Author Topic: Has Jaylen Brown Regressed this year  (Read 1923 times)

Has Jaylen Brown Regressed this year
« on: January 17, 2019, 01:12:35 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

The answer in No. Jaylen is obviously a big part of this team already at 21 years young, and his development or lack of could bethe difference between winning a title and not winninging a title in the next few years.

I also want to point out that what happened last year was very rare in NBA history Gordon Hayward gone immediately for the season, and then Kyrie Irving goes at the end of the season ,allowed these two,  top three picks to flourish way ahead of schedule.

Upon further investigation of the numbers besides Jaylen Brown's cold 3-point shooting he's the exact same player as last year except he's playing about 5 less minutes per game, so naturally his numbers are down slightly but I'm going to post his / 36 numbers and they're almost identical.

If Morris is going next year it's going to be Jaylen verse Hayward for the number 3 scoring option. I really hope that Jaylen can take that third leading scorer on our team next year given his age and athleticism.

Jaylen Brown per 36 stats

Last year

17 PPG 5.8 RPG 1.9 spg .4 bpg

This year

16.8 PPG 5.7 RPG 2spg .8 bpg

Three-point shooting is down but two point field goal percentage and free throw percentage are slightly up from last year. So the same production / 36 and a lot less touches when Morris leaves next to your Jaylen is going to be just fine.really would like to see him get at least 30 minutes per game though.

Re: Has Jaylen Brown Regressed this year
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 01:40:21 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642
I actually think he’s improved a bit, though it is masked by that horrific slump at the start of the season.  He has a decisiveness off the catch that I really wish would rub off on Tatum, and he’s less of a black hole on offense than he used to be.  Court vision still isn’t a strength for him, but there are nonetheless times where he makes the correct pass when he would have just forced something last year.

Still need him to work out his struggles at the line though.  He’s an adequate-or-better shooter from everywhere else on the court (once his 3P% normalizes).  No reason for him to shoot so poorly from the stripe.  And he needs to be more consistent.  But overall, I’ve been warily encouraged by Brown this year. 

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 01:45:53 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I actually think he’s improved a bit, though it is masked by that horrific slump at the start of the season.  He has a decisiveness off the catch that I really wish would rub off on Tatum, and he’s less of a black hole on offense than he used to be.  Court vision still isn’t a strength for him, but there are nonetheless times where he makes the correct pass when he would have just forced something last year.

Still need him to work out his struggles at the line though.  He’s an adequate-or-better shooter from everywhere else on the court (once his 3P% normalizes).  No reason for him to shoot so poorly from the stripe.  And he needs to be more consistent.  But overall, I’ve been warily encouraged by Brown this year.

TP. And agreed. Once his three-point percentage comes back 2:35 or so he's going to be just fine.

Aside from shooting almost .400% from 3 last year to .300% this year. He's actually shooting better at the line and from the field better this year than last

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 02:27:09 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I was hard on him to begin the season, but I truly think his injuries that he kinda kept to himself really hampered him, especially shooting the ball.

If he could just become an average FT shooter (75% or so) he would be so much more dangerous
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 05:34:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Nah not really. He's been better in terms of awareness imo, it's just that his injuries are hampering him like Gouki said.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 05:56:18 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He hasn’t really progressed but I don’t think he’s really got worse.  Just isn’t overachieving from three anymore.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 09:57:22 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
He hasn’t really progressed but I don’t think he’s really got worse.  Just isn’t overachieving from three anymore.
Well he did have a hand injury for that slump, so I'd say he's still around a 40% three point shooter until his hand gets healthy lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 10:05:05 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I think he is shaping in to form but needs more PT.  I would like him back in the starting unit with Smart or Morris going to the bench.  He's, along with Hayward are looking a lot better.  Hopefully by April this team is where they should be and are unstoppable.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 10:34:55 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
I was hard on him to begin the season, but I truly think his injuries that he kinda kept to himself really hampered him, especially shooting the ball.

If he could just become an average FT shooter (75% or so) he would be so much more dangerous

I agree with others that he isnt really worse but not really better. And agree with gouki that his shooting could improve especially FTs.....some of his misses are Shaq-esque

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 10:41:14 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
In general I believe it much hard to be consistent when you are coming of the bench. maybe it because u don't have enough time to get in the game. maybe because you are entering the game when the score is not even.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 11:05:34 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I admit to being hard on Jaylen. I see other young players around the league that have exceeded expectations in their first or second year, while Jaylen has played in over 200 games including playoffs and at times still looks lost. I've grown in frustration with his inconsistent play like many.   

I will say this in his defense, it must be difficult to grow your game when the minute you "get it going" you're pulled off the floor to allow another player to get his minutes. I've seen it time and time again, he gets into a good rhythm and he's removed from the game. I wish CBS would allow him to ride out his minutes of success to grow his confidence.

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 11:16:17 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
We all don't know how much the hand issue has affected his shot, so I'm willing to give him some benefit of the doubt there.

