Author Topic: Have you wanted anything for longer?  (Read 3502 times)

Have you wanted anything for longer?
« on: June 23, 2008, 10:45:41 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
So I am sitting here stuck in a hotel room in San Angelo Texas and I am as content as can be.  Why?  Because I am listening to the podcast of Sunday night's show and still riding the high on the eve of the one week anniversary of the Celtics 17th championship.  "Anything is possible!!!"

Sometimes I have to pinch myself because I am in such disbeleif.  I am 32 years old. I was 10 when the Celts won their last title and my parents decided it was a good idea to spend the day on a boat at a family outing.  My brother and I listened to the game on the radio, and had to put up with some other kid asking us what inning it was.  Despite all that, it was perfect.  I was 8 when I last saw the celts win a title with my own eyes.  Amazing.  I have spent almost 3/4ths of my life waiting for that moment last week.

I can honestly say that I have not wanted something for a longer time than this title.  When I was kid, waiting for a few weeks for the next transformer was pretty bad. I waited 16 years for the new star wars to come out but I had no idea it was coming so that was easy.  Heck, I'm single and I've really only been looking for The Girl for the past 5 years. I'm waiting for hair metal to make a comeback, but I know that ain't happening.

It's been a week and I am still content. The Celtics are champions. Life's good.

Now I just need that girl and life would be set.

Re: Have you wanted anything for longer?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 10:52:55 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
So I am sitting here stuck in a hotel room in San Angelo Texas and I am as content as can be.  Why?  Because I am listening to the podcast of Sunday night's show and still riding the high on the eve of the one week anniversary of the Celtics 17th championship.  "Anything is possible!!!"

Sometimes I have to pinch myself because I am in such disbeleif.  I am 32 years old. I was 10 when the Celts won their last title and my parents decided it was a good idea to spend the day on a boat at a family outing.  My brother and I listened to the game on the radio, and had to put up with some other kid asking us what inning it was.  Despite all that, it was perfect.  I was 8 when I last saw the celts win a title with my own eyes.  Amazing.  I have spent almost 3/4ths of my life waiting for that moment last week.

I can honestly say that I have not wanted something for a longer time than this title.  When I was kid, waiting for a few weeks for the next transformer was pretty bad. I waited 16 years for the new star wars to come out but I had no idea it was coming so that was easy.  Heck, I'm single and I've really only been looking for The Girl for the past 5 years. I'm waiting for hair metal to make a comeback, but I know that ain't happening.

It's been a week and I am still content. The Celtics are champions. Life's good.

Now I just need that girl and life would be set.

I hear what you're saying.  It's definitely nice.  I think once they raise the flag on Opening night next season the 2008 Celtics place in the franchise's history will become tangibly real for me.

As for the girl, what worked for me was just plain giving up the search.  I decided to just stop worrying about finding someone so much and start concentrating on myself a lot more.  Once that mindset changed the girl I'd worked next door to for several years noticed me in a different way.  We were married within a year, and have had a good thing going for 8 years now.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 11:21:01 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Ah, girls...  I'll stick to basketball.

In terms of things I've waited for / looked forward to, this ranks hand-in-hand with the Red Sox winning the World Series.  Now, if we can get the Bears to win the Super Bowl and the Bruins to win a Stanley Cup, my sports viewing life will be complete.

In doing my little mental checklist of "big events" in my life, it was surprising how high this ranked.  I have it about on par with finding out I passed the Bar Exam, which should show just how screwed up my priorities really are.  ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 11:24:53 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I've wanted HBO to give me a Deadwood finale. >:(
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 11:30:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

What a debacle that whole thing turned into, huh?  That was one of the best shows on television in a long time, and they just ended it without any sort of wrap up.  That irritates me to no end.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 11:38:39 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

What a debacle that whole thing turned into, huh?  That was one of the best shows on television in a long time, and they just ended it without any sort of wrap up.  That irritates me to no end.

I pretty much gave up on HBO. I canceled my subscription after The Sopranos finale, renewed it for The Wire, and then cancelled it again. I might order again for Entourage, but I doubt it. I'll just probably wait and rent it on DVD.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 11:51:07 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
Flight of the Conchords on HBO is worth checking out...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 11:55:31 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Curb Your Enthusiasm is solid. The Krazee Eyed Killa episode has me laughing every time.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 11:58:10 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Wait just a minute, hair metal is out?

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 12:20:55 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
It is indeed a good time to be a New England sports fan ... and but for the Pats loss in the Super Bowl, I would have said this was all meant to be. Even though I try to shy away from fatalism, I still fall victim at times, and in this case I've come to the conclusion that this year was just a "warm-up", and that World Championships are most certainly in store for the Celtics, Red Sox, Bruins, Patriots, and Revolution for next season.  ;) While I've wanted things for longer in my life, the list would be short, especially in the case of the Celtics. As far as women, I've discovered over time that as soon as you stop "looking" for them, they start looking for you! Love's a hit-and-miss proposition anyway, and it doesn't hurt to take your time ... it will find you when you least expect it ... and it will be worth the wait!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 12:25:23 AM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23

Right - at least Arrested Development had some sort of closure. Two new shows I've stumbled onto on DVD - Dexter (Showtime version) and Weeds...
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 01:09:15 AM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
Talk about things happening for a reason...I started this thread about three hours ago.  I watched the last four episodes of entourage season 1 on my computer, log back on to celtics blog, and notice that my post transformed into a post about shows on HBO.  Weird!?!

With that said...if you are a guy somewhere in your mid-20's to mid-30s...you have got to watch entourage.  Especially if you have a group of buddies that you are close to.  Absolutely brilliant.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 01:10:28 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'm still waiting for Godot
When you love life, life loves you right back