Author Topic: Penny to the Sox?  (Read 3086 times)

Penny to the Sox?
« on: December 29, 2008, 02:48:12 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AqQNK8iei.IMGXLnRJcjZGURvLYF?slug=txredsoxpenny&prov=st&type=lgns

Depending on the price, and whether Penny gets back to form, could be a nice pickup for the Sox.
Celtics fan for life.

Re: Penny to the Sox?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 02:52:05 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3797047

Seems pretty much done.  One year at $5 mil with the ability to get an extra $3 mil in incentives.

They're also signing Josh Bard.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 03:18:46 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
It's a good deal for them.  low risk, and if he can be like he was 2 years ago, then it could be a steal.

one thing to note, he has never pitched in the AL, so I guess I dont really expect any ERA below 4.25, but we can hope.

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:38:01 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
personally, i'd rather them see where Schilling is at....but not a bad pick up if it's accurate.

anybody know what's going on with Schill....is he retiring?

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 03:56:48 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
personally, i'd rather them see where Schilling is at....but not a bad pick up if it's accurate.

anybody know what's going on with Schill....is he retiring?

He wont be ready at the start of the year.  He has said if he pitches, it will be similar to what Clemens did (minus the roids)

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 04:05:52 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Anything to get him out of LA.  Thanks to the Sox for removing all doubt of his leaving the Dodgers for good.

That isn't to say that I don't think Penny can be a good pickup for the Sox, but it would be kind to simply say he wore out his welcome in Hollywood.  Good riddance.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 04:20:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Anything to get him out of LA.  Thanks to the Sox for removing all doubt of his leaving the Dodgers for good.

That isn't to say that I don't think Penny can be a good pickup for the Sox, but it would be kind to simply say he wore out his welcome in Hollywood.  Good riddance.

-sw

The luxury the Sox have is that they can have him as their 4th or 5th starter, and may not even expect him to make more than 20 starts all year.  In LA, he should have been a crucial part of their rotation.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 04:31:42 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
This signing is similar to a lot of moves the Celtics have made recently. We all know the Celtics like to go after undervalued players, ones that are coming off injury, ones that are inexperienced or will take the championship discount. Basically low risk high reward players.
The Sox in this mode have signed Penny to a 1 year deal that is incentive laden. Penny is a player that could really help the sox if he can return to form, going back to his mid 3 era days. He could also get injured and not be able to pitch, or be plain ineffective. What's 5 million dollars for a team that is going to have 140 million dollar payroll.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
These type of signings haven't generally worked out very well for the Sox recently -- Wade Willer, Joel Pineiro (sp?), Colon -- but it's worth the gamble.

I can't help but wonder, though, if the $5 million would have been more effectively spent by upping the offer made to Teixera.  Maybe not, but again, I wonder.  $5 million isn't exactly a pittance, although it could certainly be a bargain if Penny recovers 100%.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 05:04:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
These type of signings haven't generally worked out very well for the Sox recently -- Wade Willer, Joel Pineiro (sp?), Colon -- but it's worth the gamble.

I can't help but wonder, though, if the $5 million would have been more effectively spent by upping the offer made to Teixera.  Maybe not, but again, I wonder.  $5 million isn't exactly a pittance, although it could certainly be a bargain if Penny recovers 100%.

Well, it worked out for Colon, who gave them a good string of starts, when they really needed it. 

As for the $5 million going to Tex...well, you know its not really that simple.