Author Topic: Mythbusters  (Read 2689 times)

Mythbusters
« on: June 09, 2008, 09:49:32 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Before this series started, most pundits chose the Lakers over the Celtics based on a variety of myths regarding their advantages, each of which has been dispelled following the first two games:

1. First Myth-- The Laker bench is much better than the Celtic bench.

I was puzzled by this, but figured it was attributed to Doc's decision to shorten the rotation in the earlier play-off rounds, and not use the bench as much. However, over the course of the 82 game season, any Celtic fan would tell you it was ridiculous to say the Laker bench was better than ours.  After watching the first two games, I am frankly surprised the Laker bench had been given so much cred.  I think it is a pretty average bench. It lacks any go to guy, and is quite small in size and strength.

2. Second Myth--The point guard play is even. 

I know Rondo was a little inconsistent in prior rounds, but I think I speak for most Celtic fans who figured Rondo would get off against the Lakers. They have no one who can stop him in the half court penetration. Does anyone doubt that Leon Powe's great game last night was in no small part aided by Rondo's ease of penetration? The Lakers really lack a point guard.  Fisher does not penetrate that well, and Rondo has done a very good job of defending his jumper for the most part. I figured we would have an edge here, and so far the edge is bigger than even I imagined.

3. Third Myth--The Lakers' Defense is really good. 

Sorry, Laker fans, but we have played two teams in the play-offs whose defense was much more physical and intense than yours.  I thought the Lakers would struggle defensively, but I am rather shocked with how bad it is thus far.  I felt that for most of the game, we could penetrate at will agaisnt them. Frankly, if we kept attacking the basket, we would have won by 20. I don't think the Lakers made any great defensive adjustment in the 4th quarter.

4.  Fourth Myth--The Lakers are the best passing team in basketball.

I bit my lip hard when I heard this stated repeatedly by the brilliant minds at ESPN.  I, like most other Celtic fans, took great pride in our team play all year.  Look, the Lakers are a great passing team against an ordinary defense, as are we.  Against a great defensive team, the Lakers are proving to be an average passing team.

5. Fifth Myth--Kobe is the best player by far in this series.

Look, I still think Kobe is a great player. I even think he is the best player on the court in this series. But come on, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen ain't exactly chopped liver.  Frankly, most would agree that thusfar Pierce alone has outplayed Bryant. I doubt that will continue for the entire series, but I also feel pretty good that Ray or Kevin (or Leon!!) will step right in and pick up the slack. I'll take the 3 headed monster over the one headed monster every time.

6.  Lakers have a big edge in coaching. 

Well, so far that does not seem to be the case. At this stage, the players play the game. All the sets have been memorized, and execution and motivation wins championships. While doc may not win awards for x's and 0's, has anyone ever doubted his ability to motivate his team? I personally get inspired listening to his miked up speeches, whether it is a half time with a good lead, or following an injury to his star. Doc seems to say the right thing every time, and as a former athlete, I think that quality in a coach is very valuable. Look, Phil Jackson obviously is a great coach, but I think giving any meaningful edge to the Lakers due to the coaching matchup was completely overblown.

Re: Mythbusters
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:53:26 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Very good post.  A good way to break down why to this point the "experts" have been wrong with this series.  The only one I don't agree with is Kobe.  He is the best player in the world right now and is the best player on the planet.  We have a team of great players, who to this point have been able  to overpower him.  Kobe will be heard from loud and clear in LA, we're going to need to take a 40+ point performance from him and try to pull out a win like we did with LeBron in Game 7. 

Here's hoping we continue to prove everyone wrong and finish this thing out.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:54:37 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The biggest myth.

The lakers offense was to much for the Celtics defense.

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 10:07:24 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Before this series started, most pundits chose the Lakers over the Celtics based on a variety of myths regarding their advantages, each of which has been dispelled following the first two games:

1. First Myth-- The Laker bench is much better than the Celtic bench.

I was puzzled by this, but figured it was attributed to Doc's decision to shorten the rotation in the earlier play-off rounds, and not use the bench as much. However, over the course of the 82 game season, any Celtic fan would tell you it was ridiculous to say the Laker bench was better than ours.  After watching the first two games, I am frankly surprised the Laker bench had been given so much cred.  I think it is a pretty average bench. It lacks any go to guy, and is quite small in size and strength.

