Author Topic: Sam Cassell wants to come back; how does that effect House? (merged)  (Read 21068 times)

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Not sure who saw this Baltimore Sun article among the links on the front page - "Cassell not ready to ring out career." Thoughts? Many here seem to have already dropped Cassell from the roster. But, he's certainly sure.  He also has the confidence of Garnett And Ray Allen, and he'd likely sign for the veteran minimum. That's something House may not do, especially without the prospect of steady minutes.

Here are the highlights:

"I'm playing next year, playing my 16th year," Cassell said without hesitation, minutes after the conclusion of the game put on by his friend and fellow Dunbar alumnus Kurk Lee, benefiting Lee's foundation.

"After winning a championship, it's just so hard to walk away from that," Cassell said, describing the title he contributed to with the Celtics last week, their 17th in franchise history and Cassell's third. "Certain guys did it, but as I tell the guys, every great movie has a sequel. And since we consider ourselves a great team, we've got to go and repeat."

Coaching in the NBA is still his dream, he said. But even as he turns 39 early next season, Cassell wants to put that off to try to end his playing days the way they began, with two straight championships.

He didn't play a lot in the playoffs, even when starting point guard Rajon Rondo was injured in the Finals, and sometimes looked his age when he did. But his impact off the court (veteran guidance for Rondo and even Finals Most Valuable Player Paul Pierce) and on (scoring bursts in games 1 and 5) can't be minimized.

He even felt compelled to defer to his teammates in the record Game 6 rout, with the title in sight. "Doc wanted to put me in the game in the fourth quarter when we went up by 30 points," he said. "I said, "Doc, no, let those guys play. I'll just stay here and enjoy it."

Re: Sam Cassell will be back.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 07:25:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
very well may be, but i'll wait for danny to confirm it.

i'm sure sam wants to be back, but i'll wait for the word from his boss  ;)

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 07:25:49 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I don't care what he does, so long as it isn't with the Celtics as an active player.  If they want to offer him a coaching job, that's fine.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 07:27:46 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
oh goodie... maybe he can help make the regular season as difficult as he made the playoffs.

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 07:38:30 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Count me in the small but vocal minority that wants Cassell back in Green next year.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 07:40:59 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Sequels never have all the same characters though ;D

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 07:42:44 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Who knows what he is teaching Rondo, etc.

Anyways, he could help mentor Pruitt, right? Sam can score, once in a while, in spurts.. and he can talk big too with a swagger!

Actually, even though most of us people are trashing him like he's the worst 13th player ever, but come on.. Maybe he can learn some plays, and then he will have no excuse but to run plays most of the time. He has the whole summer, right? =)

BTW, I don't think this sequel will have the same characters. I'm pretty sure there will be a few more new additions, whether unpleasant or pleasant.

Anyways, sequels never have half of their characters already gone after a successful first one.

Will Sam part 2 Mean no House?!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 07:45:13 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I have a theory that I have had since late in the season that Eddie House will only sign with us for next year if Sam Cassell is not on the roster. Considering the fact that he got the shaft once Sam came aboard, he probably doesn't feel like Doc is all that impressed with him. Even when Sam was obviously on a different page than the rest of the team, and missing his shots badly, he continued to go with Sam. If I was House and went through that I would definitely have that as one of my issues before I committed to them again. Had Doc not reverted to House in the finals and sat Sam out for most of it I doubt he would even consider giving them a chance at re-upping him. Thoughts?!

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 07:46:51 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Who knows what he is teaching Rondo, etc.

Anyways, he could help mentor Pruitt, right? Sam can score, once in a while, in spurts.. and he can talk big too with a swagger!

Actually, even though most of us people are trashing him like he's the worst 13th player ever, but come on.. Maybe he can learn some plays, and then he will have no excuse but to run plays most of the time. He has the whole summer, right? =)

BTW, I don't think this sequel will have the same characters. I'm pretty sure there will be a few more new additions, whether unpleasant or pleasant.

Anyways, sequels never have half of their characters already gone after a successful first one.

I agree - Sam ranged from occasionally useful to shaky to downright awful during his stint here, but he provides a valuable veteran voice for Rondo on the team.  I would rather see Eddie with those minutes than Sam, but you have to admit Sam will help this team more next year than Pruitt would.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 07:47:35 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Those legs will only get one year older and one year slower. He played "Matador" defense this year so much so that Doc went back on his plan and benched him and put House back in. Why would we think he will get any better defensively?! There are a lot of guys, namely House, who are better offensive shooters, so you look at other options.

Re: Will Sam part 2 Mean no House?!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Rightfully so for both parties, IMO. If Sam is resigned, what's the point of keeping House? Whether you believe that Cassell is a good fit for the team or not, if one signs, the other will not. It's redundant to keep both on the roster when there are better uses for the roster spot. And why would House resign if Sam is on the team? Unless it's for significantly more money, it would be pointless for him.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 07:56:50 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Rightfully so for both parties, IMO. If Sam is resigned, what's the point of keeping House? Whether you believe that Cassell is a good fit for the team or not, if one signs, the other will not. It's redundant to keep both on the roster when there are better uses for the roster spot. And why would House resign if Sam is on the team? Unless it's for significantly more money, it would be pointless for him.

Especially since they are high on Pruitt being able to contribute perhaps next year.  Once one of them is signed then I believe the other will be out the door.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 07:57:37 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I wonder how much Cassell has left? Or if he'd be that much of a better fit with this team given a pre-season to work with the staff? We already know House fits and works. He makes the most sense unless there is some option out there I'm not aware of. It would be ideal to have a veteran PG to back up Rondo, but how many of those are there out there?
Now, on to 18...

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 07:59:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The easiest way to rectify this potential travesty?  Don't resign Sam.  Eddie is ten times the player he is right now.

Let's be clear that the only person who says the Celts are resigning Sam right now is Sam.  Until it becomes official, I'm hoping it doesn't happen.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 08:00:54 PM »

Offline Truth Hurts

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Let's not jump to conclusions just because Sam says he's coming back. I haven't heard Ainge or anyone who matters saying that he will be re-signed.

I really don't think there is a spot for him here. House was huge in the post-season, and Sam was puzzling, to be generous.

House can handle the ball against many teams (including LA). All we need is another point who can handle backcourt pressure. Maybe Pruitt is ready to be that guy.
"Odom drains another 16-footer. It's 24-7, Lakers. They look so possessed on both ends that they've earned at least five sitting ovations from the Lakers' crowd." - Simmons