Author Topic: David Aldridge: Butler trade is very real but stuck- Ainge won't include Crowder  (Read 29266 times)

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
anyone else see this on NBA TV?

David Aldridge:
-"Jimmy Butler trade with Celtics is very real."
-"Main sticking point is Jae Crowder and Danny is refusing to include Crowder in any Butler" deal",
- But "Bulls are insisting."

I'm praying they are begging for 18' BRK pick + Crowder.

I hope Ainge holds out and gives them an extra pick somewhere instead.
Video here:

https://watch.nba.com/video/2017/02/21/20170221-gametime-nba-boston-celtics-interest-chicago-jimmy-butler
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well I'd hope Butler would play the 3 for us so why is keeping Crowder a deal breaker? We don't need him to play the 2 we have plenty of guys for that.

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I just really don't think Butler is worth the BRK17 and other MAJOR assets. Sure Bradley is a huge asset, but our guard jam and some other factors make him more expendable.

Danny loves Crowder's contract. It is as simple as that. It is the kind of contract that allows huge amounts of flexibility with the rest of the roster going forward. Now that he is flirting with great shooting splits and his typical hound dog defense, I can see Ainge's resistance.

BRK 17, and AB along with salary filler is fair. Throw in a couple of non BRK 1sts and the bulls should be very happy. We can't give up both BRK 17 and Brown or BRK18. we need to keep 2 of those assets.

I wish it was George that was available though.
#JKJB

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Well I'd hope Butler would play the 3 for us so why is keeping Crowder a deal breaker? We don't need him to play the 2 we have plenty of guys for that.

Because he only makes $7M/yr through 2020. Ainge is a master at managing the salary cap - letting their best cost controlled asset go will cause all kinds of problems moving forward.

If no BKN picks are involved (something like AB, Crowder, Memphis pick, and some 2nds), then maybe he will eventually budge. But, no way on Crowder, BKN pick, and additional assets.

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Because he only makes $7M/yr through 2020. Ainge is a master at managing the salary cap - letting their best cost controlled asset go will cause all kinds of problems moving forward.

If no BKN picks are involved (something like AB, Crowder, Memphis pick, and some 2nds), then maybe he will eventually budge. But, no way on Crowder, BKN pick, and additional assets.

People still seem not to grasp just how valuable Jae's contract is. Next year when the cap is projected to be 108 million, he is going to be making a little under 6.8 million. That is 5.56% of the cap for a starting quality 3 and D role player who once in a while makes decent plays. Oh and he is under contract until UFA in 2020. He has arguably the best long term contract in the league. Lets stop acting like he is just a throw in for a deal. His value is real. Spot on in regards to what the trade should look like Jambr.
#JKJB

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Ainge is really killing me man...

First missing out on Ibaka because he didn't want to give up Rozier...
Then missing out on Cousins because of (at this point god only knows what reason)

Now he's halting a Butler trade because he doesn't want to give up Crowder - who plays the same position?!?!?!

AHHHH Danny, why must you be so infuriating!!!!

Only thing I can think of is maybe they want Bradley and Crowder and the 2018 1st, and Ainge is willing to offer Bradley, but he's not willing to offer both Bradley and Crowder - in which case I would understand.

It makes sense, as Bradley and Crowder make about $15M between them, so that would match Butler's contract.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

That's really a moot point though, because in Butler you have a (arguably) superstar who is making $17M a year for the next four years. 

That's even better value then a good starter (Crowder) on $7M a year.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Get them to take Bradley instead of Crowder. Paying him and Isiah next year is going to be dicey.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I guess it depends on what the rest of the package is. If it's BRK pick + Bradley already and CHI wants Crowder as well, then Ainge is correct I'm drawing a line in the sand. That would be too much.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
You know what, screw it- I think I'd do it anyway.

Bradley + Crowder + 2018 Brooklyn 1st

It's a steep price, but it's fair. 

For the remainder of this year, we would probably start Smart/Butler - I can live with that.  That would be a seriously capable perimeter defence which would help cover for Thomas' defensive deficiencies....while Butler's scoring would help make up for Smart's lack of offence.   

We probably wouldn't take a huge step forward this year as we'd have chemstry adjustments, etc, but we should at least hold steady. 

Then after the season (since Butler makes about the same as Bradley and Crowder combined) we would still full cap flexibility to go after a max free agent (Hayward, Millsap, Griffin) and thee fact that we now have Thomas/Butler/Horford makes it more appealing for one of those guys to come here.

Plus we would still retain the 2017 Nets Pick.

So we sacrifice a little bit this year maybe, for a HUGE payoff next year as we potentially move forward with Thomas, Fultz, Butler, Millsap/Griffin, Horford. 

Or maybe Thomas, Butler, Hayward, Horford, Olynyk (while Zizic learns the ropes). 

I'd be willing to take that. 

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Crowder should be untouchable.  If Ainge wants to build a "sustainable" roster, Crowder is irreplaceable.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I saw this too. He was vague about what picks were involved. Said that was the easy part, which of course is not true. Take what he said with a grain of salt.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Crowder should be untouchable.  If Ainge wants to build a "sustainable" roster, Crowder is irreplaceable.

When you have the ability to add a guy who multi-time all defensive teamer who is averaging 24/6/5 then, I'm sorry, but Crowder is not untouchable.

There is nothing Crowder does that Butler doesn't do.  And everything that they both do, Butler does better.  Except maybe three point shooting, but Crowder didn't do that much better then Butler the previous few seasons.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

This is not true at all. Not when you are replacing him with a better player who plays the same position.

Butler at his contract better value than Crowder at his contract.

Chicago can have one of Bradley or Crowder, I really don't care which, just not both.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

When you have the ability to add a guy who multi-time all defensive teamer who is averaging 24/6/5 then, I'm sorry, but Crowder is not untouchable.

There is nothing Crowder does that Butler doesn't do.  And everything that they both do, Butler does better.  Except maybe three point shooting, but Crowder didn't do that much better then Butler the previous few seasons.

Contracts matter too.  Every team has a budget.  The Celtics will not be able to afford Bradley, Smart, and IT after next season.  They will be able to afford IT, Smart, and Crowder.  Trading Crowder means this trade costs you both him and Bradley, and whatever else the Celtics are giving up.  Unless you're down with something like Brooklyn 2017, Bradley, and Crowder to begin with, in which case we have an irreconcilable disagreement on Jimmy Butler's value.