One of the reasons I was so high on his value was that the things he struggles with are fairly fixable. There are some obvious areas he could easily improve:

Learn some basic post-up footwork. His footwork is awful, but he is huge and fast for a 2-guard and should be able to punish defenders down there.

Develop one or two reliable go to 10 foot shots when there is more than one defender ahead at the rim. USE THE BACKBOARD!

Develop a disciplined routine at the foul line

He doesn't appear to to have made any progress at all on any of these. If he could become an average NBA player at these three things he'd average at least 5+ more PPG

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 11:37:53 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
As you point out, it's more that he doesn't really seem to be progressing in a significant way in any area.

To really thrive in his current role he would need to become more of an instigator / playmaker on defense like Smart, or he would need to add a lot of ballhandling and playmaking to his skillset to fill a role more like what Hayward is doing.

Or I suppose he could go the way of Morris and really work on his 1-on-1 scoring.

Problem is, Jaylen still isn't very good at finishing inside, creating space for his own shot, navigating traffic with the ball, or finding open guys.

So I keep seeing him as maybe a taller, more athletic Jae Crowder.  But to become that he would need to improve big time in the one area that really set Crowder apart --- super quick decision making when he gets the ball.

Crowder would catch a pass on the perimeter and then either shoot or immediately burst to the hole. 

Jaylen never makes quick decisions on the floor, he always looks like he's thinking in real time.

Sometimes being cerebral is a bad thing.  Point guards can be cerebral because they can dribble around and probe the defense, looking for openings. 

Wing players with poor handles can't afford to be cerebral.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 11:58:25 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
As you point out, it's more that he doesn't really seem to be progressing in a significant way in any area.

To really thrive in his current role he would need to become more of an instigator / playmaker on defense like Smart, or he would need to add a lot of ballhandling and playmaking to his skillset to fill a role more like what Hayward is doing.

Or I suppose he could go the way of Morris and really work on his 1-on-1 scoring.

Problem is, Jaylen still isn't very good at finishing inside, creating space for his own shot, navigating traffic with the ball, or finding open guys.

So I keep seeing him as maybe a taller, more athletic Jae Crowder.  But to become that he would need to improve big time in the one area that really set Crowder apart --- super quick decision making when he gets the ball.

Crowder would catch a pass on the perimeter and then either shoot or immediately burst to the hole. 

Jaylen never makes quick decisions on the floor, he always looks like he's thinking in real time.

Sometimes being cerebral is a bad thing.  Point guards can be cerebral because they can dribble around and probe the defense, looking for openings. 

Wing players with poor handles can't afford to be cerebral.

The thing is part of whether you think he has improved depends on how you view the start to the season. As the OP pointed out he is actually shooting slightly better in many area of the floor, including at the rim in which he was at 63% (before last night, may have changed).  He was better form 3-10 and 10-16 as well. His per 36 numbers are all pretty much the same as last year. But given how badly he started out that's actually fairly impressive. He was shooting like 47% at the rime through the first month, 25% form three, and wasn't rebounding  either. The last two months those numbers have all risen back not to last years number, but last playoffs numbers on a per 36 basis. And those were excellent numbers. The numbers are just low because he started out horribly. So if the last two months Jaylen is closer to what he is than the first months Jaylen, and I think that's not impossible due to the injuries he had and adjusting to role, then he has improved as leats in some area.

Now first of all, I believe he is better at creating shots for himself than most here believe. He is probably the best driver on our team, and that is a type of (generally good)  shot. He has always had a decent post game and he now has a nice fade away he uses when he gets into the lane and can't get to the rim. I think even his decision making has improved, he sees a lot more kick outs then last year, and has learned to dump it off to the big inside. He certainly loses his dribble A LOT LESS on the drive than he did as a rookie or even early last year.

The main problem is he just doesn't get the opportunities for proper evaluation on this team. I can't know how good a ball handler he is really is because he never gets to run a pick and roll, like at all . If you told me he got more than 1 a game I would be shocked. I can't know how good a playmaker he is because most of the time when he touches the ball its a one on one situation where he ran out of the corner to get the ball, everybody else on the team is stagnant, and Jaylen tries to beat his man or give it back to the point guard. He has long 4-5 stretches where he sits in the corner. And I don't blame Brad for this really, he has better options (or at least safer, coaches always prefer to go with the guys they KNOW can do something, rather than guys who could. Same reason Tatum doesn't run PnR even tho he has some talent for it). But the general idea is to know what he is we have to see him get some opportunity, and for him to improve as a passer he has to get some game reps at it and be allowed to make a mistakes. Maybe that never happens in Boston I don't know, but its hard for me to say he can't do something when he ever gets a real opportunity. But just form flashes, I think some things have improved.

In short, put Jaylen in the PnR or PnP  and lets see what he can do.

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 12:02:13 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
His numbers weren't very good yesterday but I thought he played a terrific game. He was attacking the rim early and was a big part of the C's closing the gap when the bench came in. He also played terrific defense all night and had some big plays.

Right now, this team needs him to player superior defense, hit open 3's, and attack the rim whenever possible. Last night, I thought he was excellent in his role.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008