Author Topic: What Will You Do As Celtics G.M. (for the rest of this season) 2009-2010  (Read 4747 times)

Re: What Will You Do As Celtics G.M. (for the rest of this season) 2009-2010
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 01:47:27 AM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
1) If Darko is released, I'd sign him just for his size and shot blocking

2) If Keyon Dooling is healthy, I'd trade TA & Shelden for Keyon. I wouldn't trade JR cause of his defense. And if Darko signs here, Shelden and his allergic hands can go.

3) A dream deal would be Kevin Martin for our junk.

Darko and shot blocking??.....Something doesn't sound right about that

Uh? Why?

Please tell me your being sarcastic!

Sarcastic about what?

Darko being a shot-blocker

Are you sure you know who Darko Milicic is? Because he's been of the best shot-blockers in the league since his rookie year. You're probably confusing him with someone else.

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 01:56:47 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
It is irrelevant. Darko is not coming back to the NBA. He's said as much, often.

Also Darko Milicic has not been a truly efficient shot blocker since 2006-2007 in Orlando.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 01:59:18 AM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 105

2) If Keyon Dooling is healthy, I'd trade TA & Shelden for Keyon. I wouldn't trade JR cause of his defense. And if Darko signs here, Shelden and his allergic hands can go.

Uh? Why?

Sarcastic about what?

Are you sure you know who Darko Milicic is? Because he's been of the best shot-blockers in the league since his rookie year. You're probably confusing him with someone else.

One of the best shot-blockers in the league since his rookie year? Did he even get in a game his rookie year? or his 2nd or 3rd?

The same Darko, who struggles to crack the rotations or of all teams he has been on right?
Or the same Darko who can almost guarantee has never gotten 1 single vote to be on the NBA All-Defensive Teams?
Or the same Darko who is a very good European player, but is not an NBA player?

Maybe your talking about him blocking shots over in Europe on his Serbian team.

I'm sorry my definition of a shot-blocker is (Ben Wallace, Alonzo, KG, Mutombo, Birdman, Gerald Wallace, Josh Smith, Bill Russell) players like that. Darko? Really?

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 02:06:54 AM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown

Uh? Why?

Sarcastic about what?

The same Darko, who struggles to crack the rotations or of all teams he has been on right?
Or the same Darko who can almost guarantee has never gotten 1 single vote to be on the NBA All-Defensive Teams?

I don't think Darko ever was a very good European player, he was a backup in a small team.

Shot-blocks per 36 (career averages)

Darko Milicic - 2.5
Kevin Garnett - 1.6
Kendrick Perkins - 2.4

Shot-blocks per 36 (best season)

Darko Milicic - 3.6
Kevin Garnett - 2.0
Kendrick Perkins - 2.8

Shot-Block Rate (blocks per 100 defensive possessions)

Darko Milicic - 5.5
Kevin Garnett - 3.2
Kendrick Perkins - 5.2

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 02:07:32 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

Uh? Why?

Sarcastic about what?

That's Shelden Williams you speak of. Darko was a starter in Orlando, and a backup Center in Memphis. Although he has been in the league for a while, he's still very raw. There is no point in arguing, it looks like he's taking the first flight back to Europe after his buyout.

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 02:08:08 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 02:15:52 AM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
I'm sorry my definition of a shot-blocker is (Ben Wallace, Alonzo, KG, Mutombo, Birdman, Gerald Wallace, Josh Smith, Bill Russell) players like that. Darko? Really?

I don't know what "players like that" mean. The most common definition of a shot-blocker is someone who block shots.

By this definition, Milicic is a far superior shot-blocker than KG and especially Gerald Wallace (because, well, he blocks more shots than them).

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 02:17:10 AM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown

Uh? Why?

Sarcastic about what?

I don't think Darko ever was a very good European player, he was a backup in a small team.

Shot-blocks per 36 (career averages)

Darko Milicic - 2.5
Kevin Garnett - 1.6
Kendrick Perkins - 2.4

Shot-blocks per 36 (best season)

Darko Milicic - 3.6
Kevin Garnett - 2.0
Kendrick Perkins - 2.8

Shot-Block Rate (blocks per 100 defensive possessions)

Darko Milicic - 5.5
Kevin Garnett - 3.2
Kendrick Perkins - 5.2

Hahaha. I was waiting on the stats. I knew they were coming soon.

Put up the number of minutes each player has avg'd
Put up the number of games each player has played
put up the number of games each player has started
put up the number of All NBA Defensive teams or votes for each player
put up the number of teams each player has played for
put up the number of times Darko has been put in a game to defend the opposing teams best post player.

please put those numbers up i want to see what those numbers look like.

Last time I checked, if your a good defender in this league, you usually stay on a team for a while, because a team wants your for your Defense. Ben Wallace, Bruce Bowen, Lindsey Hunter, Theo Ratliff, etc.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 02:28:23 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I'd desperately try and trade Ray Allen for Martin and Nocioni.

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2010, 02:31:46 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
Darko got dunked on by Glen Davis and Kendrick Perkins... in the same game.

Think about that for a moment.

As a matter of fact, go hit up YouTube and look up how many times he's been on the wrong end of a poster.  It's no wonder he blocks shots at a good rate - when people try to dunk on you 16 times in every game, you're bound to return one here and there.  He's the modern-day Shawn Bradley, or maybe what Patrick Ewing was to Jordan and Pippen.  Blocking a lot of shots doesn't necessarily make you a good shotblocker.

He has to have the worst poster-to-block ratio of anybody in the game right now.  

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2010, 02:33:25 AM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown

I don't know what "players like that" mean. The most common definition of a shot-blocker is someone who block shots.

By this definition, Milicic is a far superior shot-blocker than KG and especially Gerald Wallace (because, well, he blocks more shots than them).

So by the most-common definition, every player who has ever blocked a shot is a shot blocker?

If that was the case, why did you state originally, that you would trade for Darko because of his size and Shot Blocking? if by your so called most common definition, is someone who blocks shots, than why not trade for Jerome James? he's a 7 footer who has blocked a shot, has he not?

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 02:38:08 AM »

Offline fanofgreen

• Jaylen Brown
I cant believe I'm up at 2:30 in the morning, trying to explain why Darko Milicic is not a Shot-Blocker.  I will forever regret, wasting part of my life, engaging in conversation with someone who actually believes Darko Milicic is a shot-blocker.. LOL!!!! I have to laugh at my self for that one.

And Peace and God Bless, to all of those Darko loving Celtics fans out there in the world!

Im out!

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 07:12:07 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
1.  Don't make any dumb decisions based on knee-jerk reactions to tough games.  Everybody has a tough time with the back end of back-to-backs, it's not just us.  Tonight is not an indicator of "OMG!!!  WE NEED MOAR PG'Z!!!!1"  We have a couple - even with Marquis out - that are serviceable for 15 minutes a game.

2.  Shop around for a legitimate three - not 2's who can play the three if needed, like Marquis, TA, JR and Ray have all been used at times this year.  More specifically, we really need a wing who can shoot so we can space the floor for TA or Marquis at the backup point.  We have several expiring contracts who can be used to get a player who could be useful to us this year (and possibly into the future).  

Other than that, I think I'd sit tight.  I like our big rotation when healthy, and I think a shooting wing would make things a lot easier for the offense of the second unit while simultaneously removing the need to play Ray or Paul more minutes with the bench players.  

Keep in mind that no team is built to be a championship contender with it's two of its best players out.  Go down the line of contenders and remove two pieces from each of them:  take Gasol and Odom away from the Lakers, or Rashard and Pietrus away from Orlando.  Do any of these contenders still look like contenders now?  Of course not.  We're no different.  Like it or not, our hopes rest with an increasingly injury-prone PF, and no amount of maneuvering is going to change that fact.  We just have to hope he's healthy come May/June.

Per your #2, Corey Maggette would have been useful in this game. Yes, he comes with some warts, but he can be a go to guy when the rest of the team (ex-Rondo) is looking.... well..... old.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 08:31:44 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
How about Scal BBD TA and J.R. for Prince and Chucky Atkins? I feel like that would help us out. We would get Prince for one more year but hey we go out and keep Daniels and sign a backup PF next year and we could still contend.

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 09:38:05 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
How about Scal BBD TA and J.R. for Prince and Chucky Atkins? I feel like that would help us out. We would get Prince for one more year but hey we go out and keep Daniels and sign a backup PF next year and we could still contend.

Prince has played terribly this year and has a gimpy back. No thanks.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)