Author Topic: Anyone Else Concerned....By Doc comments?  (Read 10043 times)

Re: Anyone Else Concerned....By Doc comments?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 11:17:38 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
kgs game is built more for the pick and pop

i dunno but i see perk with the intent of establishing a low post game, he kinda has a success but boneheaded fouls is was costing him to get off the court

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 11:20:05 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
kgs game is built more for the pick and pop

i dunno but i see perk with the intent of establishing a low post game, he kinda has a success but boneheaded fouls is was costing him to get off the court
I agree with you here...tp for your comments. ;D

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 11:20:24 AM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
When this team's starting 5 in on the floor, Perkins is the team's low post game, such as it is.  It was pretty clear that he was struggling on that leg last night, so it's no surprise that the post game had to come from a bench player.  This is how this team plays basketball.  Garnett, for all his skills, is not a great low post player who can pound the blocks all game long.  He's too light in the seat to do that.  He can go down low some of the time, but he can't make a living there.

I'm not a Rivers fan, but I think he was right about what he was seeing early on last night.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 11:20:59 AM »

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
Whether you want to admit it or not.  LEON "THE SHOW" POWE is our best post player!!   If Doc says he put him in the game for that reason, and that's what happen why question it!!

Celtics fans are the worse!! We win game 2 of the Finals, and you guys are still complaining and taking shots at DOC!!  

We supposedly had the worse team of the two, the worse bench, and this was the biggest coaching disparity EVER... it's a joke!!

We have a decent coach, the best team in the league.

We had the worst record in the league last year!!

Re: Anyone Else Concern....By Doc comments?
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am concern they don't have better ways to get KG established in the low post when the lakers apply extra pressure.

This is something I really hope they work on.  The Lakers haven't done much defensively, but the one thing they have done is put a lot of pressure on KG when he is in the post, and made it tough to get the ball to him, and then sent quick doubles. 

The C's really need to do a better job of recognizing this, and finding ways around it.

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 11:46:54 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
KG has got to be more aggressive .... absolutely. He was extremely tentative last night and reluctant to shoot or attack the hoop, and that hurts us. However, please don't tell me he can't play the low post successfully ... he's done it for most of his career, and it's a big part of why he has the reputation he does.

He's not playing the post game as much as I'd like, but he has no trouble doing it when he decides to. Keep in mind, a huge part of our offense right now is keeping the Lakers from getting rebounds, and getting more offensive rebounds ourself. That means KG not letting Gasol near the boards, which requires him to play farther out from the hoop on a regular basis.

When something seems to be counter to a players abilities, you need to first ask if there's a good reason for it, and there is. Doc wants Perk and PJ to be the low-post presence, and wants KG to be more of a facilitator in the mid-range area, and keep the Laker rebounders off the boards by taking that sweet jumper of his ... he just struggled with it going down last night, and that's going to happen from time-to-time. So yes, almost everything that Doc says concerns me, but not in the way suggested here. 
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 11:52:19 AM »

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
The only thing I can laugh at is several times during the year Doc rivers has said he's had to remind Powe that he "Is not an offensive player" 

that's a joke for a guy who averaged a high double double in college and has shown he can score in bunches in limited minutes!!

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 11:53:23 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I'm not concerned.  It's not like we're talking about Dwight Howard or Amare Stoudemire here - guys that are still relatively young and might not respond well to criticism, no matter how indirect.  KG is as veteran as veterans get in the league right not.  I guarantee he and Doc have had a long conversation and are already on the same page.

Do I want KG in the post more?  When he's missing that many jumpers, yes.  But let's not forget, we're talking about a guy that very well may have the best midrange jumper in the world right now.  And that is not an exaggeration.  Ideally, the midrange and postgame will work together, but if he gets an open look from 15 feet, I'm not going to complain too much that he takes it.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Anyone Else Concern....By Doc comments?
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 12:51:59 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I do not believe that in any way Leon was placed in the game as a low post presence.  Doc typically says those kinds of things after the games as though there was some divine plan. 

He does tend to be full of himself in that way.

Yet Powe himself said that Doc called a couple of plays for him in the post... hmm, who's full himself?

The only thing I can laugh at is several times during the year Doc rivers has said he's had to remind Powe that he "Is not an offensive player" 

that's a joke for a guy who averaged a high double double in college and has shown he can score in bunches in limited minutes!!

Has he actually said that? Because Doc certainly doesn't doesn't consider him a defensive player. From what I can recall, all he has said is that he shouldn't be looking for his offense and that he should focus on his rebounding, etc. That if he does that, the offense will come through it. In a team like this, his number will be rarely called, so he's quite accurate in saying that... only if I remember that correctly.

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 01:10:39 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
He's not playing the post game as much as I'd like, but he has no trouble doing it when he decides to. Keep in mind, a huge part of our offense right now is keeping the Lakers from getting rebounds, and getting more offensive rebounds ourself. That means KG not letting Gasol near the boards, which requires him to play farther out from the hoop on a regular basis. When something seems to be counter to a players abilities, you need to first ask if there's a good reason for it, and there is. Doc wants Perk and PJ to be the low-post presence, and wants KG to be more of a facilitator in the mid-range area, and keep the Laker rebounders off the boards by taking that sweet jumper of his ... he just struggled with it going down last night, and that's going to happen from time-to-time. So yes, almost everything that Doc says concerns me, but not in the way suggested here. 
Interesting point, I hadn't thought of that. My main concern right now is to find a way to get Perkins a little more involved. If he can calm down and stay out of foul trouble and get into a little offensive rythm with KG, then I think the Lakers are toast. The other concern is that the Cs take the Game 2 4th quarter comeback to learn something not just about closing out quarters or games, but to learn something about closing out series.  Now that the Cs are up 2-0, Doc needs to be extra vigilant to make sure the players still give 100% each game, otherwise a couple quick wins and the Lakers are right back in this thing.....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 03:23:47 AM »

Offline tanner

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 33
I like that Doc pointed it out.  With Pierce hurt (and the extent/nature of his injury not known) KG's mindset should have been to come out more aggressive and attack the interior more.  Instead he was content to roam around the perimeter and take 15-20 feet jumpers, almost opposite to what he did in Game 1.  I don't mind him taking jumpers. I mind when he takes them almost exclusively, especially when he's not knocking them down consistently.

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 05:19:05 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59

TP to jhog.
Very well stated summary of exactly what I was going to write.
We should just accept that KG is a great jump shooter, rebounder, defender, leader, etc. He's not Shaq bulling his way to the basket.
It's not a problem!

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 07:18:48 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

TP to jhog.
Very well stated summary of exactly what I was going to write.
We should just accept that KG is a great jump shooter, rebounder, defender, leader, etc. He's not Shaq bulling his way to the basket.
It's not a problem!

The comment was about mixing it up more, and as Doc said it's not about him scoring or shooting the ball from the post, it's about making plays from the post and the team's result when doing so.  So Kevin can be the jump shooting machine all he wants, but we need to establish him down low regardless, just to make our team move better and function better.

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 07:38:48 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
KG has got to be more aggressive .... absolutely. He was extremely tentative last night and reluctant to shoot or attack the hoop, and that hurts us. However, please don't tell me he can't play the low post successfully ... he's done it for most of his career, and it's a big part of why he has the reputation he does.

He's not playing the post game as much as I'd like, but he has no trouble doing it when he decides to. Keep in mind, a huge part of our offense right now is keeping the Lakers from getting rebounds, and getting more offensive rebounds ourself. That means KG not letting Gasol near the boards, which requires him to play farther out from the hoop on a regular basis.

When something seems to be counter to a players abilities, you need to first ask if there's a good reason for it, and there is. Doc wants Perk and PJ to be the low-post presence, and wants KG to be more of a facilitator in the mid-range area, and keep the Laker rebounders off the boards by taking that sweet jumper of his ... he just struggled with it going down last night, and that's going to happen from time-to-time. So yes, almost everything that Doc says concerns me, but not in the way suggested here. 

TP for some good points.

The concern - and the absolute need for a solid low post game - is the Lakers' absolute lack of inside defense. We MUST take advantage of the softness of Gasol and Odom with a clear offensive advantage on the block.

With that said, when Garnett's outside game is off - and it's been off in both games - he needs to get down on the block and go to work on that weak defense. He's versatile enough to play both there and outside, and he needs to lose the tentative play if we're going to get this thing done in LA.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 07:53:54 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

TP for some good points.

The concern - and the absolute need for a solid low post game - is the Lakers' absolute lack of inside defense. We MUST take advantage of the softness of Gasol and Odom with a clear offensive advantage on the block.

With that said, when Garnett's outside game is off - and it's been off in both games - he needs to get down on the block and go to work on that weak defense. He's versatile enough to play both there and outside, and he needs to lose the tentative play if we're going to get this thing done in LA.

TP back atcha ... and I agree, though I'm not terribly concerned ... I think KG will be his dominating self tonight.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *