Author Topic: How accurate are the barefoot heights on the Celtics?  (Read 20453 times)

How accurate are the barefoot heights on the Celtics?
« on: June 24, 2008, 12:51:01 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
I would like you to guess players heights on your own estimation, provided you've stood next to one of them at some point.

Anyway... I have never stood up close near any CURRENT Boston Celtics players... though I did meet Sebastian Telfair at an eatery outside TD Banknorth (forget what it's called, should have taken a picture with him) whom I can confirm is definitely not 6'0". Probably 5'10".... mayyybe 5'11" on a good day (barefoot). I was definitely taller than him and I'm under 6 feet.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=2008&sort2=ASC&draft=0&sort

Anywhow, let's look at the listed heights:

KG - 6'11": He's 6'11.75"
http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=Garnett+grew+slightly+from+6-11+to+%60%606-11+and+three-quarters%2C%27%27+as+Garnett+puts+it.+The+second-year+star+does+not+want+to+be+listed+at+7+feet%2C+although+he+might+already+be+there.&btnG=Search+Archives&um=1&scoring=t&as_ldate=1996&as_hdate=1996

Pierce - 6'6" barefoot according to his predraft height

Both Allen's are 6'3.5". Ray measured at that during the 00 olympics. Tony Allen's measurement is a predraft listing.

Powe says he's 6'8" hmmm

Big Baby says he's 6'9" YEAH RIGHT. Barefoot listing is 6'7.5"

Scalabrine is 6'8.75" barefoot... predraft

Pollard is 6'10" barefoot... predraft

Rajon Rondo didn't get his height done... I'm assuming he's about 6'1", he looks it

Kendrick Perkins didn't get his height done either... he always looked about Big Al's height, maybe a 1/2 inch taller, I'd give him about 6'9".

Eddie House is 5'11.75" barefoot according to 2000 predraft. Hmm seems shorter to me

Sam Cassell at 6'3"? Can't tell if it's accurate or not.

PJ Brown's barefoot listing in 1992 was 6'10"

James Posey's barefoot listing in 1999 was 6'6.5" Honestly I would have thought before seeing this that he was closer to his 6'8" listing. Maybe it's because he's so lanky

Gabe Pruitt... no way he's 6'4"
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:01:35 AM by TradeProposalDude »

Re: How accurate are the barefoot heights on the Celtics?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 12:58:54 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Keep in mind that all the "official" listings you see on places like NBA.com and ESPN.com are in shoes, rather than barefoot.  I'm sure many of them are still exaggerated, but the shoes add an additional 1" to 1.5".

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:40:55 AM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Ya, the visiting players walk past my seats and there is no way the listed heights are real.  We like to stand and try to guess their heights.  Smaller players always list higher and the really tall, legit 7's, usually lie lower! The arm span and shoe sizes seem pretty accurate tho.  Big mofo feet as well. Many have freakishly large hands as well.  Check out Allen Iversons hands some time.  They are bloody huge. That makes sense with his ball handling ability as well.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 10:44:22 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I read somewhere that KG has not been measured since his rookie year. If that is the case, the guy could be a legit 7'2 now.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 11:57:11 AM »

• Jaylen Brown
I read somewhere that KG has not been measured since his rookie year. If that is the case, the guy could be a legit 7'2 now.
No way he's 7'2". He's 7' or a little bit under.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 12:07:35 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

"A long, lean 6-foot-11 forward who's actually at least 2 inches taller than his listed height, Garnett's athleticism has allowed him to play all over the court -- banging against bodies in the post, swatting away shots in the lane, running the fast break, shooting top-of-the-key jumpers and even playing point guard every once in a while".

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2007/07/more_details_on.html

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 12:14:34 PM »

• Jaylen Brown

"A long, lean 6-foot-11 forward who's actually at least 2 inches taller than his listed height, Garnett's athleticism has allowed him to play all over the court -- banging against bodies in the post, swatting away shots in the lane, running the fast break, shooting top-of-the-key jumpers and even playing point guard every once in a while".

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/2007/07/more_details_on.html

You have to remember that heights in the NBA are listed with shoes on. Technically, KG is 7'1" in shoes, if he is 6'11 3/4" barefoot.

The argument is over whether he is 6'11 3/4" or 7'0"... he is definitely not 7'2".

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
this came up in another thread, he's 7-0 to 7-1.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 12:24:55 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
Actually the "height" of the players is one of the most useless statistics. It is the standing reach and wingspan that matters. Kevin McHale and Bird were almost the same height but those super long arms set high on his shoulders gave McHale a MUCH longer standing reach.
I find adding the standing reach to the no step jump gives me a good idea of whether the guy can get his shot over or block a shot. It is no means perfect as all sorts of other things enter into it like body size and timing, etc. But it is much more an indicator than the top of the guy's head. (it is those shorter guys with the long arms that kick my butt on the court-LOL).

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 12:28:49 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
KG is 6'11" and change barefoot, and that is why he insists on being listed as, even though almost every "official" listing is with shoes.  His reason is that, before he came around, "7 footer" almost automatically meant "center with limited skills that plays around the basket."  That's why many believe KG revolutionized the power forward position and how people thought about big men. 

Bill Walton has said KG is at least 7'1" in shoes.  KG looked down by an inch or two when he an Zaza went nose to nose. 

By my estimations, he is probably about 6'11.5" barefoot, 7'1" in shoes..... or as he has said before, 6'13".

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 12:34:00 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

KG is definitely over 7 foot.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 12:46:25 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I would say that Perk is taller than PJ Brown but other than that, the measurements that are coming from draft measurements all look about right.

What I like to do is use these to compare to the draftees coming in.  What this means is that Beasley is about as tall a BBD but with longer arms.  I definitely liked him a whole lot more at 6-10 than 6-8 but I would say that based on BBD that Beasley is going to be plenty big enough.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:49:14 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I remember Grande saying KG is 7'1", but wants to be known as 6'11" because he doesn't like to play center and doesn't want to be listed as one.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 12:55:25 PM »

Offline CLeht11

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 2
Yeah, he's definitely not 6-11 regardless of what he says.  NBA.com lists both Zaza and KG at 6-11, but if you look at this: http://www.nba.com/media/hawks/vsCeltics_Game4_2008_6.jpg, KG's chin is ~2 inches higher than Zaza's.

He is definitely ~7'1"
Who said the East was the JV conference? See you next year, Mr. Bryant!

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 01:01:04 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
I just cringed when I saw that picture.

It's only been a month or so, but I had forgotten how ugly Zaza is.