Author Topic: Today 10 years ago in Celtics history!  (Read 6307 times)

Today 10 years ago in Celtics history!
« on: June 24, 2008, 10:32:14 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
This Day in Celtics History
 June 24, 1998 - Paul Pierce is drafted.

its been a loong road ehh captain but I know a FUN one.
O Capitan mi Capitan!!!

1998    2008

Thanks and its nice to celebrate the day u were born as a Celtic.

BTW

heres one article of one of your favorite places  ::)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/30955-boston-celtics-paul-pierce-makes-good-on-draft-day-promise

Career highlights

NBA
NBA Champion: 2008
NBA Finals MVP: 2008
3-time All-NBA Third Team: 2002, 2003, 2008
6-time NBA All-Star: 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008
NBA All-Rookie First Team: 1999
NBA regular-season leader, total points: 2002 (2144)
NBA regular-season leader, free throws made: 2003 (604)

College
Named First Team All-America by the Associated Press after his junior year at the University of Kansas.
Named Big Eight Freshman of the Year in 1995-96.
MVP of the Big 12 Conference Tournament in both 1997 and 1998.

Other
Member of the US national team in the 2002 FIBA World Championship.[25]
Member of the 2006 USA Basketball World Championship Team (Did not play due to an elbow injury).

NBA records
Most free throws made without a miss, playoffs: 21 (Game 1, 2003 Eastern Conference First Round).
Most free throws made in one quarter, NBA Finals: 10 (Game 5, 2008 NBA Finals).

Boston Celtics franchise records
Scored 30 or more points in a franchise record 12 consecutive games
Most points scored in a game at TD Banknorth Garden: 50 (February 15, 2006 vs. Cleveland Cavaliers).
Most points scored in a half (including Overtime): 46 (December 1, 2001 2nd Half vs. New Jersey Nets).
Most points scored in an overtime period: 13 (December 1, 2001 vs. New Jersey Nets)
Most three-point field goals made, career: 989 (1998–present).
Most three-point field goals attempted, career: 2769 (1998–present).
Most free throws made in one game: 20 (November 2, 2002 vs. New York Knicks).
Most free throws attempted in one game: 24 (November 5, 2005 vs. New York Knicks).
Most free throws made in one half: 14 (March 2, 2001 vs. Utah Jazz).
Most free throws made in one season: 612 (2005-2006, breaking his own record of 604, set in 2002-2003).
Most free throws attempted in one season: 812 (2005-2006, breaking his own record of 753 in 2002-2003).
Most steals in one game: 9 (tied with Larry Bird; December 3, 1999 vs. Miami Heat).
Most free throws made without a miss, playoffs: 21 (Game 1, 2003 Eastern Conference First Round).
Most points scored in one half, playoffs: 32 (Game 4, 2003 Eastern Conference First Round vs. Indiana Pacers).
Highest scoring average through one month: 33.5 PPG (February 2006).
Only Celtics player in franchise history to lead the NBA in total points scored in a season, scoring 2,144 points in 2001-2002.
Playing with Celtics he accumulated 2,071 points in 2000-2001.
Career scoring average: 23.6 PPG, 2nd only to Larry Bird.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:42:53 PM by Roy Hobbs »
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Re: Today 11 years ago in Celtics history!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 10:46:18 AM »

Offline BigDanz2000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
11 years ago today I was shocked Pierce had fallen this far and unbelievably excited when he fell into the hands of the Boston Celtics.  PP is finally going to get the respect he deserves from the league.  We've seen it, its time for everyone else to witness it too.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 10:49:01 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
After watching him play at Kansas, I never could figure out why he fell so far.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:52:46 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
once Hughes got drafted (ah the problem with promises, you have to keep em), I was escastic, Dirk or Pierce, it couldn't get any better, and now looking back the way it turned out, Pierce was the better pick!
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 10:55:56 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
today is also jo jo white's birthday... :) (obviously longer than 11 years ago, but definitely worth mentioning).
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:56:24 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I still remember that draft night.  I was over at a buddy's house, who doesn't care about the NBA at all.  His dad and I were watching the draft, and from about the #6 pick on, I'm rooting for Paul to fall.  My friend's dad is like "You really like this Pierce kid, huh?"  I tell him "yeah, this guy is going to be a star, just wait". 

I'm glad that one worked out.  The other three players I've probably been most excited for on draft night?  Gerald Green, Ron Mercer, and Acie Earl.  Oops.  (Although I still think Mercer was a decent player).

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 11:36:49 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
This is why the draft is so great.  Obviously it changes the history of each team in the NBA.  Imagine Red didn't smartly get Bird the year before he came out.  Imagine someone else drafted Bias.  Imagine Pierce didn't fall into our lap.  Imagine we didn't pick up Leon Powe with a seemingly meaningless late pick.  (How'd that turn out LA?)  Every pick matters, it is my favorite draft in all of sports.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 11:39:55 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I still remember that draft night.  I was over at a buddy's house, who doesn't care about the NBA at all.  His dad and I were watching the draft, and from about the #6 pick on, I'm rooting for Paul to fall.  My friend's dad is like "You really like this Pierce kid, huh?"  I tell him "yeah, this guy is going to be a star, just wait". 

I'm glad that one worked out.  The other three players I've probably been most excited for on draft night?  Gerald Green, Ron Mercer, and Acie Earl.  Oops.  (Although I still think Mercer was a decent player).

I was excited over Green, most definitely - Mercer I thought was a solid pick at the spot - one guy I was definitely not excited over was Moiso, I had no idea who the guy was, and still really don't!
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 12:19:06 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I was excited over Green, most definitely - Mercer I thought was a solid pick at the spot - one guy I was definitely not excited over was Moiso, I had no idea who the guy was, and still really don't!

Yeah, I didn't like the Moiso pick, the Marcus Banks pick, the Joe Forte pick, or the Kendrick Brown pick.  I really wanted Troy Murphy and Tony Parker over Brown and Forte.  Inversely, I didn't really like the Delonte West pick, and wanted us to take Marcus Williams over Rondo.  So, I'm pretty hit and miss.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 12:43:27 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Pierce was drafted in 1998 (ten years ago, not 1997).

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 12:54:46 PM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
Pierce was drafted in 1998 (ten years ago, not 1997).

Correct. I was there (at the FleetCenter); I have the T-shirt: June 24, 1998. I was there with some colleagues from Germany, one of whom was a 1.98m-tall basketball player (that's 6'6" for the metric-impaired). They were more interested in Nowitzki, who went just before Pierce. We were all surprised that Peirce was still undrafted when the Celtics' pick came up.

The Celtics had a "Fandemonium" night at the FLeetCenter, with promotions and giveaways. They offered free tickets to season ticket holders.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 12:55:49 PM »

Offline celticsfan34

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 32
How could Celtics.com mess this up??? It says 1997 on their website. I still remember when he was drafted, it was one of the most memorable moments in Celtics history and the Celtics official website blew it.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 01:00:39 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
How could Celtics.com mess this up??? It says 1997 on their website. I still remember when he was drafted, it was one of the most memorable moments in Celtics history and the Celtics official website blew it.

well, we're so giddy right now that even the debacle of 1997 doesn't even look so bad at the moment... ;)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 01:13:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

OH man, I remember practically bursting with anxiety themoments before they picked Acie Earl.  I was nervvous as hell that someone else would pick him, and even more so when the Celts had their big chance they'd pass on Acie.  I was so darn excited when they picked him.  I don't even remember why.
Yup

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 01:28:08 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
The only color that matters is GREEN