Author Topic: I'm begging you Danny, get a back up point guard  (Read 8107 times)

Re: I'm begging you Danny, get a back up point guard
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 11:09:09 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I've never heard anyone say Watson is a malcontent.  TJ Ford is a malcontent everywhere.

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 11:52:21 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I've never heard anyone say Watson is a malcontent. 

I have. It's generally a bad sign when a team signs you to a multi-year contract and then starts trying to unload you after a couple of months.

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 11:55:19 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I'm not concerned about this position. I don't think it's a need. Marquis and House do a good job.

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 11:56:07 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I have. It's generally a bad sign when a team signs you to a multi-year contract and then starts trying to unload you after a couple of months.

Well that had much more to do with the fact that they were idiots to give him that contract, not that he was a malcontent.

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 11:59:09 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
What about Brevin Knight?
No interest in a backup point guard that can't shoot. That would mean that the Celtics have no reserve players (Daniels, TA, backup PG + Giddens, Walker) on the perimeter who can shoot the ball and no shooting from the starting point (Rondo).

Only shooters would be the Big Three and Sheed. I don't like that idea. You want guys who can space the floor for them, give them room to operate, and punish teams that send too much defensive attention on them.

One non-shooter (Rondo) is easy to work around.
Two non-shooters (Rondo + Daniels) is a little dodgy but okay
Three non-shooters is (Rondo + Daniels + backup PG) is highly worrisome

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 12:03:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
No interest in a backup point guard that can't shoot. That would mean that the Celtics have no reserve players (Daniels, TA, backup PG + Giddens, Walker) on the perimeter who can shoot the ball and no shooting from the starting point (Rondo).

Only shooters would be the Big Three and Sheed. I don't like that idea. You want guys who can space the floor for them, give them room to operate, and punish teams that send too much defensive attention on them.

One non-shooter (Rondo) is easy to work around.
Two non-shooters (Rondo + Daniels) is a little dodgy but okay
Three non-shooters is (Rondo + Daniels + backup PG) is highly worrisome

I agree with this.  And this is another reason why it is not an easy task.  This team does not need someone just to handle the ball, they need a quality player who is good enough to be in the rotation of a championship caliber teams.  Those guys are not THAT easy to find.

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 12:14:01 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I sure hope that people on here aren't blaming the loss last night on the backup pg spot. I would like nothing more than to rip TA to shreds, but he isn't the reason we got it handed to us in our own building. Rondo, PP, and Ray last night played like a bunch of punks. Like they didn't have to give any effort to win. Bad Rondo returned (haven't seen him in a while thankfully) and the theme of the night was "Rose blows past Rondo". He was responsible for all those put back dunks as one of the bigs had to rotate to his man. PP and Ray weren't much better.

They didn't play hard and as a result they let the Bulls take a lead they never relinquished. You heard it out of Doc's mouth in the huddle. They were screwing around. When you don't have 3 of your best 6 players healthy you can't afford to play soft. These kinds of games are the reason we won't have home court throughout and it will be a much more difficult road to a championship.

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 12:26:13 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Who: No interest in a backup point guard that can't shoot. That would mean that the Celtics have no reserve players (Daniels, TA, backup PG + Giddens, Walker) on the perimeter who can shoot the ball and no shooting from the starting point (Rondo).

Aren't you forgetting Eddie House

He's a shooter
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 12:31:59 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Keyon dooling.

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 12:38:42 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Who: No interest in a backup point guard that can't shoot. That would mean that the Celtics have no reserve players (Daniels, TA, backup PG + Giddens, Walker) on the perimeter who can shoot the ball and no shooting from the starting point (Rondo).

Aren't you forgetting Eddie House

He's a shooter
I've no interest in House playing alongside a point guard. Too small a backcourt. Defensively challenged + rebounding challenged combination. You give back more defensively than you create offensively.

No interest in that situation. I either want to see House at the point or out the rotation.

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 01:02:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Well that had much more to do with the fact that they were idiots to give him that contract, not that he was a malcontent.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of his moving around had to do with his unhappiness over not getting ~35 minutes a game.

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 01:06:30 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
I wanted him 3 years ago but I think his time has come and gone.

Same here.  I loved what he brought to the table three years ago and wanted the Celtics to sign him.  I think his skills have probably diminished considerably by now.  Also, reports came out two summers ago that Danny has avoided him because he's weary of Knight's attitude.

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 01:22:47 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
let's rename this thread "why earl watson and brevin knight suck"...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 01:31:25 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Here is the problem Danny is facing right now.  If Daniels is healthy, they are probably OK at PG.  He can handle the duties well enough to get Rondo his rest and keep House off the ball.  

However, it looks like Daniels will be out for at least another month, and who knows if he will remain healthy after that.  So can they stick it out with Tony Allen as the second ball handler (and I use that term VERY loosely) for that long?

And of course making things even worse is the fact that there just aren't many other options out there right now, and this team may have bigger holes to fill at the trade deadline if they want to use their expiring contracts.  For example, if KG doesn't get better soon, they might need to start looking at bringing in another athletic big man.

Ultimately, I think Danny is going to wait it out.  He will keep his eyes on the waivers to see if someone comes free, and he will stay open to ideas for trades.  But unless another injury happens, he will probably try to stick it out until the trade deadline, and buyouts.

If you recall, even before he was hurt, daniels wasn't really bringing the ball up much anyway. For some reason it seemed that Ray Allen, Pierce or House were handling the ball anyway. I remember because it was pretty frustrating to watch. I thought he did okay with the ball, but for some reason Doc didn't seem to feel confortable with him having it.

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 01:56:34 PM »

Offline Weird Facts

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • OOGIE BOOGEY DELONTE
A backup point guard won't make Ray Allen hit open shots.

We can point fingers all over the place if we want.

Even when Rondo was in last night - we took about 15 shots with less than 5 seconds on the shot clock.  (Desperation get it off before the buzzer kind of shots)

Back-up point guard - sure it'll help - but the Celtics need to get back to playing team basketball whether GARNETT, WALLACE & DANIELS play or not.

have a nice day

Fair or bad weather
I'll always be a fan of the green

http://www.cafepress.com/besttees3