Author Topic: David Aldridge: Butler trade is very real but stuck- Ainge won't include Crowder  (Read 29266 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
All of this talk is ridiculous.
Are we really debating the merits of trading a role player on a great contract vs an all star on his own great contract?
Are we really debating the merits of trading a top 5 pick (who we pray will be an allstar) for an actual allstar?

Just get the deal done and figure out the rest later. You would have a top coach with 3 allstar level players. That's 60 wins in the east.

Now imagine trading the Top 5 pick, Crowder+Bradley, possibly one of Smart/Brown, and a lot more.

Still sound crazy to you?

This logic is impossible. Chicago can't add 3 players without giving up 2-3 to meet roster size limits.
So you're talking about trading 3 role players, for an allstar and 1-2 probable role players.
STILL SOUNDS CRAZY
Can you really not understand a hesitation to give up a garunteed top 4 pick in a loaded draft as well as a team leader and above average starter on arguably the best non-rookie non-max contract in the league, and on top of that a guy like Jaylen Brown?

if you cant understand that hesitation, then you are indeed taking crazy pills.

Love your Quote dude!

Btw I'm hesitant on any deal that just results in us losing to Lebron

I think ainge wants to go to war with these guys!

IT4
Bradley
Butler
Horford
Crowder
Smart

That's not realistic in any scenario. You have to give someone from Brad-Crow-Smart trio.

Bradley. They will keep IT and Smart on extensions.

Bradley himself will command close to max so I think he's gone after 2018.

Plus Butler can play the 2 as well go cover AB's absence.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Are we really debating the merits of trading a role player on a great contract vs an all star on his own great contract?
Are we really debating the merits of trading a top 5 pick (who we pray will be an allstar) for an actual allstar?

Just get the deal done and figure out the rest later. You would have a top coach with 3 allstar level players. That's 60 wins in the east.

Now imagine trading the Top 5 pick, Crowder+Bradley, possibly one of Smart/Brown, and a lot more.

This logic is impossible. Chicago can't add 3 players without giving up 2-3 to meet roster size limits.
So you're talking about trading 3 role players, for an allstar and 1-2 probable role players.
STILL SOUNDS CRAZY

You think Chicago would give up on the trade because they had to waive or include someone like Zisper? Because waiving him would put them at 13 roster spots, enough to take on 3 players while only sending out 1.

And are you seriously calling Bradley, Crowder, and Smart role players (they're much more than that; two of them, and arguably all three, would be starters on most teams in the league) and comparing them directly to the type of end-of-bench guy that Chicago would have to get rid of on that situation? And then completely ignoring the pick with the best odds of being #1 in this year's draft?

You can have whatever feelings you want about what trade would be fair, but calling people crazy and then being intentionally obtuse while misinterpreting their arguments doesn't add anything
I'm bitter.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
We would only be slightly better swapping out Crowder for Butler imo.  Shouldn't budge from anything more than Bradley + Brown + pick.
thats a steep price in itself.

No way I give up Bradley+Brown+'17+Crowder.

no way.

Id do Butler for Rozier, Nets '17 , and Avery Bradley.

Thats my biggest offer.

If you want a Nets pick you can take brown and Smart off the table.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466

STILL SOUNDS CRAZY
Can you really not understand a hesitation to give up a garunteed top 4 pick in a loaded draft as well as a team leader and above average starter on arguably the best non-rookie non-max contract in the league, and on top of that a guy like Jaylen Brown?

if you cant understand that hesitation, then you are indeed taking crazy pills.

If the price for Butler really is this years Nets swap, Crowder, and Brown I say no on the trade.  That is just way too much for Butler.  I know he is a great player, but that is too much for me.  He isn't going to get the number of touches he gets in chicago with our team, he won't have the same alpha dog role.

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1466
We would only be slightly better swapping out Crowder for Butler imo.  Shouldn't budge from anything more than Bradley + Brown + pick.
thats a steep price in itself.

No way I give up Bradley+Brown+'17+Crowder.

no way.

Yeah Bradley Brown Crowder and '17 is wayyyyyy too much.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
If the framework of the deal is set like 2017 BKN Pick, Zeller/Amir, Bradley, future non-BKN Picks and Ainge agrees, But they (CHI) insist on adding Crowder to the deal and that makes it so that there's no deal, then wow Bulls fans will erupt in flames haha.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Appears we might not be alone in our pursuit of Butler. Enter Magic/Lakers into mix-maybe it is to drive price up on us again. Perfect storm for Bulls if they truly want to trade him..have Celtics and Lakers fight for him....

https://twitter.com/TheMikeAdamle?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
What if it's Bradley AND Crowder plus Rozier and 2018 Nets pick and a 2019 pick.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z3qejdq

Keeping Smart and Jaylen would be huge. Plus you still have cap room with Amir/Zeller/Jerebko all able to come off the books and make a run at Hayward and/or Noel.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Would rather have Paul George for the same price if that's what it took.

Try to go after Drummond or Noel.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Appears we might not be alone in our pursuit of Butler. Enter Magic/Lakers into mix-maybe it is to drive price up on us again. Perfect storm for Bulls if they truly want to trade him..have Celtics and Lakers fight for him....

https://twitter.com/TheMikeAdamle?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I would love it if the Lakers got Butler, and we got George, and while we continue the upward trajectory, Jimmy just immediately starts throwing the Lakers who are left under the bus.
#JKJB

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 627
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I would not give up both Nets picks, plus Crowder, plus Brown/Smart...no way. Just stand pat...address FA in the summer, keep Crowder and draft Fultz, Ball or Jackson

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
DA has to get rid of AB .   He is already mad about his contract and is looking to rob the bank. I'd rather trade him now , get something , before you have to let him go,  can't pay him Bulter / George money

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 627
  • MASTER OF PANIC
If they want to move anyone...move Bradley. He is always hurt and the guys behind him can do what he does. No way you invest big money into that guy

Bradley
One of Nets pick
Brown
Zeller or Amir

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
We don't know what the price is but what I can't agree with are statements that echo the sentiment "Jimmy Butler is a minor upgrade from Crowder". Like, seriously?? Crowder is a 3 and D player. Butler is an all star. That's like saying Kawhi Leonard is a minor upgrade from Trevor Ariza.
- LilRip

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Here are some thoughts on including Crowder in a deal

1. Jimmy Butler in the past has had leadership issues and the Celtics don't want to hurt their chemistry in a deal. Butler and Crowder are friends, bring him in with someone he knows well would help his transition.

2. I love the fit of Jimmy next to Crowder rather than instead of Crowder. The last 2 years our best defenses have featured lineups that can switch everything. On offense Crowder at the 4 gives Jimmy Butler more space than he has ever had before.

3. I'd much rather move Bradley than Crowder.  I think in the end we will offer them something like Bradley, Rozier, Olynyk, Net 17' pick, Memphis pick, Clippers pick. If it's more than that the C's should consider walking away. I'm sure a similar trade would be available on draft night, and maybe the Bulls will feel different at that point.I like our team now we don't need to make a move if the price isn't right.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19