Author Topic: Raptors (33-12) at Celtics (25-18) Game #44 1/16/19  (Read 36887 times)

Re: Raptors (33-12) at Celtics (25-18) Game #44 1/16/19
« Reply #600 on: January 17, 2019, 02:25:11 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1351
Jordan Mickey once got 18 assists. I think it was when he was in middle school  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #601 on: January 17, 2019, 05:07:38 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Small thing but I gotta say - Marcus went 1-2 from three last night. He’s up to 35.4%. A historically bad three point shooter is currently league average on four attempts/game and trending up.

« Reply #602 on: January 17, 2019, 05:26:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Small thing but I gotta say - Marcus went 1-2 from three last night. He’s up to 35.4%. A historically bad three point shooter is currently league average on four attempts/game and trending up.
He's having his best year to date, no doubt. His 2P% is up about 5% higher than his career average, and his 3P% is up about 5% on his career average too. Plus, his steal numbers are at a career high while his minutes are at a career low! Awesome stuff
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #603 on: January 17, 2019, 05:32:43 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
He's having his best year to date, no doubt. His 2P% is up about 5% higher than his career average, and his 3P% is up about 5% on his career average too. Plus, his steal numbers are at a career high while his minutes are at a career low! Awesome stuff
Dropping his usage from 19,4% to 13,7% is perhaps the most telling stat.
Just about always, efficiency goes up when the usage goes down.
To give some perspective, Dennis Rodman has a career usage rate at 11,4% which really isn't that far off from Marcus.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #604 on: January 17, 2019, 05:33:08 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Liking what I've seen from Smart, the three he hit was a difficult one too! He might become a star if he keeps up this unlikely growth lol, but I'm very happy if he maintains this level of play.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #605 on: January 17, 2019, 07:12:20 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

What's even more awesome is he is doing this the year AFTER signing a huge contract.

« Reply #606 on: January 17, 2019, 07:28:56 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
What a huge difference having hayward and horford not sucking makes to this team.

Hopefully hayward can get his non sucking average up to 50% of the games and horf up to 90% of them.

And got thinking about Kyrie. Imo he should continue to be more like Steve Nash.

No one can stop him on the dribble and he could easily average 12 assists per game yet still score 30 if needed.  Just think about it.

« Reply #607 on: January 17, 2019, 07:40:02 AM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37

What's even more awesome is he is doing this the year AFTER signing a huge contract.

^ this

Speaks to the character of this Celtics Legend to do this after securing his future.

Despite having Kyrie (top 5 player in the nba), Horford (veteran leader), Hayward (marquee free agent, top earner), Tatum (future face of the franchise) Marcus Smart remains THE Celtics CAPTAIN in my book!!

« Reply #608 on: January 17, 2019, 08:19:17 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
What a huge difference having hayward and horford not sucking makes to this team.

Hopefully hayward can get his non sucking average up to 50% of the games and horf up to 90% of them.

And got thinking about Kyrie. Imo he should continue to be more like Steve Nash.

No one can stop him on the dribble and he could easily average 12 assists per game yet still score 30 if needed.  Just think about it.

Oh boy here we go again. Didn't you the last few pages as to why averaging that many assist is very hard to do? Or are you secretly triboy?

« Reply #609 on: January 17, 2019, 08:22:04 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo

^ this

Speaks to the character of this Celtics Legend to do this after securing his future.

Despite having Kyrie (top 5 player in the nba), Horford (veteran leader), Hayward (marquee free agent, top earner), Tatum (future face of the franchise) Marcus Smart remains THE Celtics CAPTAIN in my book!!

M.Smart ia the opposite of M.Blount!

« Reply #610 on: January 17, 2019, 08:24:45 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Oh boy here we go again. Didn't you the last few pages as to why averaging that many assist is very hard to do? Or are you secretly triboy?
I don't think it is due to that.
I think that it is just a plain better option for him/team that he shoots it more often.
Like Curry, I fear him the most when he shoots it, not when he is passing the majority of the time.
12% TO rate suggests that he makes a good decision with the ball regarding the shoot/pass ratio.
Rondo couldn't get to the line and shoot, therefore it was much lucrative for him to pass it.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #611 on: January 17, 2019, 10:02:22 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I don't think it is due to that.
I think that it is just a plain better option for him/team that he shoots it more often.
Like Curry, I fear him the most when he shoots it, not when he is passing the majority of the time.
12% TO rate suggests that he makes a good decision with the ball regarding the shoot/pass ratio.
Rondo couldn't get to the line and shoot, therefore it was much lucrative for him to pass it.
I agree.  Kyrie needs to be looking to score and then pass off of that when necessary.  He was aggressive, active and attacking last night which is why we won. 

However Kyrie doesn't get to the line much.  He never really has and this season he's averaging a career low 3.4 FTAs.  We need him and others to be getting inside and drawing fouls much more rather than settling for 3pt shots. 

« Reply #612 on: January 17, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Seriously, if you ever said we don't need Kyrie, you should be kicked off this forum.

In clutch time in four straight possessions, this man has gone 2-2 for 5 huge points with two other assists to Horford to seal the game.

I didn't catch the game, but this is exactly what I've been calling for -- this team can contend if Kyrie is an elite facilitator and uses his offensive talent to get every one involved.  We become Golden State-scary if he commits to that.

18 assists, must be his ca4eer high  :o

This is what Kyrie has to do

What? Singlehandedly win us a title?

Nah bro. You picked a side, the “Kyrie is a cancer” side, and lost big. Time to own up to it and take it on the chin.

what are you talking about

Tonights Kyrie is different than yesterdays

I have no issue with tonights version and moving forward this version

If you are happy with how this season has resulted thus far (prior to tonight)...you are crazy

Believe it or not, there are opinions other than "the Celtics should change nothing" and "Kyrie has to average 15apg"

You may be surprised to learn that no one you've talked to here fits into those categories
I'm bitter.

« Reply #613 on: January 17, 2019, 02:33:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Locked....and I hate doing this to game threads but had to happen.