Poll

What contract would you give Derick White?

4/100, 25 million a year
1 (3.2%)
4/120, 30 million a year, his max extension
6 (19.4%)
4/140, 35 million a year
9 (29%)
4/160, 40 million a year
9 (29%)
4/180, 45 million a year
4 (12.9%)
4/200, 50 million a year (about his max if he goes all the way to free agency).
2 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: What do you think Derrick White is worth?  (Read 7862 times)

Re: What do you think Derick White is worth?
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2024, 09:41:58 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2978
Brinks Truck

For dis man !

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2024, 09:42:02 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Definitely $40m. But I think they would strongly consider giving him a max if someone else offered it to him. It would still be a tradable asset. Wyc better get ready to pay $640m for this roster  :laugh:

They are charging like $640 for "decent seats" nowadays at TD Garden (beyond first round of playoffs) and a bottle of soda costs $8. PAY UP.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2024, 09:43:19 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 323
Definitely $40m. But I think they would strongly consider giving him a max if someone else offered it to him. It would still be a tradable asset. Wyc better get ready to pay $640m for this roster  :laugh:

There's no doubt about it. If Brad continues with this squad, he will face Golden State type issues with the cap. Let's hope they can win this year before making tough decisions.

Until then, the Celtics are playing very good basketball and have hope that Porzingis will return.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 09:58:21 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2024, 10:00:49 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1035
Honestly whatever it takes. He’s an integral part of this team.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2024, 10:02:33 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

There's no doubt about it. If Brad continues with this squad, he will face Golden State type issues with the cap. Let's hope they can win this year before making tough decisions.

Until then, the Celtics are playing very good basketball and have hope that Porzingis will return.

What did GS pay up , 5-6 years of that groups ?  That owner said he d run em long as they were contenders. GS revenue what out of this universe during their heyday .  It paid for all the taxes and then some.

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2024, 10:25:48 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 560
Definitely some overhype going on.  White is doing great but he's also benefiting by playing on a team loaded with talent.  He's worth Jrue's contract and maybe a bit more.  He's not a Max guy.  He's certainly not a #1 on a team.  Not sure which teams he'd even be #2.     

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2024, 10:51:17 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
He should get the same contract Jrue just received. 4 years, $135M.

He is 4 years younger than Jrue.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2024, 10:58:12 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 133
Definitely some overhype going on.  White is doing great but he's also benefiting by playing on a team loaded with talent.  He's worth Jrue's contract and maybe a bit more.  He's not a Max guy.  He's certainly not a #1 on a team.  Not sure which teams he'd even be #2.   

1. White was the distant 4th offensive option on this team, with his usage rate of 18.6% falling way below Tatum (30.2%), Brown (28.9%) and Porzingis (25.1%).  Despite his relative low priority in the offence, he still averaged 15.2 PPG and put up three 30+ point games (2 in the regular season, 1 in the playoffs).  I have no doubts at all that he could average ~22 PPG if he were given a bigger offensive role on a less stacked team.   

2. Over the past two seasons he has shot 46% / 39% / 89% splits which are extremely impressive (borderline elite) shooting splits in an era where shooting is one of the most prized commodities.   

3. Not only can he score (and do it efficiently) but he's also clutch.  I've lost count of the number of huge baskets White has made this year in crucial moments. Every team aiming for a championship run values players who are big in the clutch - it can be the difference between a championship and a 2nd round exit. 

4. In addition to scoring, he also averaged 4.2 reb and 5.2 assists while committing only 1.5 turnovers, so he's not a one trick scoring pony - he gives you a little bit of everything and does so with very low risk / high efficiency.

5. In addition to all of the above he's also an elite and extremely versatile defensive player - which is probably the second highest valued commodity in today's NBA.  He's a guard with good size who can defend 3 positions, he led all guards in shot blocking (1.2 BPG - 16th overall) and I'll be shocked if he doesn't make an all-defensive 1st or 2nd team this year.

White is the ultimate glue guy.  He may not be a #1 option and may even be a stretch as a #2 option - but he's the kind of glue guy that makes exactly the play you need, at exactly the moment you need it.  He's the type of guy that could win you championships.  The kinda of guy who win Finals MVP as your #3 option. 

I feel there are teams out there who would pay a LOT of money for a guy like White.

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2024, 11:26:40 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
TWO Brinks trucks loaded

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2024, 12:06:15 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1035

You don’t have to be a 1 or even 2 to get the bag anymore.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2024, 01:02:45 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 133

You don’t have to be a 1 or even 2 to get the bag anymore.

This is true.  I mean, right now White is basically a better and younger version of Jrue Holiday - and Jrue has been getting big paydays for a while now. 

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2024, 05:10:46 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1402

What did GS pay up , 5-6 years of that groups ?  That owner said he d run em long as they were contenders. GS revenue what out of this universe during their heyday .  It paid for all the taxes and then some.

