Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 959461 times)

Re: What's the Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #3000 on: January 13, 2020, 02:37:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The Irishman--Enjoyed the pace of it, but agree with Roy, not the ending.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood--Thought DiCaprio's performance was more interesting than Pitt's.  Do not get all the hype about this film.  Feel that Tarantino is cutting and pasting his ideas from other films and installing here. 

Parasite--Quite enjoyable, although the ending is a bit ridiculous. 

« Reply #3001 on: January 13, 2020, 02:39:39 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
1917. Well done, but depressing as hell.

I am really looking forward to seeing that movie. I thought it was out on Christmas Day so went to the movies and I guess I had to wait. Now just waiting for my brother to arrive from his trip to see it. I am curious to know where in France the movie takes place. My wife is from Northern France and I know there's a lot of history from both Wars where she's from.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #3002 on: January 13, 2020, 02:53:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
John Wick 3
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3003 on: January 13, 2020, 05:29:39 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
1917. Was a marvel in terms of cinematography, shots captured, and the way it was shot.

Also watched Dolemite. Eddie Murphy killed it, can't believe he didn't get an Oscar nom. He was born for that role.

Knives Out was fun. Will have trouble for movie goers wanting repeat viewings.

Uncut Gems. Was absurd but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some people will hate it but there's no way you can't come out of the theater impacted by the experience. As with Eddie, Sandler got robbed of an Oscar nom.

« Reply #3004 on: January 13, 2020, 05:33:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Rewatching the original Star Wars trilogy with my girlfriend (who has never seen any of them).

Such a fun little nostalgia trip.

I’m excited to go see 1917 & The Lighthouse (only hitting Australian theatres soon)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3005 on: January 13, 2020, 05:58:46 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Honey Boy.

Best movie I’ve seen all year by a pretty wide margin. For those who don’t know, it’s a movie based on Shia LaBeoufs upbringing as a childhood actor. When I first heard about the movie, my initial thought was that it was a pretty egotistical move to make a movie about ones self. However, in no way does Shia attempt to glorify his past, in fact, just the opposite. It centers around the trauma he endured at the hands of his narcissistic, indignant, abusive father. The best part about this movie is that Shia himself actually plays the role of his father and gives an absolutely astonishing performance. The movie is tense, funny, heartbreaking, healing, strange, you name it. Alma Harel also did an amazing job directing it, and I’ll pretty much see anything she does from now on, as well as see any Movie Shia writes - even though he says he doesn’t intend on writing any more screen plays, he clearly has an amazing knack for it.

The only 2019 movie that rivals this, to me, is the joker.

« Reply #3006 on: January 14, 2020, 11:48:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not entirely relevant, and I have to include a NSFW warning, but I found this pretty hilarious.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v74ead/after-adam-sandlers-uncut-gems-oscars-snub-he-wants-to-make-a-bad-movie-on-purpose

First worthwhile Vice article I've seen in years
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3007 on: January 15, 2020, 05:56:29 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Joker. Can say it was good and not at all a superhero/villain movie it's very grounded. Mostly a story of mental illness in Arthur and the degradation of society in Gotham, both of which eventually breaks.

« Reply #3008 on: January 15, 2020, 06:42:26 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Joker. Can say it was good and not at all a superhero/villain movie it's very grounded. Mostly a story of mental illness in Arthur and the degradation of society in Gotham, both of which eventually breaks.

Just watched it as well....I wonder what is the age of Arthur in this film as he thought all along he was a Wayne. Bruce is definitely very young at this point so Im thinking is the Joker at least 20 yrs older than Batsy?

« Reply #3009 on: January 15, 2020, 06:56:08 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Just watched it as well....I wonder what is the age of Arthur in this film as he thought all along he was a Wayne. Bruce is definitely very young at this point so Im thinking is the Joker at least 20 yrs older than Batsy?
Due to his health being pretty bad hard for me to estimate his age. Id guess he was supposed to be 38 to 45 in age range. So he is definitely 20 years or more older.

Joker also seems like a mantle or state more than a person after this movie.

« Reply #3010 on: January 15, 2020, 08:40:58 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Honey Boy.

Best movie I’ve seen all year by a pretty wide margin. For those who don’t know, it’s a movie based on Shia LaBeoufs upbringing as a childhood actor. When I first heard about the movie, my initial thought was that it was a pretty egotistical move to make a movie about ones self. However, in no way does Shia attempt to glorify his past, in fact, just the opposite. It centers around the trauma he endured at the hands of his narcissistic, indignant, abusive father. The best part about this movie is that Shia himself actually plays the role of his father and gives an absolutely astonishing performance. The movie is tense, funny, heartbreaking, healing, strange, you name it. Alma Harel also did an amazing job directing it, and I’ll pretty much see anything she does from now on, as well as see any Movie Shia writes - even though he says he doesn’t intend on writing any more screen plays, he clearly has an amazing knack for it.

Nice review. I will see this. Thanks.

« Reply #3011 on: January 15, 2020, 09:08:50 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Honey Boy.

I've been meaning to check this out. Thanks for the reminder.

« Reply #3012 on: January 15, 2020, 10:22:08 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Not entirely relevant, and I have to include a NSFW warning, but I found this pretty hilarious.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v74ead/after-adam-sandlers-uncut-gems-oscars-snub-he-wants-to-make-a-bad-movie-on-purpose

First worthwhile Vice article I've seen in years

What is your work place like to make that article NSFW?

Anyway, I actually thought Bunkered sounded like it would be a great movie, something that could even get Oscar buzz (if done right).  I'm sure the writers meant it as more distasteful slapstick, but I was picturing more of a gritty, tragic/dark comedy/drama, something along the lines of the Big Sick, Funny People, Patch Adams, etc., but darker.

A group of soldiers facing their own grim mortality, dealing with the typical nastiness of war and low moral, is falling apart at the seams.  One soldier, channels his own demons into jokes and standup that keeps the group together, despite the constant wartime horrors being experienced throughout the unit.

Then there will be that big emotional scene near the end, after Sandler's best friend or mentee gets his head blown off while right next to him (maybe even due to an order that Sandler gave) and we see Sandler break down.  Later, back at the bunker/barracks we see broken, maybe even suicidal Sandler, have his emotional outburst "I just can't do this anymore, why him, it should have been me."  One of the other soldiers talks him off the proverbial ledge, "the rest of the unit needs you."  Sandler is able to gather himself enough to confront the rest of the unit, he starts talking about death, suicide, the pointlessness of war.  The audience thinks he's lost it, but midway through his "set" has an epiphany, slowly turns the mood around, and is once again able to bring laughter to the unit and keep the group together.

I'd pay money to see that movie.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3013 on: January 15, 2020, 11:52:53 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
A.I. - Artificial Intelligence.

Yet another Steven Spielsberg classic, IMO.

Had never seen this one in its entirety until just recently but quite thought-provoking and touching. Some sad moments in it as well.

Runs the full gamut of emotions.

« Reply #3014 on: January 15, 2020, 12:29:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Due to his health being pretty bad hard for me to estimate his age. Id guess he was supposed to be 38 to 45 in age range. So he is definitely 20 years or more older.

Joker also seems like a mantle or state more than a person after this movie.

It would be fitting if Joker were really a 'remember, remember the 5th of November' type of persona.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner