Author Topic: Ray Allen Being Referred to as "Jesus"  (Read 14307 times)

Re: Ray Allen Being Referred to as "Jesus"
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2008, 12:50:02 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
I understand the point of this thread. However this name is very common in Spanish and Latino-American cultures, which means quite a big portion of the world's population ;)

No offense should be taken for calling him Jesus. Nobody thinks of Jesus Christ among these countries and cultures, it's a way to honour the faith by some families to call their kids Jesus or Maria...nothing blasphemeous or anything like that! In countries like Spain, you needed to name your kids with a christian name before, i doubt if the "rule" is still there.

And i like Jesus name for Ray Ray, he is a decent and classy guy ;)

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 01:02:23 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Me and my buddies call him "Ray Ray".

But you know, even though Ray Allen has only been in that one movie.. it was a really excellent film. 

EDIT: and maybe someone pointed this out already but in the Movie I do not think his character is even named after the son of God rather after another Basketball player. Anyone remember who?

Earl the Pearl...it has been mentioned in a couple posts
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 01:03:38 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
What about someone with a name like God Shamgod?

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2008, 01:04:27 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
What about someone with a name like God Shamgod?

haha, i knew someone would bring him up

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2008, 01:07:50 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I understand the point of this thread. However this name is very common in Spanish and Latino-American cultures, which means quite a big portion of the world's population ;)

No offense should be taken for calling him Jesus. Nobody thinks of Jesus Christ among these countries and cultures, it's a way to honour the faith by some families to call their kids Jesus or Maria...nothing blasphemeous or anything like that! In countries like Spain, you needed to name your kids with a christian name before, i doubt if the "rule" is still there.

And i like Jesus name for Ray Ray, he is a decent and classy guy ;)

If no one is thinking of him when they call their kids that, how is it honoring him?! That makes no sense.

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2008, 01:27:09 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I think the reason the nickname has stuck is for lack of another better nickname but also because the role was a really memorable one.  He Got Game is in my book the best basketball film ever (yeah, I'm including Blue Chips and Hoosiers so if Roy Hobbs comes gunning for me... you know who did it).

I am an athiest, but I think if I was a Christian this might offend me a bit.  Because in the context of the film, the name is religiously charged, per one of my favorite movie quotes.

"What kind of name is Jesus?"
"It's a biblical name."
"Yeah, no kidding." 

I remember the day we traded for him... I was living in Ohio, and my friend from Iowa comes up to me and just says "Jesus, huh?  Your team is saved."

Personally, I find El BJ's name offensive.  "King James", get out of here.  I'm not calling someone younger than me King, especially when he came into the league and hadn't done a thing yet.

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2008, 01:33:26 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Personally, I find El BJ's name offensive.  "King James", get out of here.  I'm not calling someone younger than me King, especially when he came into the league and hadn't done a thing yet.

So true. I can think of a nickname for him if we just re-arrange those letters. I really don't like LeBron. I think my dislike for him is spurred on even more by the media love for him.

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2008, 01:33:46 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis

I am an athiest, but I think if I was a Christian this might offend me a bit.  Because in the context of the film, the name is religiously charged, per one of my favorite movie quotes.

"It's a biblical name."
"Yeah, no kidding." 

Great quote, but he goes on to explain that he is not named for Jesus Christ, but after Black Jesus - Earl the Pearl

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2008, 01:41:06 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I think it's absolutely appropriate to use it as a nickname despite it being one movie filmed some time ago.  Think about it....

How many athletes star as the lead character in a big budget movie?

And more so, a movie about their sport, filmed bye famous basketball junkie Spike Lee.

It might have only been a blip in Ray's long career, but it sets up perfectly as a nickname.  I think people like saying it because it implies they are serious basketball fans familiar with "He Got Game" and it just kind of caught on.  Besides, it's a catchy name for a nickname because of obvious reasons.

I don't get offended by it and honestly think anyone who finds it even borderline sacrilegious needs to lighten up and take a quick trip to Mexico.  There are Jesuses everywhere. 

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2008, 01:42:50 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235

"It's a biblical name."
"Yeah, no kidding." 

Great quote, but he goes on to explain that he is not named for Jesus Christ, but after Black Jesus - Earl the Pearl

I'm not saying that's what he was named after in the movie.  But throughout the film his name comes up as being used religiously.  There are montages of magazine covers depicting him as the savior.  People use the name in that context throughout the film.  There is a definite, and intentional, religious overtone.

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2008, 01:44:48 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

"It's a biblical name."
"Yeah, no kidding." 

Now I think that's a whole other kettle of fish in terms of offensive nicknames (not that it offends me in particular).

I think the main problem with Jesus is that certain people belittle the name. I've got no problem with people being called Jesus, but you can't deny that there are people who use it in a sacrilegious and maybe even disrespectful manner. That's what annoys me.

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2008, 01:55:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

"It's a biblical name."
"Yeah, no kidding." 

Now I think that's a whole other kettle of fish in terms of offensive nicknames (not that it offends me in particular).

I think the main problem with Jesus is that certain people belittle the name. I've got no problem with people being called Jesus, but you can't deny that there are people who use it in a sacrilegious and maybe even disrespectful manner. That's what annoys me.
Wasn't Jesus a man of color? What's wrong with Black Jesus? Or is this a whole other conversation regarding the Roman Catholic church trying to make us believe that Jesus was a pasty white European?

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2008, 02:00:33 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

"It's a biblical name."
"Yeah, no kidding." 

Wasn't Jesus a man of color? What's wrong with Black Jesus? Or is this a whole other conversation regarding the Roman Catholic church trying to make us believe that Jesus was a pasty white European?

Haha. Jesus was a Jew, are Jewish people considered people of color? It depends on how you interpret it, I don't think Jesus was white, but he wasn't black either and I think the term "Black Jesus" is very controversial. The term itself doesn't bother me, but it's the intent of some people.

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2008, 02:07:42 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
James Edwards, from the 80's Pistons, was called Buddha.  Thats the same thing, isn't it?

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2008, 02:10:17 PM »

Offline FanInTheSouth

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 4

"It's a biblical name."
"Yeah, no kidding." 

I think that the problem with "Black Jesus" is that it implies he is the "Black Savior."  Christians believe that there is only 1 savior and referring to someone else that way is like insulting their beliefs.  Referring to Larry Legend as "the Basketball Jesus" is similar, but some might not take as much offense because of the basketball part, it would depend on the strength of their convictions... and possibly if they were Celtics fans or not.