2. Second Myth--The point guard play is even. 

I know Rondo was a little inconsistent in prior rounds, but I think I speak for most Celtic fans who figured Rondo would get off against the Lakers. They have no one who can stop him in the half court penetration. Does anyone doubt that Leon Powe's great game last night was in no small part aided by Rondo's ease of penetration? The Lakers really lack a point guard.  Fisher does not penetrate that well, and Rondo has done a very good job of defending his jumper for the most part. I figured we would have an edge here, and so far the edge is bigger than even I imagined.

3. Third Myth--The Lakers' Defense is really good. 

Sorry, Laker fans, but we have played two teams in the play-offs whose defense was much more physical and intense than yours.  I thought the Lakers would struggle defensively, but I am rather shocked with how bad it is thus far.  I felt that for most of the game, we could penetrate at will agaisnt them. Frankly, if we kept attacking the basket, we would have won by 20. I don't think the Lakers made any great defensive adjustment in the 4th quarter.

4.  Fourth Myth--The Lakers are the best passing team in basketball.

I bit my lip hard when I heard this stated repeatedly by the brilliant minds at ESPN.  I, like most other Celtic fans, took great pride in our team play all year.  Look, the Lakers are a great passing team against an ordinary defense, as are we.  Against a great defensive team, the Lakers are proving to be an average passing team.

5. Fifth Myth--Kobe is the best player by far in this series.

Look, I still think Kobe is a great player. I even think he is the best player on the court in this series. But come on, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen ain't exactly chopped liver.  Frankly, most would agree that thusfar Pierce alone has outplayed Bryant. I doubt that will continue for the entire series, but I also feel pretty good that Ray or Kevin (or Leon!!) will step right in and pick up the slack. I'll take the 3 headed monster over the one headed monster every time.

6.  Lakers have a big edge in coaching. 

Well, so far that does not seem to be the case. At this stage, the players play the game. All the sets have been memorized, and execution and motivation wins championships. While doc may not win awards for x's and 0's, has anyone ever doubted his ability to motivate his team? I personally get inspired listening to his miked up speeches, whether it is a half time with a good lead, or following an injury to his star. Doc seems to say the right thing every time, and as a former athlete, I think that quality in a coach is very valuable. Look, Phil Jackson obviously is a great coach, but I think giving any meaningful edge to the Lakers due to the coaching matchup was completely overblown.

TP. nice post.

Lakers' backs are against the wall, so i expect a huge effort from them in game 3, but at this point, i think we have played better than i think they thought were capable of playing.

game 3 is going to be HUGE.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:22:08 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
i have to say, i can't just concede that kobe is the best in the world. it's not a given. both chris paul and lebron were significantly better than him this year; i think if you put either one on that lakers team they'd be even better.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 01:44:29 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I just remembered another myth. 

After the Gasol trade.

'Kobe has matured into a leader.'

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 01:51:54 PM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108
I just remembered another myth. 

After the Gasol trade.

'Kobe has matured into a leader.'

Probably the biggest myth of all.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 01:55:47 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
i have to say, i can't just concede that kobe is the best in the world. it's not a given. both chris paul and lebron were significantly better than him this year; i think if you put either one on that lakers team they'd be even better.

severaly doubt it.

CP3= Up grade to fisher, but now they lack a dynamite athletic big man ( gasol is nice, but chandler is the perfect fit for CP3, he throws down a mean alley oop and plays defense, unlike gasol) Also, keeping with gasol, they'd be even worse defesivly, because CP3 tends to gamble and miss steals, which is fine when west and chandler are behind him, they'll step up and stop the penetration. gasol and odom? not so much.

Lebron= Certainly better than the cavs, but again, several things lebron is not as good as kobe on.

1) shooting. one of the reasons that teams have to space the lakers so evenly is that kobe is a deadly shooter. lebron is a above average shooter who is improving, but right now, kobe is 5x the shooter he is.

Defense. Kobe can, when willing, play lock down defense. Lebron plays good defense, not great defense.

Passing. Kobe is a far better interior passer, which fits gasol. lebron can throw those bullet passes to the premiter though, so this may be a wash.

Kobe is the best player in the association at the moment. Lebron may tak the title in a few years (if he learns how to shoot the mid range and 3 cosistantly, right now he's far to streaky.) but for now, kobe is the best pure player in the league.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 02:00:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
this could all change in 3 games though.    If we're down 3-2 heading back to Boston... the "experts" will look pretty good.

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 02:22:21 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
this could all change in 3 games though.    If we're down 3-2 heading back to Boston... the "experts" will look pretty good.

If we get swept out there then this team still wins. No way LA beats us at home
Still don't believe in Joe.