somebody actually called a travel on Paul in game 2.....And he only took one extra step.  Bizarre interpretation of the traveling rule as it applies to today's stars.  Official probably used muscles he hadn't used in ages signaling the call. 

I don't think Stern has a favorite in this series.   

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 11:40:24 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
There is absolutetly no chance one or two of our "big three" doesn't get in foul trouble by the end of the 1st quarter.....none

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 11:42:11 AM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Somebody actually called a travel on Paul in game 2.....And he only took one extra step.  Bizarre interpretation of the traveling rule as it applies to today's stars.  Official probably used muscles he hadn't used in ages signaling the call. 

I don't think Stern has a favorite in this series.   

Yet Radmonovic got away with a travel on his fastbreak after his steal at the end of the game......

Oh, there is absolutely no way the officials will call an even game..... there will be a parade to the freethrow line by the Lakers.  The only way the C's will win this is by playing a perfect game.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 11:42:21 AM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
If we were on PTI playing oddsmakers I'd give it 0%. or 100% fair for the Lakers. Kobe is going to have a red carpet laid out towards the hoop. Ray Ray is going to have 4 fouls and T by half time.

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 11:44:47 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Why the heck would they start now?!? Nice thought, but I wouldn't count on it.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 12:17:13 PM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Meh, didn't the Pistons get most of the calls in Game 6?  A strong team plays through.

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 12:20:17 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
yes, there is a chance the game is called relatively impartial.  but more importantly i agree with samueladams that the strong teams play through the refereeing inconsistencies. 
Celtics fan for life.