It was different when Myers and Lacob made that decision...the luxury tax was not as onerous and the penalty was mainly financial so teams could decide to just go over the cap (like GS and the Clippers). The new CBA introduces the second apron which is where teams get roster building penalties, like loss of access to the MLE, draft pick being frozen and going to last place, being unable to aggregate salaries in trade (can't trade a 20m + 10m player for a 30m player), can't send cash in trades, can't access trade exceptions from previous years, etc. In a sense the goal of the new CBA was to prevent a second Golden State from happening. It's not surprising Myers bailed on GS when all the checks he wrote started to get cashed  ;D
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2024, 05:16:36 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1402

There's certain players that are force multipliers...they make the players around them better, and they get better when they're surrounded by good players, but by themselves they might not be so hot. Derrick has to work out if he's the former or the latter, and he has to work out if a max contract someone might give him ($200m) would be worth going to that team and possibly not being able to meet expectations and the impact that might have on his playing enjoyment and future contracts, vs playing for the Cs, making (only) $120m, giving up $80m, for a chance to continue to shine amongst an ensemble cast and play for championships.

Then again, players like Simmons and Hayward and Tobias Harris didn't have a problem chasing the money...in Hayward's case doing it twice. To us if someone is making $120m, going for another $80m seems positively selfish - why not go for the championships? But we're fans...whether they win a championship or not doesn't affect our financial situation. This is what Derrick does for a living. I would be disappointed if he chased the money because we would lose him but I would understand why he would do it...lot of things you can do with an extra $80m  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2024, 05:25:41 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2426

I thought it would be interesting to see where D White may rank on the other teams in the playoffs this year.

East

(2) New York = tied 3rd / 4th with Anunoby behind Brunson and Randle
(3) Milwaukee = 3rd behind Giannis and Lillard
(4) Cleveland = hard to say. A better fit next to D Mitchell than Garland is. I am not sure D White is better individually but I do like his fit better than Garland. You would trade Garland for a wing. Better than Mobley. Better than J Allen? Yeah, I think so. I'll go 2nd best player.

(5) Orlando = 2nd/3rd best player behind Banchero. Main guard on team. Competes with F Wagner for 2nd or 3rd option.
(6) Indiana = great fit next to Haliburton. Probably close in value to Siakam as 2nd best Pacers player. M Turner not far behind. Three fairly similar talents. A Big Four.
(7) Philly = 3rd best player behind Embiid and Maxey
[8] Miami = 3rd best player behind Jimmy and Bam

West

(1) Denver = 3rd best player behind Jokic and J Murray
(2) OKC = 3rd / 4th best player behind SGA and Jalen Williams. Chet is still developing. D White the 3rd best player now but maybe not for long. Maybe Chet overtakes him soon.
(3) Minny = 4th best player after Ant, Towns and Gobert
(4) Dallas = 3rd best player after Luka & Kyrie

(5) LAC = this is hard to say. I'd take Harden over D White. Kawhi is always injured. Is is fair to take Kawhi over D White? Certainly when healthy. But he is so injured. I'd take D White over PG13 at this point. I am that disappointed in his play. So White is either #2 or #3 depending on how you judge Kawhi and his injury proneness.

(6) Phoenix = #3 option behind Durant and D Booker
(7) New Orleans = #3 option behind Ingram and Zion. You could make a case for D White ahead of Ingram. He is a serial choker. I would take D White over McCollum as the 3rd option next to those two young scorers.
[8] LA Lakers = #3 option behind AD and LeBron.

#3 option on an awful lot of those teams.
#3 can often get max money.

Speaks highly of D White and his market value.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 05:30:57 AM by Who »

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2024, 06:06:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1560

I thought it would be interesting to see where D White may rank on the other teams in the playoffs this year.

East

(2) New York = tied 3rd / 4th with Anunoby behind Brunson and Randle
(3) Milwaukee = 3rd behind Giannis and Lillard
(4) Cleveland = hard to say. A better fit next to D Mitchell than Garland is. I am not sure D White is better individually but I do like his fit better than Garland. You would trade Garland for a wing. Better than Mobley. Better than J Allen? Yeah, I think so. I'll go 2nd best player.

(5) Orlando = 2nd/3rd best player behind Banchero. Main guard on team. Competes with F Wagner for 2nd or 3rd option.
(6) Indiana = great fit next to Haliburton. Probably close in value to Siakam as 2nd best Pacers player. M Turner not far behind. Three fairly similar talents. A Big Four.
(7) Philly = 3rd best player behind Embiid and Maxey
[8] Miami = 3rd best player behind Jimmy and Bam

West

(1) Denver = 3rd best player behind Jokic and J Murray
(2) OKC = 3rd / 4th best player behind SGA and Jalen Williams. Chet is still developing. D White the 3rd best player now but maybe not for long. Maybe Chet overtakes him soon.
(3) Minny = 4th best player after Ant, Towns and Gobert
(4) Dallas = 3rd best player after Luka & Kyrie

(5) LAC = this is hard to say. I'd take Harden over D White. Kawhi is always injured. Is is fair to take Kawhi over D White? Certainly when healthy. But he is so injured. I'd take D White over PG13 at this point. I am that disappointed in his play. So White is either #2 or #3 depending on how you judge Kawhi and his injury proneness.

(6) Phoenix = #3 option behind Durant and D Booker
(7) New Orleans = #3 option behind Ingram and Zion. You could make a case for D White ahead of Ingram. He is a serial choker. I would take D White over McCollum as the 3rd option next to those two young scorers.
[8] LA Lakers = #3 option behind AD and LeBron.

#3 option on an awful lot of those teams.
#3 can often get max money.

Speaks highly of D White and his market value.
you are definitely overrating White.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip