Author Topic: Prediction for the next couple of games  (Read 5925 times)

Prediction for the next couple of games
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:07:01 PM »

Offline Last Train

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
No doubt the Lakers have been hearing non-stop about how they aren't physical enough, they can't rebound, defend and attack the basket. They will have heard this from the coaches, the media and everyone they come in contact with over the next couple of days.

I think they will do their best to fix it. I think they drive to the hoop more, go up stronger and get some calls.

What I'm afraid of is the fact that they can't change who they are defensively. They are going to give it the old college try, but on that end of the floor you need to time (and probably some new personnel) to change your DNA to fix those problems. So what I am afraid of is this - in a misguided attempt to improve their defense and physicality they are going to exert their efforts for change the only way they are able to at the moment. I think they are going to play goon ball. I think we are going to see 2 or 3 flagrants against Celtics that are attacking the rim. As far as who, I'm am guessing the Celtics should be aware of Odom, Turiaf, Fisher and Farmar. I just think those are the types of guys who think they may have something to prove and would actually try to prove it.

I hope nobody gets hurt. Actually, I hope it doesn't happen.

Re: Prediction for the next couple of games
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:12:19 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The last time these two played in L.A,, Odom got a little out of control in much the way you're referring to. But really, besides Turiaf, they don't have much in the way of an "enforcer" type.  Hell they could use a Scalabrine type at this point. 

I'm really curious to see if they try to go with a run and gun offense like they did in the 4th.  Go small, and try to sucker Doc into doing the same.

It's going to take a great effort for the C's to win tomorrow.  I'm guessing a split of the next too, would do fine.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:13:53 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
My instinct is to say that the Cs will manage to win 2 out of the next 3.

But I can't trust my instinct. I told myself before the series, "No matter how good it looks after 2 games, don't make the mistake of thinking that this series is over." That's what I thought vs. Atlanta, and then again vs. Cleveland. And I'm not getting fooled again. I'm sticking with my original prediction (which has held true so far) that the Cs will take 3 home games and 1 road game in order to snag this series in 6. As for which road game, I'll say the middle one.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 10:23:35 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I've been right so far, and my original prediction was C's win the first two, lose the third, then win either the 4th or 5th following it up with clinching it in the Garden game 6. 

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:25:26 PM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
No doubt the Lakers have been hearing non-stop about how they aren't physical enough, they can't rebound, defend and attack the basket. They will have heard this from the coaches, the media and everyone they come in contact with over the next couple of days.

I think they will do their best to fix it. I think they drive to the hoop more, go up stronger and get some calls.

What I'm afraid of is the fact that they can't change who they are defensively. They are going to give it the old college try, but on that end of the floor you need to time (and probably some new personnel) to change your DNA to fix those problems. So what I am afraid of is this - in a misguided attempt to improve their defense and physicality they are going to exert their efforts for change the only way they are able to at the moment. I think they are going to play goon ball. I think we are going to see 2 or 3 flagrants against Celtics that are attacking the rim. As far as who, I'm am guessing the Celtics should be aware of Odom, Turiaf, Fisher and Farmar. I just think those are the types of guys who think they may have something to prove and would actually try to prove it.

I'm with you.  I think you're right on the money.  Those guys aren't physical by nature, and in their attempt to do so, they might result to "thuggery".  Let's hope the refs will keep a close eye for such things.  But yeah, I share your worry.  I just hope no one gets hurt.

As far as more prediction, here goes.  I picked the Lakers to win it all prior to the start of the series.  But right now, I believe the Celts have the upper hand.  This is not the same Boston team that struggled against Atlanta, Cleveland, and Detroit.  Ray is hitting his shots and playing great defense.  Paul has elevated his game, offensively and defensively, to a higher level.  Our bench is producing.  And this time, Rondo and the back up PGs are not overmatched.  

I believe it would not take seven games if we were to play Atlanta now.  The same goes for Cleveland.  Our number 3 guy was basically MIA in those games.  Our offense has picked up.  This is a better Boston team than it was just weeks ago.  

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:37:14 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
The Celts will need to play their best game of the year tomorrow night to win.  I'm gonna say they take Game 4 and then come back to the Garden to clinch it in 6.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 11:21:01 PM »

Offline Frontierboy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I say the C's win game 3, then lose game 4, then win game 5

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 11:40:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
My guess will be Game 3 will be a close loss and a win in Game 4 and Game 5???

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »

Offline DutchHoops

• Xavier Tillman
If KG returns with his shot and is made to play low like he should, why not a sweep, but taking the first one would be soooo interesting. A black mamba hates to be in a tight spot  8)

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 12:25:51 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I think we loose a close one in game 3, come back and win game 4, then from there I'm not sure what will happen but if we don't win in 5 we are closing it out in game 6 at the Garden.   ;D

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 12:44:12 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Cs lose a close game 3, partly determined by foul call disparity.  C's win game 4. 

I agree there is some worry about thuggery, and agree Odom could be the one.  It would have been Kwame if he was still around.  I disagree that it would be Fisher, I think he is too professional for that type of stuff. 

On the other hand, if the refs get too ticky tacky with fouls on the Cs, then I think the Cs need to play really physical.  Not cheap stuff, but if they are going to get called for it, then they may as well make the most of it -- ie: make sure that there are no "basket counts and ones", instead, force the Lakers to make two shots at the line.  This will also help slow the pace of the game down, which should play into the Cs favor.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 12:49:11 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672
KG is the key.  His stat line is impressive, but he's something like 41 points on 16 for 41 shooting - just less than 40%.  His shot isn't falling consistently right now.  If he comes with his shot in LA, this series closes out in 4 or 5.  With Paul, Ray and Rondo all playing well right now, if KG kicks into gear then I don't think the Lakers can stop them.

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 01:01:34 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78

I'm with you.  I think you're right on the money.  Those guys aren't physical by nature, and in their attempt to do so, they might result to "thuggery".  Let's hope the refs will keep a close eye for such things.  But yeah, I share your worry.  I just hope no one gets hurt.

As far as more prediction, here goes.  I picked the Lakers to win it all prior to the start of the series.  But right now, I believe the Celts have the upper hand.  This is not the same Boston team that struggled against Atlanta, Cleveland, and Detroit.  Ray is hitting his shots and playing great defense.  Paul has elevated his game, offensively and defensively, to a higher level.  Our bench is producing.  And this time, Rondo and the back up PGs are not overmatched. 

I believe it would not take seven games if we were to play Atlanta now.  The same goes for Cleveland.  Our number 3 guy was basically MIA in those games.  Our offense has picked up.  This is a better Boston team than it was just weeks ago. 

I agree with you about the C's playing better now, but I think you are underrating the difference between the Lakers and teams we played in the East as well.  You say this is not the same Boston team that struggled against Atlanta, Cleveland and Detroit (not sure I would call 2 road wins and a 6 game victory against a team the C's were considered the underdog against "struggling" however), I would say the Lakers are not those teams either.  Point being, especially Cleveland and Detroit, were smothering defensive teams that made the C's struggle in finding their offense, that held back the 3rd guy as much as the C's not being in synch. 

The Lakers are a breath of fresh air for all the Celtics on the offensive end.  Pierce can get anywhere he wants, Ray can move freely, everything is easier on offense.  Have they made some adjustments and improved their own play as the playoffs have progressed?  Certainly, but more is made of that than the fact that the Lakers are not the Cavs or Detroit defensively as a main reason why the C's offense is functioning so much better now.

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 01:28:30 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I really want to believe that the Celtics will win game 3 in LA despite adversity, but in reality, I would say they lose by 10 to 15 points tomorrow due to not just reffing, but also different adjustments.

Then, I predict they win Game 4 in a close game, and Game 5 maybe 50/50, probably a Celtics loss in another close game, and then they win by 10-15 in boston in game 6.

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 02:32:32 AM »

Offline Last Train

• Payton Pritchard
Cs lose a close game 3, partly determined by foul call disparity.  C's win game 4. 

I agree there is some worry about thuggery, and agree Odom could be the one.  It would have been Kwame if he was still around.  I disagree that it would be Fisher, I think he is too professional for that type of stuff.  

On the other hand, if the refs get too ticky tacky with fouls on the Cs, then I think the Cs need to play really physical.  Not cheap stuff, but if they are going to get called for it, then they may as well make the most of it -- ie: make sure that there are no "basket counts and ones", instead, force the Lakers to make two shots at the line.  This will also help slow the pace of the game down, which should play into the Cs favor.

Yeah, I'm not saying he is a bad guy or anything, but he seems to be getting more and more upset with every foul, and I can see him deciding to get his money's worth on a play. Plus, he probably figures he could get away with it because he has such a good rep. I don't know, just a hunch.